Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Apple Magic Bluetooth Mouse (MB829LL/A)
Style: Magic Mouse|Change

on October 5, 2013
**Updated** I use this now on my macbook laptop and a R.A.T. 5 on my desktop... let me first say I have been spoiled by the RAT 5 that I use on my windows desktop. For those unfamiliar with gaming mice, RAT mice are high end contraptions with lots of buttons, extra modes, sensitivity controls on the mouse itself and some even come with customizable weight systems.

I don't really do much gaming on my mac but instead wanted better controls for the full screen apps and 2 dimensional scrolling. This mouse certainly delivers in that category. the touch inertia touch scrolling and multitouch really give it more functionality and do it in a way that's more useful on a mac than any other mouse could deliver. The weight is good and the battery life is good.

It is NOT for use in 3D apps though... at all. If you use Maya, or Cinema 4D or any other application where you regularly need the full range of navigation in 3D space- this mouse can't do it. They can make the touchpad on a macbook functional enough to navigate Maya, but not this $70 mouse? Fortunately most of the 3D work I do is on my PC desktop, and if I need to I can use maya with the touchpad. That's pretty lame though.

The other big problem is that if you're setup to use gestures extensively on the touch pad and are accustomed to that, the difference between the touchpad and mouse can be a bit disconcerting. For instance, I'm used to 3 finger swipe on the touchpad to change between fullscreen apps. On the mouse it's 2 fingers. It's not as big a mental leap as going back and forth between the regular scrolling on Windows 7 versus Mac's inverted "natural scrolling" but it is noticeable. On the touchpad 2 finger tap is a right click. On the mouse 2 finger tap does nothing. On the touchpad there are all the gestures, like 4 finger swipe up, 4 finger pinch, and all the others- they are not recognized on this mouse and as such it really can't replace the touchpad completely but instead they work together.

Overall it is less aggravating in terms of carpal tunnel as it gives you the option to perform actions in a different way. As for mice that work with OS and take advantage of the swiping, responsive touch navigation, this really is the way to go. regular mice, even the RAT mice feel incredibly restrictive on OSX after using this mouse. However, if your mac is your 3D powerhouse, avoid this thing like crazy. Get a RAT or, really any $5 mouse with 3 buttons.
on April 19, 2016
This mouse works pretty good but there are quirks that either it's doing or I'm doing (i.e., suddenly the page jumps up on down, the script that I'm writing because I happened to touch the mouse. And sometimes that thingy bar that can be grabbed and move the page up or down is not there unless I press the mouse. I am still not sure if it's a quirk of wi-fi or the product itself, and maybe even this Macintosh. I do know the other mouse that plugs into the computer never did this sort of thing. I hope to research this matter online and come to a better determination. Otherwise, it's a snazzy looking mouse, I'll give it that much. Oh, and wireless mouse's live up to their reputation for going through batteries. This one sure does.
on April 24, 2017
Well, I'm not sure why, but this mouse has trouble with sideways scrolling when on a mouse pad. I've tried an all black mouse pad, and a light colored patterned mouse pad. It won't consistently scroll sideways. I've changed settings to fast and to slow. I've moved it closer to the laptop. I've toggled other settings. It seems to scroll just fine when on the regular desk surface. The good is that it charges easily with the lightening charger that you use for your phone. The bad is that Apple is changing their connectors in Fall of 2017.
on January 14, 2015
This is my second Magic Mouse. Both of them disconnect at any given time. At their worst they disconnect every 5 or 10 minutes. The original one got so bad I purchased a second one. Same problem. You can clear your (Mac) computer cash and that helps but does not solve the problem. My latest mouse just stops tracking and I have to open it and pull the batteries out to reset the mouse and to get it working again. I love the scroll feature of this mouse but the other issues are a real problem. I do not think I will purchase another Magic Mouse based on the price compared to quality. Im sure I can find a better mouse for the money.
on September 20, 2016
I've been using this mouse for a few months and still haven't noticed anything necessarily magical. It has nice touch gesture capabilities and is bluetooth capable, but nothing really magical. I kept yelling commands at it but never responded, perhaps I was exaggerating the 'O' too much when pronouncing leviosa.
on September 1, 2010
First i should mention that i think i have somewhat unusual taste in mouses. Both Mac and Windows users have complained endlessly about Apple mouses for years and years, but my two favourite mouses are Apple-made. My first favourite is the Mighty Mouse (which was almost perfect), and my second favourite (which will probably tell you even more about me) is the hockey puck that came with the original iMacs. In general i prefer small, simple, ambidextrous mouses -- i hate those big hardcore Logitech and Microsoft ones that gamers use, for example. So, anyway, you should probably read my review with all that in mind.

