|Screen Size||12.1 inches|
|Max Screen Resolution||1024x768&Below|
|Processor||800 MHz PowerPC G4|
|RAM||0.256 GB DDR|
|Hard Drive||30 GB mechanical_hard_drive|
|Graphics Coprocessor||ATI Mobility Radeon 9200|
|Graphics Card Ram Size||32 MB|
|Number of USB 2.0 Ports||2|
|Average Battery Life (in hours)||6 hours|
Apple iBook Laptop 12.1" M9164LL/A (800-MHz PowerPC G4, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD-RW Drive)
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 800 MHz PowerPC G4 Processor
- 256 MB RAM (expandable to 640 MB)
- Bundled software includes Apples newest operating system, Mac OS X v.10.3 Panther, and a broad range of highly useable multimedia utilities.
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video chipset with 32 MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM memory.
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
In summary, this is a well enginerred, quality laptop that will allow you to interface with your Windows work environment. Nice work.
Despite some rumors, iBook's G4 processor is a true G4 processor with Altivec fully on-board. While it runs slower (800 MHz vs. 1 GHz) and features smaller L2 cache (256 KB vs. 512 KB) than 12" PowerBook, it comes remarkable close in most performance parameters. They share the same 133 MHz front-side bus and PC2100 (266 MHz) DDR SDRAM.
Even their feature sets come remarkably close. Both sport sharp 12.1" 1024-by-768 LCD, 256 MB memory and 32 MB graphics memory, FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports, and 100/10 fast Ethernet. Both lack the PC Card (PCMCIA) slot but can accommodate AirPort Extreme wireless network.
Other than faster G4 processor, just about the only reasons to consider 12" PowerBook are:
- Larger memory capacity on the PowerBook (1.25 GB vs. 640 MB)
- Larger hard disk (40 GB vs. 30 GB)
- PowerBook can drive an external display (dual display) up to 2048-by-1536 via DVI port; iBook can only mirror up to 1024-by-768 via VGA port
- SuperDrive (DVD burner) is optional on PowerBook; it is not available on iBook
- Bluetooth is standard on PowerBook; it is optional (built-to-order) on iBook
- Marginally faster GeForce FX 5200 graphics card on PowerBook (vs. Radeon 9200 on iBook)
- PowerBook is slightly lighter (4.6 lbs vs. 4.9 lbs) and slightly smaller (10.9-by-8.6-by-1.18 inches vs. 11.2-by-9.1-by-1.35 inches)
- You like the PowerBook's anodized aluminum allow chassis better
There are sufficient reasons to get the iBook instead:
- Costs almost 50% less
- It is not dramatically slower
- Longer battery life (up to 6 hours vs.Read more ›
Performance: From G3 900Mhz to G4 800Mhz is certainly an upgrade. As the G4 features a faster 133Mhz Bus (formerly 100Mhz Bus) and also supports DDR Memory (compared to the old PC100). Applications seem to fire up and run better and everything is just snappier. Also if you have altivec enabled applications, G4 is certainly the way to go.
Technical Improvements: USB 1.1 ==> USB 2.0, Airport 802.11b ==> Airport Extreme 802.11g, updated graphics card, tray loading combo drive ==> slot loading combo drive.
Other Improvements: Panther is a more polished and refined OS compared to Jaguar. OS X has finally matured. The keyboard on the G4 iBook has been improved...buttons press smoother and keyboard has less flex (not to mention the greyish tone makes it look better). Also the LCD display seems a little bit more crisper.
All in all I'd highly recommend this 12" G4 iBook. For this price, it is a tremendous value. You cannot find a comparable 12.1" laptop in the PC world (w/o spending nearly 2 Grand, and most don't come with an optical drive built-in).
I don't see much of a reason to go with 14.1" as it has the same resolution as the 12" (unless that you have bad vision). If you want a laptop with a big display, go with the 15.2" Powerbook (probably the best all-around laptop in the world). If you want a small but still very fast laptop that you can carry everywhere, GET THIS IBOOK!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I believe this seller had good intentions but the computer is crappy.... CD drive did not work and the systems is slow... It ran quicker at first but it's not worth buying... Read morePublished 6 months ago by Youung L.
The DVD/CD drive did not work.
It has no media card reader ( I should've asked)
It has no camera. ( it didn't say)
A bit slow
Just received the laptop and I loved it!!! Thank you for doing amazing business ! It even got here earlier then expected so I can take it to college with me!!!! Read morePublished 11 months ago by Sam
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
See the Top Rated Laptops in our Laptop Reviews.