Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,311 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,544 reviews
VINE VOICEon August 21, 2010
I've owned one of these since Apple released it, and under OS X 10.6, it was a decent mouse replacement for people used to the trackpads in their MacBooks, and I used it or didn't use it as whatever pointing device was convenient on my desk. It was fine, if not particularly compelling. With OS X Lion and the more pervasive inclusion of gestures into the operating system and Apple provided apps, the Magic Trackpad became the best way to do non-keyboard input with a Mac, and OS X Mountain Lion continues the trend with even more gestures.

Let's take the simple example of going backwards in my browser history. I'm afraid I've never gotten into the habit of using the command key equivalent to go backwards (it's command-[ ), so I would have zipped my mouse pointer up to the left arrow button on the toolbar and clicked it. Compare with the gestural equivalent of this: drag my index and middle fingers across the trackpad to the right. Bam, it's done and with the beautiful solid page drag of modern Safari actually looks like you are pushing the old page off the stack to reveal the last page. So much faster and so much more natural.

Of course, old habits die hard and despite the obvious superiority of the two finger drag gesture, I found myself still going for that button I've spent nearly twenty years pressing. The solution, I went to Safari's "Customize Toolbar.." command in the "View" menu and dragged the left and right buttons off my Safari toolbar. Now I have no choice but to use the new way. Problem solved and the new habit is rapidly engrained.

Similarly, one of the features of Lion I just love is full screen apps. iOS has shown that there are times when you want an immersive experience unitasking on one app. Like when I'm using iPhoto do do some serious photo categorizing, or when I want to set up Google Chrome for my kids to browse without worrying about them getting confused by task switching. However, once you are in a full screen app mode, many of the previous methods for switching between apps such as clicking on the dock or just clicking on another window are not in your face available. Now the three fingered index, middle and ring fingers drag makes it seamless to slip out of unitasking mode and back to the hectic world of multiple windows.

One gesture I'm still getting used to on Mountain Lion is the two finger from the edge swipe which slides the OS X Notification Center in from the right. Assuming notifications are useful, this will be useful, but the gesture itself seems a bit unnatural as you have to bump your fingertips over the blunt edge of the Trackpad. In the long term we'll see if it makes my life easier, for many people it will.

These are just examples of the many things that are impossible with a traditional mouse or trackball, sort of doable with Apple's own Magic Mouse and once internalized the most natural and seemingly intuitive actions with the Magic Trackpad or with the built in trackpads to a MacBook. And, I have every reason to expect that Apple will continue to gradually level us up, and accustom us to ever more subtle gestures as both the gestural language and users become more sophisticated.

The hardware is classic Apple, elegant in its minimalism, yet not without its flaws. The number one flaw is that it cannot be used to mouse click when not laying on a flat surface. Sometimes I just want to lean back on my chair with my input device in my lap, thigh or balanced on a chair arm. Because there is no "button" on a Magic Trackpad, clicks are registered by pressing the whole device down through its little rubber feet, which necessarily have to be pressed up against something flat. Thus no acrobatic use. Also the edge is a bit too blunt and scrapes the thumb a bit.

Battery life is good, I typically go a good month of daily use between switching out the rechargeables, although I haven't kept close tabs, usually just switching them when I feel bored. I will admit to buying Apple's own pricey Battery Charger but the budget minded might try Sanyo Eneloop 2 battery charger with at least 4 total batteries so that there will always be one pair in the charger and one in the device.

In conclusion, this is not just a flat mouse. The addition of gestures make it something more, allowing a user interaction that alternative devices cannot achieve. It does take an effort on the user's part to fully utilize these new capabilities. It would be easy to treat this as a decent enough mouse and wonder why one would use a trackpad when a high precision and cheaper mouse could be used in the same desk space. If you buy this item, commit yourself to breaking old habits and gaining new powers.
2121 comments| 219 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2015
It was hard to imagine using a trackpad with my desktop (MacPro G5) but I gave it a try after my Kensington Expert rollerball mouse started to make my right hand sore with hours of use. I'd put up with it for a couple of years but had heard about the trackpad as a possible alternative. After a day or two of getting used to the Magic Trackpad, I am loving it. It really helps to get rid of the regular mouse entirely to force yourself to learn, and just keep the trackpad Systems Preferences window open so you can watch the helpful mini-movies of each action. I'm left-handed, partially ambidextrous, so I can use the trackpad with EITHER hand now (placed closer to me on a flat surface I should say). I could not use the Kensington with my left hand (my brain wouldn't do that) but the trackpad is different, more like writing I guess. Still tweaking the settings but am using the swipe gesture for web pages and full-screen apps and starting to feel very comfortable with it for right-click, dragging and other operations. Tapping your index finger rather than clicking with thumb whenever possible (per settings, you can do either for some functions) it is so easy on hands which have a little arthritis going. Be sure to look not just at trackpad settings in your System preferences, but in the "Accessibility" panel where a couple more trackpad "dragging" options are found that can be significant (google it). Your 50-year-old brain will still reach "right" for that mouse by habit for a few days but then you'll smile and start dragging around on the trackpad. It too will become second nature in time I'm sure.
on March 7, 2013
I discontinued using, and will now sell my Trackpad, for one reason, and one reason only. Inadvertent clicks!

As a long time mouse user, I took the advice of others and used the Trackpad for a total of ten days. They were right, you really do get used to it rather quickly. Indeed, I really had a hard time deciding to go back to the mouse. There is a lot to like about it. I found it to be a bit easier on my wrist, not that the mouse is a burden. But there was a noticeable difference in wrist fatigue between the two, the Trackpad being less fatiguing.