When the Magic Mouse first came out, i liked where they were going, but was ultimately disappointed for two reasons: (1) no middle-click and (2) no Exposé button. Since i spend the vast majority of my computer time in a Web browser, middle-click is very important to me. It wasn't until my wired Mighty Mouse's scroll ball died (again) and third-party Magic Mouse utilities were mature that i decided to go for the Magic Mouse -- so i'm pretty late to get mine.

The first thing i did of course was install BetterTouchTool, because Apple's preference utility, whilst adequate for most basic users, is no-where near configurable enough for my liking. Using BTT i was able to add middle-click functionality (so far i'm leaning toward the 'Two Finger TipTap Middle' gesture as my preferred middle-click method, but it also lets you set a physical middle-click similar to the Mighty Mouse), as well as an Exposé gesture.

Having that in place, i was able to start using the mouse 'normally', and these are my observations:

PROS

- It's much lighter than the Mighty Mouse -- or at least it feels that way, i haven't actually weighed it or anything. This is a pretty big deal to me, because, having gone from the wired Mighty Mouse to the wireless one, i found the added weight of the latter to be very fatiguing to my hand.

- Turning the mouse on and off is far easier than it is on the wireless Mighty Mouse. On the latter, you have to move a switch that covers the laser -- this switch is mostly flush with the bottom, which makes it hard to get traction, and it's very difficult to move on top of that. As a result i've found turning the Mighty Mouse on/off to be extremely tedious. The new mouse is not like that -- the switch on the bottom is super easy to toggle.

- The tracking is fantastic. My primary complaint with the wireless Mighty Mouse was that its tracking felt wrong somehow in comparison to the wired one. A test i used to determine this was to attempt drawing a perfect circle on the screen with each mouse. On the wired mouse -- and the Magic Mouse -- drawing a round circle is no problem at all. On the wireless Mighty Mouse, the tracking just didn't work as well, which resulted in a circle that was always flattened.

- No more scroll ball to clean! I really liked having a physical scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse, but it needed constant maintenance to keep it working properly. The scrolling on the Magic Mouse is almost perfect (i do miss having full 360-degree scrolling, but it's not that bad), and there are no moving parts to deal with.

- The basic features function exactly as expected. I never have any issues with right-clicks being detected as left-clicks or vice versa, and as mentioned the scrolling works great. BetterTouchTool's added features do present a tiny bit more of a challenge, because certain gestures can be interpreted differently, but you just have to use the right ones.

CONS

- Obviously a major con is that you have fewer buttons out of the box than the Mighty Mouse had. You'll need BetterTouchTool or MagicPrefs if you want a middle-click.

- Related to the above, it takes a little bit of getting used to before you can comfortably use the added features provided by BTT. The learning curve is no-where near as easy as the Mighty Mouse's.

- As far as i can tell, it's not possible to run the Magic Mouse on only one battery, as it was with the wireless Mighty Mouse. It's too bad, because i really value lightness in a mouse.

- The profile of the Mighty Mouse, as mentioned in other reviews, is very low. It's probably the lowest mouse i've ever used. On the one hand, this helps to prevent accidental triggering of the touch gestures, but on the other hand it is very difficult to get used to, and is noticeably more fatiguing to the hand than either Mighty Mouse was. I would have been willing to accept the added weight if they had made the mouse like 5 mm taller.

- As with the Mighty Mouse, the Magic Mouse is not intended for gamers. Although it is possible to do some interesting things with BetterTouchTool, including assigning macros or hot keys to mouse gestures, i think you will have more problems overall if you're playing fast-paced games. A common complaint is accidental scrolling, which causes the weapons to change in an FPS.

- Lastly, on a related note to the above, the mouse is currently not very fun to use on Windows or Linux, since Apple don't provide full-featured drivers for those systems. Maybe someone will write their own though.

Overall i do like it; my main complaints are the height of the mouse (which is too low) and the weight of the mouse (which is still too heavy -- but this is an inherent problem with all wireless mouses).

edited 2010/09/04:
I've been using the mouse a few more days now and i've found or confirmed a few flaws:

1. The low profile is indeed more fatiguing. I think it's becoming easier to deal with as i use it more, but the first day of use resulted in some hardcore wrist pain :/

2. I've found middle-click a little more difficult than i first realised. The lack of a physical scroll ball makes it hard to put your finger in the right spot for a physical middle-click, so i've had to improvise, as mentioned in the third paragraph up at the top of this review. This works, but it requires a fair bit of concentration; it's no longer effortless like middle-clicking on the Mighty Mouse was.

