Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 1,306 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,496 reviews
on November 27, 2012
Apocalyse Z is a true page turner. It was really difficult for me to put it down. In fact, as soon as I finished the first book I bought the other two books that complete this superb trilogy. The author has crafted a zombie apocalypse tale that feels realistic and that make you feel you are inside of the story along with the main character.

The story is told completely from the point of view of a lawyer who writes on his blog his thoughts of what is happening in his life. Later he writes on a journal that he keeps with him all the time. This lawyer is a really normal type of person that has to learn to be stronger in order to keep himself and his cat alive during this nightmare of the invasion of the undead.

The story is really well written, the descriptions of his encounters with the zombies are exiting, the way he dressed to protect himself from zombie bites is hilarious (but smart at the same time) and the narration on how he traveled from place to place to escape from all the madness make this book an addictive page turner.

This book was translated from Spanish, but I find it is an excellent translation. The other two books of the series are only in Spanish. But I read at the author's Facebook page that soon (2013) the second book will be translated for the enjoyment of all the fans.

I have read a good amount of books in the zombie genre, and Apocalyse Z is definitely the number 1 in my list. I really liked World War Z and other zombie books but this one is one is so good that I'm pretty sure you will also put it at the top of your list. This book is definitely worth having in your zombie/horror collection.
on October 7, 2013
Love good horror but was over the zombie hurrah about the time it started. I felt like horror was being ruined - between vamps being embarrassed by Twilight and movies like Zombie Strippers - personally have been reading more and more mysteries, especially the ones from Iceland and the Nordic countries. But Apocalypse Z was recommended to me, it went on sale at some point and the reviews were intriguing, especially the ones by people who, like me, were not zombie fans. So I tried it - couldn't put it down and finished it in about 2 days. I am now waiting for tomorrow when the next book is supposed to be available.

Is the book perfect - no. Is the book a good read - YES. Have read comments comparing or calling the author "the Spanish Stephen King" and have to admit that it almost turned me away. Personally, I would love to find some good horror comparable to early King, McCammon or Simmons but so far, all the new authors hailed as the "new ..." have been a disappointment for me - except for this one.

If you like good horror - enjoy being on the edge of your seat occasionally while you read - and love finding a book that you just can't wait to get back to? - then give it up, buy this book and read it!!
on July 5, 2013
This story incorporates what is now a standard "zombies take over the world" genre into a Southern European setting. The first person "journalized" narrative effectively brings the reader inside the story while discouraging attempts to guess how the future will unwind. The author rightly avoids any mention about tomorrow in these journals and brings the reader along with the characters as though he or she was also there. I don't always decide to follow sequels because some are just extended versions of what could be a single novel, fortified by repetition and unnecessary minutiae. In this case, I will.
on December 28, 2012
I can see why someone here said there is not much new in this, as I thought the same thing when I was reading it for a while --very good, but little new ground covered... But then in the last half and as I continued to the end, I found myself profoundly drawn to what it does do differently.

First, I am not professing to have seen or read all zombie fiction... But I do think you'd have a hard time finding more than a few hundred people alive who've seen more, and often with repeated viewings and readings.

The blog format was actually something i loved, it made it feel very real, and it harkened back to the great horror stories of yore, namely Dracula and Frankenstein. And I completely think the voice of the narrator is great. Authentic, relatable, funny, etc... Unlike other critics here, who clearly didn't get it, the narrator is a lawyer, not an author, so it makes sense his prose wouldn't be the most eloquent, and that in the course of 300 pages of blog entries chronicling the zombie apocalypse, he just might end a paragraph or two with, "that sucks!"...

Anyway, back to what i liked: Walking dead has this, as do some other zombie fiction I've seen/read, but the sense of feeling the weight with the author, and seeing him change over the course of the book. I really felt like i got to know him, and how he'd respond to the situations in front of him, and why someone (incuding myself) might feel that way. It gets you very much in his head, the same way the dexter novels gets you in the head of a serial killer, by having the voice of the narrator be so compelling and seemingly genuine.

And much of that is only accomplished by the sensation of time passing... Over the course of this book he visits several locales, and has quite an adventure.. It feels long, much longer than most zombie fiction, and I loved it for that... And the notion that this is just book one of three, makes me even more excited.

