Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,396 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,049 reviews
on July 26, 2016
Got this mouse instead of the Magic Mouse 2 because it had a better reputation. If you're undecided of buying a $80 mouse for MacBook, DO IT, don't get a cheap knockoff to pair with a computer that deserves only respect. If you get a $1000 laptop pair it with a mouse that matches. You won't regret it. And it even comes with battery's. A+
review image
on May 16, 2015
I have had my mac for about 4 years. After the 4 years I had to replace my Magic Mouse. We decided to get another because we were use to it and it does work well. The only issues I have found with this mouse are two.

CONS

1. It eats through batteries like crazy, making the mouse much more expensive then it's original cost. That said I don't turn off my mouse so that may have something to do with it.
2. The battery back eventually came loose and would not stay on correctly.
3. I don't know if it was because of the battery back or not but the batteries were no longer making the connection it needed to work so it was losing connection constantly.

PROS

1. The sleek design fits nicely in your hand
2. Love that it doesn't have a scroll wheel
3. It does work well until it starts to wear down.

I just wish they would either use a different type of battery that last longer, or come out with a solar powered mouse :)
on June 20, 2015
Apple's 2015 update to OSX 10.10 ("Yosemite") takes some features from iOS 8 for iPads etc. and transports them to the computer, including gestures like swiping that you can use on a touchpad -- or on the Magic Mouse, to some extent. The ability to use gestures is moderately useful, and the physical design of the mouse is fine. It has only one large "button" that takes up the whole surface, but you can set it up so that you can right-click on one side and left-click on the other, which as a refugee from Windows is nice. You can also scroll with your finger despite the absence of a scroll wheel, and scroll left & right. The scrolling feature is worth paying the price of the two possibly related flaws in the Bluetooth connection.

Flaw (1): It has very limited Bluetooth range. It's OK next to the computer, but if you get more than about 6 feet away, the new Mac Mini I have doesn't respond. It's like a dropped cell phone call. Bluetooth is supposed to work up to 10 meters (33 feet) away, but this Bluetooth on the Magic Mouse loses signal at only 20% of that range. And (2) after using two of these on three different current-model Mac Minis, my experience is mediocre in terms of having a stable Bluetooth connection. The mouse loses its link fairly often - at least once every day or so. The fastest way to restore the connection seems to by putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up. Apple's support site says that other 2.4GHz devices like cordless phones can cause interference with the Bluetooth signal, but I have other Bluetooth devices in the same environment that do not drop their connections. Too bad, because when the Magic Mouse works it's very comfortable and has useful features - notably the very smooth up-and-down scrolling and the ability to scroll left and right.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2009
Okay, I will say I'm very partial to this mouse, but I'm going to try and write an objective review here for kicks. I'm going to break this down into topical sections for easy digestion.

=== Tracking ===
Tracking is, surprisingly for a Bluetooth mouse, superbly smooth in everyday use. (I'm not an FPS gamer, so I can't comment on the performance for twitch gaming.) Pointer movement is very smooth and consistent, as with the best corded and non-BT cordless mice. Also, in my tests, the mouse tracked perfectly on a white laminate table and a brushed aluminum table -- both difficult surfaces for many laser and optical mice.

Many reviewers have complained that the tracking is too slow, even at the highest speed setting. Although I haven't experienced this problem, I believe it is real for those people; but I think it must be a problem that is specific to their particular software and/or hardware environment, by no means a universal problem. (The Magic Mice at the Apple Stores I've been to have not manifested it.) These users may find relief with a new third-party freeware called BetterTouchTool, which has a greater range of mouse speed adjustment than Apple's prefpane -- more on BetterTouchTool below.

=== Scrolling ===
The touch-based scrolling is a revelation. I leave the momentum option on, and scrolling through long web pages is a dream. So smooth! The scrolling action is similar to dragging the slider on a scroll bar, rather than clicking the up/down scroll buttons as it is with most other mice. After having used the Magic Mouse and its amazing scrolling talents for a couple of weeks, when I'm now forced to use conventional mice, the scrolling feels jumpy and crude. That said, I do sometimes miss the feel of turning a physical scroll wheel. I'd say that a physical wheel might provide more predictable scrolling. But the nearly pixel-precise scrolling action of the Magic Mouse just feels really luxurious. The only thing I would ask Apple to improve is to let users adjust the "friction" of the momentum scrolling with a slider in the prefpane. I would reduce the friction a bit.

=== Buttons/Configurability ===
As you will know already, this is a one-button mouse that can be used as a two-button mouse thanks to smart software. I have experienced zero problems with the mouse distinguishing between left and right clicks. It is true that the mouse does not recognize right clicks when your index finger is resting on the mouse. This hasn't been a problem for me at all, because for some reason I naturally lift my index finger slightly when I start pushing down with my middle finger. The other thing that is widely known is that there is no provision for middle clicks or other actions besides the ones mentioned in the product literature. Apple really has a lot of room for improvement in the device driver in this area.

But what is perhaps less known is that there is an excellent little freeware third-party app called BetterTouchTool (for OS X only) that addresses these shortcomings very well. For example, you can map a three-finger tap to Expose or any key combination. It is an absolute must. The app is still in a very early development phase and is frequently updated (sometimes several times in one day), and there are several features yet to be fully implemented, but already it has removed all cause for complaint about lack of configurability, as far as I'm concerned.

