Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 446 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 614 reviews
on December 1, 2010
I love Isa's recipes and make them as much as possible, the problem is that my mister mister is gluten intolerant so a lot of my all time fave recipes are out for him and then we are making 2 separate meals because he is not vegan and I like my vital wheat gluten. I pre-ordered this book the minute that I found out that it could be pre-ordered and I am so glad that I did. I've had the book for 2 days and so far have only made 1 meal out of it but it was a total Isa recipe, FULL of flavor with a decent portion size but here is the best part for us-- not only is it a vegan cookbook but MOST of the recipes are gluten free! This means that we are back to only making one meal per night and eating some of the greatest food that either of us have ever had. The salad recipes aren't boring at all which makes me happy because I do get tired of salad but she has a Pad Thai salad recipe that I just can't wait to make-- lots of intriguing ideas in this book, that's for sure. I am not vegan for weight-loss but I am a little "well fed" and this book could not have come at a better time for me. This is one of those must-have-vegan-cookbook-library books.
33 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
Along with Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's "The Vegan Table" "appetite for Reduction was one of the very first vegan cook books I ever received. For me this book was an excellent primer, it taut me a lot of basic tools, and techniques for vegan cooking, introduced me to new ingredients, flavor combinations and ideas. As is always the case with me I sometimes adjust the seasonings to taste but that's with any book. Overall I think this book is an invaluable resource for people, particualrly those just starting out, and even though I own 100+ cook books now this is still one of my `go-to' books for quick, easy, and light meals, especially on the days that I work.

I also really love the layout of this book, I love the style, and I appreciate that most of the recipes have simple ingredients. I like the conversational tone of the book, and I really like that Isa suggests dish pairings. Sometimes you just don't know what to do with a tasty sounding side dish, or what to serve it with and Isa does the work for you telling you what it best compliments. I also like her stories about various dishes - and maybe this is a picky thing - but I like the typeface of the print. It's easy to read. I appreciate all of the tips and all the effort she put into making these meals healthful and low-calorie. Some people have complained that they are `too' low-calorie but that's an easy enough fix. Instead of complaining about how she only uses 1 tsp of olive oil, use 1 tbsp. This is after all a book designed to be low-cal and it's designed for weight-loss/weight management, if that's not what you're after then look for a more decadent cook book. Nutritional information is also provided for those who are concerned about such things.

My only qualm with this book is the lack of pictures. I'm a very visual person and I really hate it with a cook book has limited pictures or no pictures. I love beautiful food photography and find the pictures help inspire me to make the dishes. This book simply doesn't have enough pictures, and of the ones it does contain I feel they are not as beautiful as they could be. Aside from that this book is fantastic. I have tried many recipes from it and this is what I thought.

Everyday Chickpea Salad - LOVED IT - a `go-to' salad
Catalan Cous Cous Salad with Pears - Pretty good
Romesco Dressing - LOVED IT
Trattoria Pasta Salad with white beans - Pretty good
Sun Dried Tomato Walnut Dressing - LOVED IT
Strawberry Spinach Salad - pretty good.
Cauliflower Mashed potatoes - this was okay, but then as much as I love cauliflower I'm not all that fond of it mashed.
Silky Chickpea Gravy - LOVED IT
OMG Oven Baked Onion Rings - LOVED IT
Scallion Potato Pancakes - Loved it
Brussels Sprout-Potato Hash - LOVED IT
Bhutanese Pineapple Rice - Loved it
Polenta Stuffing - Pretty Good
Quinoa Puttanesca - Loved it
Soft Broccoli Polenta - this was okay, but at the time I made it I'd never eaten polenta before so maybe this needs a re-try.
Ethiopian Millet - Meh, not for me.
Butternut Coconut Rice - pretty good
Eggplant Kibbeh - I thought this was just okay, but my husband really liked it
Tamarind Quinoa - pretty good
Garlicky Mushrooms and Kale - loved it
Jerk Asparagus - loved it
Pineapple Collards - This was okay.
Mushroom tibs - pretty good
Chipotle Lentil Burgers - LOVED IT
Black Bean Zucchini and Olive Tacos - LOVED IT
Garlic Lemon Yogurt - pretty good
Mango BBQ Beans - pretty good
Black Beans in Red Velvet Mole - This was okay, but then I'm not the biggest mole fan
Curried Green Onion Hummus - loved it
Red Thai Tofu - pretty good
Lettuce Wraps with hoison-mustard tofu - LOVED IT
Curried Scrambled Tofu with Arugula - LOVED IT
Red Wine and Kalamata Tempeh - LOVED IT
Tamarind BBQ Tempeh with Sweet Potatoes - LOVED IT!
Buffalo Tempeh - LOVED IT
Veggie Potpie Stew - LOVED IT
Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits - LOVED IT
Smokey Tempeh and Greens Stew - LOVED IT
Eggplant Provencal - Pretty good

