Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,393 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,047 reviews
on March 21, 2015
I am an Apple Fanboy and I can honestly say this mouse is absolute garbage. It rarely behaves and reacts like you would expect. It continuously drops the bluetooth signal and when it does connect, the motion of movement is jerky, jumpy, and sporadic. I am beyond my return window so I'm stuck with this $70 paper weight. Don't buy this, you'll only get frustrated.
on April 3, 2015
No matter how hard I tried to keep them clean, I finally got fed up with the Apple Mouse (the one with the little scroll ball). I really wasn't sure if I wanted to buy another Apple branded mouse (sort of like a wanting to take a break from relationships because of heartbreak from a previous one), but the reviews for this mouse convinced me to give it one more try.

After turning on the mouse with the little switch on its underside, my Mac Mini had no problems pairing with it via Bluetooth. Once paired, configuring the mouse via System Preferences was Apple-easy. You can, in fact, push down on it to click so that you get that tactile feedback that most of us have gotten used to over the years. The "Magic" part of the Magic Mouse is that it is touch sensitive, so you can do various swiping motions (several of them are reminiscent of using an iPad), and—most importantly for me—"scrolling" is just rubbing your finger up and down on the mouse. No more constant cleaning of scroll balls, only to have them still crap out on me eventually!

I picked this mouse up used from an Amazon seller, but there were no problems with marks, scuffs or other damage, and the seller even included two AA batteries. Time will tell about battery life, but I have a ton of rechargeable batteries when they run out. My only complaint about the Magic Mouse is that its form factor is flatter than my previous mouse. While the flatness of the mouse makes it more conducive to performing finger motions without taking your hand off it, it feels weird in my hand. Nevertheless, I am loving this mouse thus far.
on November 14, 2009
Okay, I will say I'm very partial to this mouse, but I'm going to try and write an objective review here for kicks. I'm going to break this down into topical sections for easy digestion.

=== Tracking ===
Tracking is, surprisingly for a Bluetooth mouse, superbly smooth in everyday use. (I'm not an FPS gamer, so I can't comment on the performance for twitch gaming.) Pointer movement is very smooth and consistent, as with the best corded and non-BT cordless mice. Also, in my tests, the mouse tracked perfectly on a white laminate table and a brushed aluminum table -- both difficult surfaces for many laser and optical mice.

Many reviewers have complained that the tracking is too slow, even at the highest speed setting. Although I haven't experienced this problem, I believe it is real for those people; but I think it must be a problem that is specific to their particular software and/or hardware environment, by no means a universal problem. (The Magic Mice at the Apple Stores I've been to have not manifested it.) These users may find relief with a new third-party freeware called BetterTouchTool, which has a greater range of mouse speed adjustment than Apple's prefpane -- more on BetterTouchTool below.

=== Scrolling ===
The touch-based scrolling is a revelation. I leave the momentum option on, and scrolling through long web pages is a dream. So smooth! The scrolling action is similar to dragging the slider on a scroll bar, rather than clicking the up/down scroll buttons as it is with most other mice. After having used the Magic Mouse and its amazing scrolling talents for a couple of weeks, when I'm now forced to use conventional mice, the scrolling feels jumpy and crude. That said, I do sometimes miss the feel of turning a physical scroll wheel. I'd say that a physical wheel might provide more predictable scrolling. But the nearly pixel-precise scrolling action of the Magic Mouse just feels really luxurious. The only thing I would ask Apple to improve is to let users adjust the "friction" of the momentum scrolling with a slider in the prefpane. I would reduce the friction a bit.

=== Buttons/Configurability ===
As you will know already, this is a one-button mouse that can be used as a two-button mouse thanks to smart software. I have experienced zero problems with the mouse distinguishing between left and right clicks. It is true that the mouse does not recognize right clicks when your index finger is resting on the mouse. This hasn't been a problem for me at all, because for some reason I naturally lift my index finger slightly when I start pushing down with my middle finger. The other thing that is widely known is that there is no provision for middle clicks or other actions besides the ones mentioned in the product literature. Apple really has a lot of room for improvement in the device driver in this area.

But what is perhaps less known is that there is an excellent little freeware third-party app called BetterTouchTool (for OS X only) that addresses these shortcomings very well. For example, you can map a three-finger tap to Expose or any key combination. It is an absolute must. The app is still in a very early development phase and is frequently updated (sometimes several times in one day), and there are several features yet to be fully implemented, but already it has removed all cause for complaint about lack of configurability, as far as I'm concerned.

