Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,308 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,501 reviews
on March 10, 2017
The novel begins as a series of posts, which although an interesting way to describe the main character's view of the developing crisis, didn't give me high hopes. However, while still retaining the first person viewpoint, journal entries expand into linked stories containing fully realized settings and interesting characters, both living and dead. I couldn't stop reading. Buen escrito!
on October 27, 2012
Kept me engrossed the whole time. Louriero...and translator...have an easy style that made the pages fly by. The only writing bump was L's insistence on ending too many chapters with "...and I needed to do it fast." This attempt to heighten tension had the opposite effect, jolting me out of the story because I was repeatedly being hit over the head with the same pacing technique.

The conceit of writing this as a series of blog or journal entries worked well. It was such a natural framework that it highlighted missed opportunities for character development.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
When our protagonist met the two survivors in the hospital, he must have had an emotional reaction to having company after so long alone or almost alone. And they were female! Surely this would have brought up thoughts from him. His acceptance of them without much comment means either that he's not introspective...which I don't buy, since he muses about other psychological matters, like his growing numbness to violence...or maybe the author was afraid to lose forward momentum. Or maybe some other reason, but in any case I wanted to catch more of our protagonist's inner life at such moments. The blank spot of months spent recuperating, but missing entirely from the journal, was a wasted opportunity both in character development and in pacing, which would have benefited from a break in the constant rhythm of fight-run-fight.

I look forward to the next translated book in the series, when we'll have a chance to observe our protagonist against the backdrop of increased human interaction.
on November 29, 2012
Today, I feel compelled to defend Mr. Loureiro writing style.
When reading a novel originally written in another language, keep in mind that speech patterns and language rhythm differ greatly from country to country. It usually takes a few pages to immerse yourself deep enough to ignore such potentially odd patterns. The translator doesn't have an easy job. He/she has to try to "Americanize" expressions unique to the original language -so they can make sense to the reader- while trying to keep the author's "voice" intact. Vocabulary usage also suffers in a similar manner.
I'm telling you this because I really liked Mr. Loureiro's book, even though I believe that the first 2 pages or so are a bit lame and they might discourage readers that value good writing. It seems that some merciless critics, here, in Amazon, never bothered to read past those first pages and condemned the novel as a whole.
I can understand some of their reasons, though. For example, you might also think that some of Mr. Loureiro's descriptions or facts sound a bit farfetched, like the 10-feet-tall fence around his house. Well, I'm originally from Spain, so I know for a fact that some people do have very high fences around their properties. Privacy is big in Spain. My Grandparents' house in the country had a 3-feet-wide x 9-feet-tall stone fence surrounding the 3 acres...same height as all the other fences in the neighborhood.
Europeans and Americans have completely different lifestyles. Don't forget that as you read this novel!
So, please, judge the book mostly for its entertaining value, for how it makes you want to skip another 2 hours of sleep, yearning to know what happens in the next chapter. I guarantee you'll get hooked right from the beginning and you won't want to put it down!
on March 18, 2013
Apocalypse Z removes the impression that if there was a zombie apocalypse it would only happen in America. The book was refreshing because it takes place in Spain - this is an excellent translation of the original Spanish text. It is standard zombie convention which I enjoy and it is done very well. The author demonstrates that the genre does not have to be unnecessarily stretched to be unique - it is ironic to even state this but I like my post-apocalyptic events plausible please. What works well is a believable and identifiable 'every man' main character compared with so many of these efforts that choose a 'special forces' type as the survivor which I find lazy.

The plot moves from a claustrophobic start to interesting escape that leads to an original mystery further propelling the story. The action and scale won me over with haunting images of society turned upside-down and nearly wiped out. I like my zombies slow but in large numbers, enough detail to paint the scene but not so much that my imagination will not take over, and a pace that makes the heart beat faster with each page turn. This book delivered on all making it one of the best that I have read in some time. Now I will say something I am not usually compelled to say, "Sequel please!"
on November 27, 2012
Apocalyse Z is a true page turner. It was really difficult for me to put it down. In fact, as soon as I finished the first book I bought the other two books that complete this superb trilogy. The author has crafted a zombie apocalypse tale that feels realistic and that make you feel you are inside of the story along with the main character.

The story is told completely from the point of view of a lawyer who writes on his blog his thoughts of what is happening in his life. Later he writes on a journal that he keeps with him all the time. This lawyer is a really normal type of person that has to learn to be stronger in order to keep himself and his cat alive during this nightmare of the invasion of the undead.

The story is really well written, the descriptions of his encounters with the zombies are exiting, the way he dressed to protect himself from zombie bites is hilarious (but smart at the same time) and the narration on how he traveled from place to place to escape from all the madness make this book an addictive page turner.

This book was translated from Spanish, but I find it is an excellent translation. The other two books of the series are only in Spanish. But I read at the author's Facebook page that soon (2013) the second book will be translated for the enjoyment of all the fans.

I have read a good amount of books in the zombie genre, and Apocalyse Z is definitely the number 1 in my list. I really liked World War Z and other zombie books but this one is one is so good that I'm pretty sure you will also put it at the top of your list. This book is definitely worth having in your zombie/horror collection.
on September 4, 2017
Relentless. That's how I describe this book. The action picks up almost immediately and then doesn't stop for the entire novel. Although it has a fairly standard progression for a zombie story -- first reports, widening outbreak, then survival -- the journal entry style and the author's voice give it a gritty edge that separates it from its rivals.