I've had great success with this book, and overall I think ti's a great resource especially for new vegans or vegetarians. I have made many things from this book for my omni family and friends and they were a hit. I also recently gifted this book to my mother - not vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination - and she's had a lot of fun making the recipes.
on November 24, 2014
Isa has done it again!!!! This has become my #1 go-to cookbook for easy, healthy, vegan recipes. Lest you be deterred, my omnivorous partner loves this book just as much as I do. So far, I've made about 41 of the recipes in this book and I've only encountered one that I wouldn't make again. Stand outs include: the Goddess Nicoise Salad (the dressing alone is worth the price of the book!), the Cauliflower Pesto Soup, the Masala Baked Tofu, the Fresh Corn & Scallion Cornbread, and the Chickpea Piccata, the recipe for which you can also find on Isa's website "the post-punk kitchen." Seriously, if the book didn't say "low-fat vegan" on the cover, I would pretty much have no idea it was a "weight loss" book. All of the recipes I've had are hearty and flavorful and don't feel "diet-y" at all! The tone of the book is also quite empowering and guilt-free, stressing that health comes at any size, cookies aren't evil, and veganism is about more than the health benefits. Not to mention, the recipes are laced with as much of Isa's sass as they are with spice! Matt Ruscigno (vegan dietician) supplies a chapter on vegan dietary basics and provides the calorie/macronutrient/vitamin/mineral/fiber stats for each recipe, which BTW boast real-person portion sizes (yay!). This makes the book easy to integrate with Weight Watchers or other calorie-counting type plans. Now I love VWAV, Isa Does It, and the Veganomicon (not to mention Terry's solo work), but if my house was on fire and I could only take one cookbook (perish the thought), hands down, this would be it. Dudes, buy this book and start scarfing.
on May 17, 2013
Let me put this simply. This book is the best of several low-fat vegan cookbooks I own and use.

The title and cover art can give off a bit of a vibe that's too narrow, however. It sort of looks like a diet book ready-made to be advertised on the pages of Elle or Cosmopolitan magazines. That's not me. But I got over that. I look at Appetite for Reduction as a guide to wonderful, healthy plant-based foods, with recipes prepared by a true chef.

The author, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, stands head and shoulders above some others in the healthy vegan class. Her recipes tend to outperform, bite for bite, taste for taste, other similar books that followed in her wake, such as Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (2011) and Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year (2012). I find a whole lot to like in those others too -- but I rate them with four stars, while Appetite for Reduction I rate with five stars. Granted, those others totally do without added oil and they reduce salt to a minimum if not eliminate it; but sometimes I have reduced the oil and salt in Appetite for Reduction, and the recipes still emerge supreme. An experienced, well-cultivated chef's hands and palate evidently were at work in the cooking and writing. I have friends whose nutritional goals are similar to mine, and we have compared these same cookbooks. We all agree. Appetite for Reduction gets first ranking on the cookbook shelf.

Only one recipe in Appetite for Reduction clashed with my taste buds. The rest I liked or loved. The happy high notes rang out in Salad Nicoise with Green Goddess Garlic Dressing, Eggplant Provencal, Jerked Asparagus, Chickpea Piccata, Caulipots with Silky Chickpea Gravy, and my new favorite brunch food, Brussel Sprouts Potato Hash. Throw in Herb-Crusted Roasted Cauliflower for good measure. I can rattle off the names of all those dishes from memory because I liked them so much, and have made some repeatedly.

Why bother eating this way? That's a fair question, but not for this cookbook to answer. You can't go wrong starting with the mind-blowing doucmentary Forks Over Knives (2011). If you want to read about the science in favor of whole foods plant-based eating and against the rest, The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! (2012) packs a brisk and easily readable overview, along with a grab bag of recipes (some great, some less so). The grand pooba of the research behind this is T. Colin Campbell, whose 2005 landmark was a bestseller, The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health. The sequel is just out now Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition (2013) which tells why the science has not yet burst into the mainstream.

Last but not least, the recipes in Appetite for Reduction are well written, with helpful side notes and a fun style. This is a can-do cookbook for fabulous healthy food. But you can reduce further or just skip over the already slight quantities of oil and salt if you're trying to squelch the lure of those palate-hijacking additives while going for broke on health and taste.
on March 10, 2014
I just became a vegan and am trying to lose weight. This book is amazing! The recipes are pretty simple and delicious, although I am a good cook. I found them to be ridiculously simple so a fair cook wouldn't have an issue. I love the way that Isa instructs on how to handle tofu, tempeh and seitan, cuz I had no clue! Also, I like this person. Meaning Isa. I had never heard of her before, but she is funny and down to earth, not to mention so succesful and cool. She can't be more than late 30s, and I really support hard working, cool women with a vision who make things happen for themselves. Thanks, Isa! Will be purchasing Veganomics next.

Update: I still love this book, but there is only ONE thing I am not crazy about. Isa gives great salad recipes, and every salad has a homemade dressing recipe. I was surprised to note that almost all the dressings include ground cashews, note fir allergies, not to mention that all dressings require a food processer/blender. Speaking for myself, when I make a salad I want to whisk up some dressing in the bottom of the salad bowl, I don't want to dirty a blender. Maybe that's just me! ;)
on February 3, 2013
Yes, I really needed to spell 'amazing' out letter-by-letter and all in caps for the review title. Why? Because this book is more than just 'amazing,' it is AMAZING!!! Yes, three exclamation points even--and I'm not a person who only uses exclamation points when they're absolutely necessary.