=== Ergonomics ===
The mouse's shape takes some getting used to. It's very low, which discourages resting your palm on it (or wrapping your whole hand around it). The sharp edges also detract from holding this mouse as you would rounder ones. The optimum way I've found to hold this mouse is to lightly grip its sides, with my thumb on one side, my ring finger and pinkie on the other, and my palm making no contact with the top. This is easy to do because the sides curve inward from top to bottom, providing a sure grip. It's a sort of dainty way to hold the mouse, but it works, and it also minimizes accidental scrolling, which happens sometimes when you inadvertently touch the top. As a bonus, the aluminum sides provide a nice, cool sensation to the fingertips when you grab it again after letting it rest for a while.

Another ergonomic quibble I have is that the smooth plastic top of the mouse produces too much friction when my fingers are not perfectly dry. The textured glass of Apple's latest trackpads is much better in this regard. As a workaround, I have taken to putting a little light oil on the mouse top to reduce this friction and make scrolling easier.

=== Conclusion ===
This is an unusual and innovative mouse that unfortunately demands some adjustment in usage habits to get the best results, but then rewards you with superior functionality -- especially with an assist from some third-party software.
1616 comments| 836 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2016
Got this mouse instead of the Magic Mouse 2 because it had a better reputation. If you're undecided of buying a $80 mouse for MacBook, DO IT, don't get a cheap knockoff to pair with a computer that deserves only respect. If you get a $1000 laptop pair it with a mouse that matches. You won't regret it. And it even comes with battery's. A+
review image
on May 16, 2015
I have had my mac for about 4 years. After the 4 years I had to replace my Magic Mouse. We decided to get another because we were use to it and it does work well. The only issues I have found with this mouse are two.

CONS

1. It eats through batteries like crazy, making the mouse much more expensive then it's original cost. That said I don't turn off my mouse so that may have something to do with it.
2. The battery back eventually came loose and would not stay on correctly.
3. I don't know if it was because of the battery back or not but the batteries were no longer making the connection it needed to work so it was losing connection constantly.

PROS

1. The sleek design fits nicely in your hand
2. Love that it doesn't have a scroll wheel
3. It does work well until it starts to wear down.

I just wish they would either use a different type of battery that last longer, or come out with a solar powered mouse :)
on June 26, 2015
Disclosure: I've used windows mouses my entire life, and actively use them for RTS, RPG, and MOBA gaming, along with multimedia development.

TLDR: Cannot track like a windows mouse, doesn't slide as well as many other mouses on any surface, but has superior scrolling (just like trackpad scrolling on macbook). Beautiful design with slick, programmable swipe gestures. Terrible for responsive gaming.

I want to love this mouse. It's beautiful, and has exceptional scrolling in OSX Yosemite on a new Retina Macbook Pro. However, the tracking is simply too frustrating for me, especially when moving the mouse slowly, such as when creating a mask in Photoshop or Affinity Designer. For casual usage, the tracking is bearable, but I can literally move the mouse about a centimeter at a slow rate (trying to move just a couple pixels over), and have the cursor stay completely still. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, but rather a software issue, and it drives me crazy.

I tried downloading a few mouse tracking utilities such as smoothmouse, and changed the system mouse tracking via termal scripts like -g com.apple.mouse.scaling, and another one that I forget, but nothing works well enough. Furthermore, adjusting the tracking speed to negative acceleration values (made possible through scripts and 3rd party software) is okay, but there's no variability. In other words, setting tracking speed acceleration to -.01 is identical to -5.0.

Finally, even if I did manage to find a way to get the tracking to suit me (aka: be like windows mouse tracking), the mouse still doesn't slide across even ideal surfaces as well as most other mouses I've used. There are two long slim rails underneath the mouse, running from top to bottom, where the mouse touches whatever surface is underneath it. Sliding the mouse horizontally produces significantly more friction than sliding it vertically, which also impacts horizontal maneuvering. Horizontal sliding results in the cursor stuttering, sometimes rather significantly, due to the mouse constantly "catching" against any surface as you slide it. All mouses have this type of issue to some degree, but usually it's far less pronounced than with the Magic Mouse. I tested it on a slick mouse pad that I've daily for years, on two separate fairly smooth wooden surfaces (desk and kitchen table), and on a laminated hardcover book. No surface resulted in smooth motion with the cursor, while even a tight carpet can produce fairly smooth motion from my Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 on the same computer.