The story will draw you in, making it hard to stop until its over. And then you may want a little time to recover before starting book 2.
on October 7, 2013
Love good horror but was over the zombie hurrah about the time it started. I felt like horror was being ruined - between vamps being embarrassed by Twilight and movies like Zombie Strippers - personally have been reading more and more mysteries, especially the ones from Iceland and the Nordic countries. But Apocalypse Z was recommended to me, it went on sale at some point and the reviews were intriguing, especially the ones by people who, like me, were not zombie fans. So I tried it - couldn't put it down and finished it in about 2 days. I am now waiting for tomorrow when the next book is supposed to be available.

Is the book perfect - no. Is the book a good read - YES. Have read comments comparing or calling the author "the Spanish Stephen King" and have to admit that it almost turned me away. Personally, I would love to find some good horror comparable to early King, McCammon or Simmons but so far, all the new authors hailed as the "new ..." have been a disappointment for me - except for this one.

If you like good horror - enjoy being on the edge of your seat occasionally while you read - and love finding a book that you just can't wait to get back to? - then give it up, buy this book and read it!!
on July 5, 2013
This story incorporates what is now a standard "zombies take over the world" genre into a Southern European setting. The first person "journalized" narrative effectively brings the reader inside the story while discouraging attempts to guess how the future will unwind. The author rightly avoids any mention about tomorrow in these journals and brings the reader along with the characters as though he or she was also there. I don't always decide to follow sequels because some are just extended versions of what could be a single novel, fortified by repetition and unnecessary minutiae. In this case, I will.
on December 28, 2012
I can see why someone here said there is not much new in this, as I thought the same thing when I was reading it for a while --very good, but little new ground covered... But then in the last half and as I continued to the end, I found myself profoundly drawn to what it does do differently.

First, I am not professing to have seen or read all zombie fiction... But I do think you'd have a hard time finding more than a few hundred people alive who've seen more, and often with repeated viewings and readings.

The blog format was actually something i loved, it made it feel very real, and it harkened back to the great horror stories of yore, namely Dracula and Frankenstein. And I completely think the voice of the narrator is great. Authentic, relatable, funny, etc... Unlike other critics here, who clearly didn't get it, the narrator is a lawyer, not an author, so it makes sense his prose wouldn't be the most eloquent, and that in the course of 300 pages of blog entries chronicling the zombie apocalypse, he just might end a paragraph or two with, "that sucks!"...

Anyway, back to what i liked: Walking dead has this, as do some other zombie fiction I've seen/read, but the sense of feeling the weight with the author, and seeing him change over the course of the book. I really felt like i got to know him, and how he'd respond to the situations in front of him, and why someone (incuding myself) might feel that way. It gets you very much in his head, the same way the dexter novels gets you in the head of a serial killer, by having the voice of the narrator be so compelling and seemingly genuine.

And much of that is only accomplished by the sensation of time passing... Over the course of this book he visits several locales, and has quite an adventure.. It feels long, much longer than most zombie fiction, and I loved it for that... And the notion that this is just book one of three, makes me even more excited.

The chronicle of its spreading from inception was much more interesting to me than the tales from world war z-- which to be frank, I never finished (too much like short stories for me). The way a hemisphere or so went dark, and had blacked out Internet, etc... The opening 50-100 pages or so felt a lot like the movie contagion to me, or really any pandemic-type story... And I can't remember much zombie fiction that had such intricate and dedicated focus on the geopolitical nature of it in the beginning, but then devolves into a man vs nature after the apocalypse type story... It was a refreshing change up, just as each new section, encounter, and location of the book was-- which again contributed to my feeling it was a very enjoyably authentic chronicle of what a random survivor might go through in the apocalypse.

And of course, now I also know one thing no one has ever told me through other zombie tales -- I need a neoprene diving suit now... ya know, just in case the dead do rise....

AND please, publishers, amazon, whoever -- let's put a rush on the translations of book two and three in the series... I'm desperate to know what happens next!
on February 10, 2014
It’s hard to find a zombie novel that leaves an indelible impression, because let’s face it, the storylines are often indistinguishable: World Plague. Infected become zombies who can spread through biting. Lone or few survivors fight zombies and each other, revealing humanity’s ugliness. Either everyone dies at the end or there’s hope for a new beginning. APOCALYPSE Z, though, is one I’m going to keep in my box to re-read on occasion; the eloquent writing and sharp descriptions resulted in some of the most stunning, chill-inducing moments I’ve ever experienced in a zombie novel. The best example appears on pages 120 and 121 in the paperback edition, in which the protagonist finds a zombie baby stuck in a high chair (I’m not going to quote it here, just get this book and read those two pages. Amazing). And then there are more poignant moments; from page 185 of the paperback edition: “Packets of noodle soup had been torn open in the shuffle; the entire floor was covered with little stars. I don’t know why, but that image jolted me like an electric shock, more than any other atrocity I’d witnessed./I collapsed against a wall, exhausted, eyeing all that pasta on the floor. I remembered how my mother and I had fixed soup on rainy days. That memory was intense and painful. I’d stored away that anguish, but now it flooded me in an unstoppable torrent. I mourned silently, big tears rolling down my face.” Fine stuff. Loureiro has taken the zombie novel to an intelligent, literary level. As far as zombie novel’s go, this one’s unforgettable.