3. Another major issue is scrolling. I mentioned before that the gesture detection is very accurate -- unfortunately when it comes to scrolling (or 'swiping'), it's TOO accurate. There is very little, if any, 'accidental scrolling detection'. The problem with this is that the very very slight natural movements of the finger tips that occur when my hand is resting on the mouse are detected as scroll gestures, and as a result documents and Web pages constantly jitter up and down by a few pixels when i'm reading them. This is very irritating as you can imagine, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change the sensitivity, even within BTT.

As a result i've downgraded my score from 4/5 to 3/5.

I think my dream mouse would be a Mighty Mouse with the following modifications:

- (partially) aluminium, instead of all plastic
- bottom 'chassis' identical to the one on the Magic Mouse (including laser, battery cover, and on/off switch)
- improved tracking
- optical scroll ball instead of a mechanical one -- with 'accident' detection and adjustable sensitivity

For now i will be stuck between the two :(
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on August 8, 2012
Bought this Apple Magic Mouse as "used - like new" for about $45. It really looked mint new when received it. Apparently, the previous owner barely used it -- probably because the previous owner just wanted to continue using a regular double-button-with-the-middle-wheel mouse or probably wanted a nice gaming mouse. Well, that turned out to be good for me since have always liked the Apple Magic Mouse when having used it on another mac, but didn't want to spend the full $70 to get one. So, in the meanwhile have been happily using a cheap wired mouse until recently when all sorts of cables started cluttering up my work area where my Macbook resides most of the time. So, got the Apple Magic Mouse to get rid of the mouse cable. Oh, one thing that you will have to get used to is the lower profile of the Apple Magic Mouse since this mouse is not as tall as a regular mouse. Also, if you are used to doing the right click on a regular mouse, then you'll have to go into System Preferences, click Mouse, and check the box for Secondary Click to get the right click to work. And while you're in there, you may want to increase the tracking speed also. And since you're in System Preferences, also go click into Bluetooth, click Advanced, and UNCHECK the box for "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" -- my thinking is that since can tap on the keyboard on my Macbook to wake it up then unchecking the wake-up setting will probably at least help a little bit to conserve the battery when the Apple Magic Mouse is asleep. There is also some software called MagicPrefs that other users have talked about, but these settings on the mac seem to be good enough for me at the moment. And so, this Apple Magic Mouse seems to be a good purchase and really looks like a cool device to have.
on September 6, 2013
Apple did a great job with this mouse. The fact that is connects with bluetooth and not in need of a extra usb port makes it fantastic. The touch surface works incredible over the Microsoft touch mouse and with the free program (MagicPrefs) this mouse becomes a powerhouse of possibilities. The only reason for docking the star is it does not have the best battery times, although its not the worst neither. Also I wish it were a little more comfortable in the hand, but at the same time its difficult to have a mouse you can rest your hand on and utilize the entire surface as touch sensitive. Kudos to Apple on this one.

UPDATE:

Just shy of 2 months (58 days) my mouse batteries just gave up. I used the Advanced lithium energizer batteries for the first couple months and use my mouse an average of 6hr/day. I am satisfied with the life as it is better than my previous logitec mouse life. I purchased a couple sets of rechargeable so there wont be any battery issue but thought this might be helpful for some of you.

I have also raised my review from a 4 star to 5 stars as I learned with a couple days of using the mouse that you learn how to hold it (no hand cramps as you may think). Very functional and amazingly helpful in programs like Apples Logic Pro where I can scroll around my arrange window while performing other functions just by sliding my finger over the mouses surface. This is the only mouse to my knowledge that does this without navigating to the horizontal and vertical slide bars. This also works in safari or any other program you can think that has scroll bars.
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 22, 2015
I really like this mouse. I was worried about using it since I normally use a Contour RollerMouse, but I really like being able to use gestures with the mouse. I don't believe that this mouse causes any discomfort compared to a normal mouse because I don't have to constantly grip the thing to use it.

My only issue, and I can't say that it's the mouse for sure, is that it disconnects from my Mac often. I have to click a couple times for it to reconnect. It's more of an annoyance than a real problem though, so I just wanted to throw that out there.
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 10, 2015
Never have I been so disappointed with an Apple product. It worked great until I was barely out of the return/replace time period then it went to complete crap. It just stopped staying connected, or has a mind of its own. I have tried every possible trouble shooting technique and nothing works. After looking it up it seems this happens to a lot of people. I would not purchase this unless you are ok with spending around $70 dollars for something you will only get to use for a few months.