=== Ergonomics ===
The mouse's shape takes some getting used to. It's very low, which discourages resting your palm on it (or wrapping your whole hand around it). The sharp edges also detract from holding this mouse as you would rounder ones. The optimum way I've found to hold this mouse is to lightly grip its sides, with my thumb on one side, my ring finger and pinkie on the other, and my palm making no contact with the top. This is easy to do because the sides curve inward from top to bottom, providing a sure grip. It's a sort of dainty way to hold the mouse, but it works, and it also minimizes accidental scrolling, which happens sometimes when you inadvertently touch the top. As a bonus, the aluminum sides provide a nice, cool sensation to the fingertips when you grab it again after letting it rest for a while.

Another ergonomic quibble I have is that the smooth plastic top of the mouse produces too much friction when my fingers are not perfectly dry. The textured glass of Apple's latest trackpads is much better in this regard. As a workaround, I have taken to putting a little light oil on the mouse top to reduce this friction and make scrolling easier.

=== Conclusion ===
This is an unusual and innovative mouse that unfortunately demands some adjustment in usage habits to get the best results, but then rewards you with superior functionality -- especially with an assist from some third-party software.
1616 comments| 839 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2016
This is my second magic mouse. Below are my thoughts:

Design: There simply is not a better looking mouse on the market. It is smooth and sleek. It feels great in the hand and carries Apple's signature elegant look.

Compatibility: If you have an Apple computer, this mouse is the easiest to connect. No need to plug in a bulky receiver in your USB slot. Simply turn on your bluetooth.

Function: I love the simplicity of the single glass surface. It is very intuitive. The mouse is just like having an Apple trackpad that you can move around to track things. It recognizes all of the multi-touch motions you can do on a trackpad, and tracks the mouse arrow effortlessly. I have never had a problem of the mouse sticking like cheaper mouses.

This is hands down the creme a la creme of mouses.
on December 30, 2014
Bluetooth connection goes out a lot. Some forum traffic suggests that the problem is a small difference between the dimensions of the batter compartment and the AA cells that it uses so that the connection in the battery compartment becomes broken through normal use and so the bluetooth connection to the mac is lost. This explanation makes sense to me in that I found that a little "percussive maintenance"--banging it on the table--would re-establish the connection. Also putting little bits of aluminum foil against the negative connector in the battery compartment also seems to help.

Finding the location of the left and right "buttons" on the smooth surface can be a problem. Successive attempts bring up option menus and other things that get in the way of doing work. Also if you grip the sides too strongly you can send a back arrow to the browser (in my case 64-bit Chrome) and loose your work.

Supposedly using gestures to scroll up and down with the magic mouse is smoother that with a good usb mouse. I didn't find this to be true. You can also use gestures to scroll right and left, move forward and backward through web pagers, and to get to and from the dashboard. But the gestures are no more useful than the usual ways of doing this--clicking, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
on March 3, 2016
I purchased this mouse to use with my MacBook Pro as I don't like to use the track pad that is built into the computer. I had a bit of trouble setting it up but now it works just fine. It was my own ignorance to blame. I didn't know I had to enable the secondary right click feature and mistakenly thought the mouse was faulty. This free's up the USB port on the computer for other things as this mouse utilizes built in bluetooth technology. I was using a USB wireless mouse before. Thin and compact, it fits easily in my laptop pouch. It pairs up easily with the laptop once you know what you are doing.
on May 26, 2016
This mouse is great if it exists only a desk. I used this mouse for my laptop and kept the mouse in the back pack while not in use. However, the little switch on the bottom of the mouse would switch on very often from normal movement of the backpack. And once turned on and a mouse button pushed down, it prevents clicking on the track pad. This drove me nuts so many times that I eventually removed it from my backpack.

The cost of the mouse is also excessive for what you get but hey it's an "Apple" product.
on July 1, 2015
This was purchased to replace the corded mouse that came with my work computer. It was extremely easy to install and very sleek looking. The mouse also works very well, but only after installing MagicPref from the Apple website. With some wireless computer mice you are extremely limited on how far from the sensor you can use the mouse. This mouse has a very large range, is consistent, and is very smooth. I actually was showing a presentation to some people in my office and was across the room clicking on items with this mouse. It has different speed settings so you can set this for gaming or just everyday office work. Another plus is that the battery lasts. I have not had to replace it and have had it for over 3 months. I will say the design is a little hard to get used to. It is very flat and only has a slight curve. You also have to get used to the one button mouse. You can convert it using the MagicPrf installation however. Overall, this is a great mouse and Apple has done it again.
on April 19, 2016
This mouse works pretty good but there are quirks that either it's doing or I'm doing (i.e., suddenly the page jumps up on down, the script that I'm writing because I happened to touch the mouse. And sometimes that thingy bar that can be grabbed and move the page up or down is not there unless I press the mouse. I am still not sure if it's a quirk of wi-fi or the product itself, and maybe even this Macintosh. I do know the other mouse that plugs into the computer never did this sort of thing. I hope to research this matter online and come to a better determination. Otherwise, it's a snazzy looking mouse, I'll give it that much. Oh, and wireless mouse's live up to their reputation for going through batteries. This one sure does.