I bought this book six months ago. Since buying it, I haven't reached for a single other cookbook for making meals (I still reach for Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World or Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar or Vegan Pie in the Sky for planning desserts). My original worry was that there were only 125 recipes, which generally means (for me) that I'll only get 20-30 working recipes that I enjoy out of the book. That wasn't the case with this book. I have yet to try a recipe that I don't like, and I love some of them so much that I want to make them nearly every week. The combinations of the recipes are also fabulous--switching out the sides in a dish can make it feel like a whole new dish. So even though there are only 125 recipes, it feels like there are 500 possibilities.

My absolute favorite recipe is the Baked Falafel. Not far behind that are the Sushi Roll Edamame Salad, Curried Chickpeas and Greens, Fresh Corn and Scallion Bread, Lotsa Veggies Lentil Soup, and Shaved Brussel Sprouts. I don't even need to be in the mood for a certain flavor to use those recipes--they are so good I can eat them anytime.

I have gifted this book more than any other cookbook I own. Even if you aren't vegan, this is an amazing cookbook. The food tastes delicious, the recipes aren't overly complicated, and it's all healthy. What more could a person ask for from a cookbook?
on December 8, 2012
I own each of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbooks, and this is the one I reach for the most. I was reluctant to buy it at first - I'm a skeptic when it comes to the quality of low-fat cooking - but it delivers.

I have cooked at least two-thirds of the recipes, and the few and only ones I didn't like are mostly chalked up to my own food tastes (like mashed sweet potatoes - not even Isa can change my mind there). But on the other hand, this cookbook did made me love brussels sprouts and escarole. A few of my favorites - of which there are many - are the curries; Quinoa, Kale, and White Bean stew (which is on her website, so you can try it there if you want a sample); and the Hoison-Mustard tofu.

These really are pretty quick - even the stews. Ingredients are often quick to prepare or require no prep at all, like canned beans and tomatoes. They are indeed low-fat, each recipe has a nutrition listing, and there are many little notes on health - because of this book, I know more ways to get in some nutrients I may miss as a vegan. She includes prep notes, and other advice. Her little blurbs before each recipe are often amusing and sometimes recommend other dishes in the book to cook together, such as Mushroom Tibs, Ethiopian Millet, and Ye'abosha Gomen. (Which is a seriously delicious combo!)

One more note - so many of these recipes are easy on the wallet. I have tried cheap vegan cookbooks, but often found them disappointing in flavor and less healthy, so this is a really wonderful bonus. And there are often leftovers which reheat well, too.

Overall, delicious. Oh, and my omnivore friends with whom I have shared these meals with all gave showers of complements, so I highly recommend this to flex-itarians and pretty much anyone interested in tasty food.
on February 18, 2017
Isa Does It has literally changed my life. I've been a vegetarian for years, but my go-tos were either frijoles con pico, maybe with some tortillas or in a sopé, or some off the shelf morningstar junk. NOT ANYMORE!!! I've been using this cookbook almost everyday since it arrived and 100% of the recipes have been phenomenal. The pictures are so gorgeous they almost rival the recipes. Vegan or not you will certainly love this cookbook.
review image
on December 1, 2011
I am obsessed with this cookbook! I ordered it about two months ago and so far all of the recipes I've made have been outstanding! The recipes are easy, fast, healthy, and super-delicious! I also have their Veganomican cookbook, as well as their pie & cupcake books. All of them are great, but I think this may be the best. My favorite recipes so far are the Quinoa, Spinach and White Bean Stew, Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits (my first time ever making biscuits-- now I've made them 3 times), Chickpea Piccata and Chipotle Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts. Others I've made: Smoky Tempeh & Greens Stew (I'm kinda into stew), Black-Eyed Pea & Tempeh Beanballs, Hottie Black-Eyed Peas and Greens, Forty-Clove Chickpeas and Broccoli, Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes, and Balsamic Dressing (best homemade salad dressing I've ever had). All have been outstanding. Even my very carnivorous husband has loved all of these recipes. If you only get one vegan cookbook, it should be this. Just to give you an idea of how obsessed I am, I have already ordered copies for my mother, my brother, and two close friends. None of them are vegan, but I know that they will all enjoy these recipes. I think the Quinoa Stew alone is worth the price of this cookbook. Buy it!
on July 8, 2016
This is my favorite cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I'm not vegan but I try to eat vegetarian and vegan most of the time. I've had this for several years and have made probably half the recipes. The salad dressings alone are worth the price of the book. The balsamic, cool slaw and green goddess dressings are on permanent rotation in my house. The recipes are simple, accessible and most are not time consuming. Favorites: caulipots, hottie black eyed peas and greens, baked falafel, black bean tacos, mango bbq beans, pasta con broccoli, tortilla soup, curried corn chowder, lentil eggplant chili mole, & eggplant provencal. Highly recommend for flavorful, low fat, high fiber, plant based yumminess!