Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on August 6, 2017
What can I say? Caroline Knapp is a treasure. Be sure to pick up her collection of essays, The Merry Recluse, and Pack of Two.
on July 31, 2010
This is a deeply engaging story, ranging from belly-laughing funny to piercingly painful to meticulously thoughtful. I thought this book was so interesting and useful that I bought it for all my friends for Christmas the year I read it, and am *still* buying it for people several years later. I am 34 years old so not quite a contemporary of Knapp's, but in the so-called post-feminist era there are so many things we do *not* talk about as young women, and reading this book was like looking into a mirror and seeing my own freckles and wrinkles for the first time - the shock or recognition and familiarity. I have been fortunate to never have grappled with significant eating disorders but simply as a woman of this Age I found this book incredibly compelling. And of course statistically, even if we don't have an eating disorder most of us have a close friend who does. Knapp helps shed light on their and all of our inner contortions.
on December 20, 2013
I absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Issues related to appetite, desire, need, expectations, eating disorders, etc are really tricky and complicated---there are so many forces that influence these, from the media to entire industries predicated on feeding on women's vulnerabilities. This book puts all of that together in a cohesive and comprehensive work, naming patterns and themes that many of us experience on a day to day basis but could not understand on a larger and much more inclusive framework for how we live our lives.
on April 12, 2017
This book is a wonderful, exciting mix of personal storytelling and behavioral health examination. It is gripping, poignant, and absolutely enjoyable. A great read for anyone struggling with eating disorders or those who'd like to learn more.
on May 9, 2013
Every reader, men and women alike will learn so much from this highly informative read by Caroline Knapp. She outlines society's effect on our thinking as men and women, and traces the course of her family relationships and how they related to her eating disorders
on December 4, 2015
Amazing book on the connections to our struggles with food. Any women or man interested in learning about women's relationship with food should read this.
on August 7, 2015
A tragic story of a life lived and lost. Caroline tells of her life struggles with food, and alcohol. I hope others can learn and benefit from her struggles.
on March 24, 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding the difficult internal world that woman navigate. It's very insightful and yet an easy read.
on June 4, 2015
Readable and relatable.
on January 10, 2013
A good book to read if you are interested in learning about women's issues and eating disorders. I received the book from the seller quickly and it was in good shape.