If you are used to using a Windows PC mouse, are a Windows PC gamer, or expect to need your mouse to move quickly over small screen areas (a few pixels or so), I don't recommend this mouse. Likewise, I believe Apple needs to redesign this mouse to move better across all surfaces.

For casual users, you will have to find out for yourself. It does have better scrolling than any mouse I've ever used.

I didn't have any issues with wrist, hand, or finger pain resulting from using this mouse, though I have no physical ailments that would be likely to trigger such pain.
on June 20, 2015
Apple's 2015 update to OSX 10.10 ("Yosemite") takes some features from iOS 8 for iPads etc. and transports them to the computer, including gestures like swiping that you can use on a touchpad -- or on the Magic Mouse, to some extent. The ability to use gestures is moderately useful, and the physical design of the mouse is fine. It has only one large "button" that takes up the whole surface, but you can set it up so that you can right-click on one side and left-click on the other, which as a refugee from Windows is nice. You can also scroll with your finger despite the absence of a scroll wheel, and scroll left & right. The scrolling feature is worth paying the price of the two possibly related flaws in the Bluetooth connection.

Flaw (1): It has very limited Bluetooth range. It's OK next to the computer, but if you get more than about 6 feet away, the new Mac Mini I have doesn't respond. It's like a dropped cell phone call. Bluetooth is supposed to work up to 10 meters (33 feet) away, but this Bluetooth on the Magic Mouse loses signal at only 20% of that range. And (2) after using two of these on three different current-model Mac Minis, my experience is mediocre in terms of having a stable Bluetooth connection. The mouse loses its link fairly often - at least once every day or so. The fastest way to restore the connection seems to by putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up. Apple's support site says that other 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones can cause interference with the Bluetooth signal, but I have other Bluetooth devices in the same environment that do not drop their connections. Too bad, because when the Magic Mouse works it's very comfortable and has useful features - notably the very smooth up-and-down scrolling and the ability to scroll left and right.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2016
i first bought this mouse i think over a year ago and returned it cause the way it moved across my mouse pad and other surfaces really was terrible, i recently acquired another magic mouse from a iMac i bought, and again, the same issue with ergonomics and the way it felt like it was being dragged across my mouse pad or anything else, first i grinded down the feet to 1/4 inch size cause i read the problem was the foot print was too large, meaning the part that actually touches the surface, did this help??? absolutely, did it totally resolve the issue???NOPE, so i experimented more with something called CS Hyde PTFE mouse tape, tan color, .5'x 5 yards, and put the tape on the bottom of the feet which was about 3 inches long, and presto, its more slick than greased stink, and now I'm in love with my magic mouse. the tape was $5.48 a the time of this review.
on June 25, 2016
This is my second magic mouse. Below are my thoughts:

Design: There simply is not a better looking mouse on the market. It is smooth and sleek. It feels great in the hand and carries Apple's signature elegant look.

Compatibility: If you have an Apple computer, this mouse is the easiest to connect. No need to plug in a bulky receiver in your USB slot. Simply turn on your bluetooth.

Function: I love the simplicity of the single glass surface. It is very intuitive. The mouse is just like having an Apple trackpad that you can move around to track things. It recognizes all of the multi-touch motions you can do on a trackpad, and tracks the mouse arrow effortlessly. I have never had a problem of the mouse sticking like cheaper mouses.

This is hands down the creme a la creme of mouses.
on December 30, 2014
Bluetooth connection goes out a lot. Some forum traffic suggests that the problem is a small difference between the dimensions of the batter compartment and the AA cells that it uses so that the connection in the battery compartment becomes broken through normal use and so the bluetooth connection to the mac is lost. This explanation makes sense to me in that I found that a little "percussive maintenance"--banging it on the table--would re-establish the connection. Also putting little bits of aluminum foil against the negative connector in the battery compartment also seems to help.

Finding the location of the left and right "buttons" on the smooth surface can be a problem. Successive attempts bring up option menus and other things that get in the way of doing work. Also if you grip the sides too strongly you can send a back arrow to the browser (in my case 64-bit Chrome) and loose your work.

Supposedly using gestures to scroll up and down with the magic mouse is smoother that with a good usb mouse. I didn't find this to be true. You can also use gestures to scroll right and left, move forward and backward through web pagers, and to get to and from the dashboard. But the gestures are no more useful than the usual ways of doing this--clicking, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.