The chronicle of its spreading from inception was much more interesting to me than the tales from world war z-- which to be frank, I never finished (too much like short stories for me). The way a hemisphere or so went dark, and had blacked out Internet, etc... The opening 50-100 pages or so felt a lot like the movie contagion to me, or really any pandemic-type story... And I can't remember much zombie fiction that had such intricate and dedicated focus on the geopolitical nature of it in the beginning, but then devolves into a man vs nature after the apocalypse type story... It was a refreshing change up, just as each new section, encounter, and location of the book was-- which again contributed to my feeling it was a very enjoyably authentic chronicle of what a random survivor might go through in the apocalypse.

And of course, now I also know one thing no one has ever told me through other zombie tales -- I need a neoprene diving suit now... ya know, just in case the dead do rise....

AND please, publishers, amazon, whoever -- let's put a rush on the translations of book two and three in the series... I'm desperate to know what happens next!
on February 10, 2014
It’s hard to find a zombie novel that leaves an indelible impression, because let’s face it, the storylines are often indistinguishable: World Plague. Infected become zombies who can spread through biting. Lone or few survivors fight zombies and each other, revealing humanity’s ugliness. Either everyone dies at the end or there’s hope for a new beginning. APOCALYPSE Z, though, is one I’m going to keep in my box to re-read on occasion; the eloquent writing and sharp descriptions resulted in some of the most stunning, chill-inducing moments I’ve ever experienced in a zombie novel. The best example appears on pages 120 and 121 in the paperback edition, in which the protagonist finds a zombie baby stuck in a high chair (I’m not going to quote it here, just get this book and read those two pages. Amazing). And then there are more poignant moments; from page 185 of the paperback edition: “Packets of noodle soup had been torn open in the shuffle; the entire floor was covered with little stars. I don’t know why, but that image jolted me like an electric shock, more than any other atrocity I’d witnessed./I collapsed against a wall, exhausted, eyeing all that pasta on the floor. I remembered how my mother and I had fixed soup on rainy days. That memory was intense and painful. I’d stored away that anguish, but now it flooded me in an unstoppable torrent. I mourned silently, big tears rolling down my face.” Fine stuff. Loureiro has taken the zombie novel to an intelligent, literary level. As far as zombie novel’s go, this one’s unforgettable.
on September 7, 2013
There are many books written in diary format in zombie-world, and very few of them that I particularly enjoyed. If I had known that Apocalypse Z was written as a diary, I therefore probably would have passed it over, but I'm glad I didn't. I believe that the name of the main character is never revealed, and although there's a chance it's my memory failing me, I'm pretty sure from one of the final scenes of the book that this is on purpose. So for the purposes of my review I shall call him Survivor Man.

Originally written in Spanish, and translated recently into English, Apocalypse Z is the journal of Survivor Man, a widowed lawyer, and his cat, Lucullus, and their experience of the global zombie apocalypse. What I really liked about the journal format in this case was that he does include a lot of information about the fall of the world to the undead, and that his journey always has a purpose - whether searching for other survivors, or escaping a bunch of dodgy sailors and their crazy captain - and he's also dedicated to his cat.

Pets in the apocalypse are rarely touched upon, and although there a few examples of dogs as companions or family members while fighting zombies, this is probably the first one I've come across with a cat - and as a cat person, it was a huge added bonus.

There was a turn in the plot halfway through, when Survivor Man meets a bunch of sailors on their ship, and this is where Apocalypse Z lost me a little, because I didn't really understand the point of it, and it all seemed a little far fetched and unnecessary. It did drive the rest of the plot, but it didn't sit very well with me - it felt like the author had imagined the most unlikely scenario possible just for the sake of having something unique, rather than something that fit.

Overall Apocalypse Z is a good, solid zombie read. It didn't blow me away, but it was enough to keep me satisfied and turning the pages, and I loved that the main character was so dedicated to his cat, and treated it more like a person than 'just an animal'. It does have some unique aspects, but not all of them felt to me like they belonged. However, I'll be interested to see where this series goes next, however currently the next book is not yet translated into English.
on January 21, 2013
This book was just very nicely done. As all are aware, there is quite a glut of zombie literature out and available. No matter how careful you are in your selections, you will run across a stinker now and then. I can very happily say that Apocolypse Z is in the high end of this literature. Mr. Loureiro has taken the first step in writing a successful zombie novel and that is creating an everyman to fight them that we can all identify with. No hero, no master soldier and no survivalist. Just a lawyer with some life skills and a will to live. Zombies are nicely written and described, and while reading this we can all picture ourselves in our protaganist's shoes as he is just an ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances.

Nice plotting, nice pacing, excellent characterizations and you just have to love the cat! All in all, I highly recommend this novel for anyone who likes a good read, regardless of genre. I truly hope enough copies sell so that they translate the two sequels as quickly as possible.
on January 11, 2013
This is a really unique, refreshing story for those who love books about zombies. The story is written as entries in the main character's journal. Personally, I'm really happy the story was written this way. The author leaves you hanging and imagining the worst for the character at the end of each journal entry. I am so drawn into the book that I REALLY don't want the main character to die, so knowing there's another journal entry after is a huge relief. It's exciting to begin reading every journal entry, because I want to know exactly how he possibly could have survived whatever he wrote he was going to face at the end of each entry.

The story keeps me in its grips at every moment. The author writes really terrifying scenarios so you always feel that the main character is in danger all the time. I never felt that the main character was safe, so I could never get relaxed and get bored.

The setting is also not in the United States, which is really refreshing for this genre. There are lots of zombie survival stories set where the survivors are navigating the United States. It's really nice to read about navigating a different part of the world. It feels that the conflict is completely globalized instead of knowing only the state of affairs in the United States and then just guessing how the rest of the world is handling it. In this book, you are very sure that the entire world has gone down the drain, which really makes the main character that much more amazing for being able to survive.

The addition of other non-zombie related dangers in the plot is really enjoyable also. It makes the story much more rich and interesting.

In summation, I found this book to be a must-read for enthusiasts of zombie survival stories and for anyone who wants to feel really scared. It's not the same old thing re-hashed and it is highly entertaining.
on March 27, 2014
I stumbled across this book, and after reading a few pages found myself completely caught up in it. The viewpoint of the story is told as a man is writing in a journal for therapy, and quite by accident finds himself recording the end of civilization as we know it. It also gives the story a real immediacy. Reading this book is like falling into a river and being totally washed away. You can't stop, you're left breathless, you're scared, and in spite of yourself a little exhilarated too.

I see other reviews calling Manel Loureiro the Spanish Stephen King, and I totally get the comparison. As an avid King fan growing up, I loved scaring the crud out of myself. Not many books have that ability. And living in today's culture, it takes a lot to really freak us out. This book had me checking out my windows before going up to bed at night, and feeling like I ought to be storing canned food and bottled water in the basement.

On top of a great plot, the writing is excellent too, which for a book translated into English really speaks volumes. I think it took me all of 3 days to burn through. Now all I'm wondering is how long before they make it into a movie (and would I be able to watch it without the lights on).
on September 17, 2013
I'm an avid reader of the Zombie Apocalypse genre. What I find so disappointing about many of the books I have read is the all follow a similar scenerio...zombies appear out of nowhere and civilation collapses in a matter of minutes.

I always feel like I missed the good part, civilization unraveling.

Apocalypse Z is set in Spain and begins with a series of news reports out of a remote region in Russia. As Europe (and other parts of the world) are affected, the author gives a realistic portrayal of how a government (Spain) tries to deal with the situation, closing borders, controlling the news, closing the airports and transportation, pushing people into "safe zones" where they think they can be protected. Gradually, the tv stations stop broadcasting, the electricity goes off and the government ceases to function. Most of the novels I've read rushes though all that.

Apocalypse Z paces society's collapse just right, making the reader question things, like what will happen to the nuclear power plants when the operators stop showing up...how do I defend myself without a gun (private gun ownership isn't real big in Europe)...should I listen to the government or go it on my own?

While set in Spain, I was able to relate to the story, characters and setting. The story was well translated into English and I didn't find grammatical and/or spelling errors on just about every other page (like in many zombie novels I've read). As a matter of fact, I only saw one in the entire book.

Apocalypse Z is a series of books I look forward to reading. I really enjoyed the first installment and highly recommend it.