Scrolling is great! If scrolling was the only consideration, the Trackpad would win hands down! I can't say I was thrilled with the click and drag feature of the Trackpad, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The click utilized for dragging (pushing down the entire Trackpad) is a bit stiff, and I have big hands. The click (different from the primary click I will describe later) occurs when you press down on the Trackpad and the two small modules on the underside are depressed slightly into the pad itself. Then, while maintaining relatively firm downward pressure, you drag your finger across the pad, accomplishing a click and drag on the monitor. Not near as easy as with a mouse, but I wouldn't have gotten rid of it just for that.

The Trackpad was rock solid. I used it on a wood desk and at no time did it even begin to move.

The real problem is the primary (left for a mouse) click and secondary (right for a mouse) click. These are accomplished with a tap on the top of the pad with either one or two fingers, one finger for left click and two fingers for right click. I was constantly accomplishing a primary click when it was not my intent. And the click itself was inconsistent. Most of the time if I merely lightly brushed the pad with a finger, or happened to let my finger lay on it, I got a click. Then there were times that I wanted to click and when I purposely tapped on the pad, nothing happened. On those occasions I would have to tap the pad a second time more forcefully. But the clicks that I did not want were the worst! I found myself navigating around any click-able items on a web page to avoid being sent off to a page I did not want, or selecting something I didn't care to select. This became increasingly annoying, and if in the process of making a purchase, or buying or selling stocks, it was quite problematic! The secondary click, though not near as bad, could be a problem if you do not hit the pad with both fingers at the same time. I often got a primary click when trying to perform a secondary click.

In all fairness, there are other ways to accomplish some clicks and drags with the Trackpad. But those involve use of the keyboard or having only a small portion or corner of the Trackpad utilized for clicks. I was interested only in using it in the same general manner as I use a mouse, without utilizing the key board or, looking to ensure I was hitting a certain area of the pad to perform a click.

So, it's back to a mouse for me. I will conclude by saying though that if either Apple or Logitech produces a Trackpad without the click shortcomings, such as being able to adjust the tap firmness required to perform a click, I will be waiting in line to buy it!
on July 9, 2016
I bought this for my laptop since I ended up buying a stand to help with posture. I first was using just a regular mouse but then got tired of not being able to use the quick functions that I was used to with the Trackpad so I went ahead and spent a little extra so I could have those functions back again. I do a lot of school work on my computer as a student so I thought the investment would be worth it and it is sooo much better having the trackpad as opposed to a normal mouse.

If you are on the fence about a mouse vs a trackpad, go with the trackpad. You will be happy that you did.
Well made - as expected - this Apple Magic Trackpad works well with my late 2012 Mac Mini. I am using it along side a Logitech K750 Solar Keyboard and so far, really happy with the combination.

The Magic Trackpad does take some getting used to, but couldn't be easier to setup via Bluetooth connection. It looks good and its settings can be tweaked to your liking in System Preferences - Trackpad. I suggest watching the brief tutorials provided there or going to the Apple site in Support to view them. *The back of the box also has basic traackpad gestures explained. Taking a look at all these things really helped me to feel more confident in using this trackpad.

This is a fairly expensive accessory, but well worth the money if you spend a lot of time working with photos or scrolling through multiple web pages on a daily basis. The build quality is excellent and once you train your brain to use it, it's a great time saver.
on November 22, 2014
I adore this track pad! Be sure you have batteries on hand but you can get an awful lot more out of the batteries than the battery low warning suggests. Just be sure NOT to drop it, lean on it or anything else. It's glass. I did and continued to use one thinking it was hard plastic. Opps. My finger has lots of tiny non bleeding cuts now but that's ok my bad. Be sure to keep the instructions near by because there are a lot of cool things you can do with this if you read up on it! to log into my computer I have to press the lower right side between two fingers to be able to type my password. After that it works as normal. Weird.

If you are connecting a new pad it's best to have a traditional mouse hooked up so you can use to to make the connection. If you use an old wireless mouse it gets tricky because the computer will only recognize one. I had to be certain to set it up in such a way that when it was disconnected my cursor was already set on the button to push. Love not being died down. Using a 27 inch in my bedroom and have a wireless mouse and keyboard on my bed. It's GREAT! Much better than typing on a laptop that gets so hot in a bed!
VINE VOICEon April 9, 2011
We needed to go to Apple to get the driver to set this up which was one of two slight problems. Three minutes of frustration opened up a world of possibilities on our desktop computer. The other problem is getting used to it after years of using a mouse that you put your hand around. It's the same learning curve as the first track pad you had on a laptop.

I use it for some things more than others. I rarely find it useful for working with images in Photoshop. However, I found it very useful when I'm looking at web pages on the internet. The ability to zoom in with finger gestures to see details is amazing. The ability to scroll laterally is as useful as the long-available ability to scroll up and down a page.

This brought the capability of the track pad to our iMac. It is very like the trackpad on my Macbook Pro, except that it is larger. I especially find it useful to be able to move it around to the right side of the keyboard where it is more comfortable for me. My MacBook trackpad, in the center front, now feels... a little awkward. I like the trackpad to be on the side and am now a little jealous of the ability. If I didn't have to pack up so many things already to move around with my laptop, I would seriously consider getting a second one.

The design is characteristically Apple genius. Using the battery compartment to create a stand is brilliant. But then Apple is so careful of so many designs, even the boxes things come in, that brilliant seems like an understatement.
on October 1, 2015
Apple Magic Trackpad connects quickly and functions dependably, even from 8 feet away from the front of my laptop. Even so, I find it a bit touchy and inconvenient, but perhaps that is my old, gnarled hands. You might have a much better experience. Though the Apple Magic Mouse is preferable most of the time, and functions up to 8 ft away, it disconnects often, so I use the Trackpad to get it to connect/reconnect, which is more convenient than using my laptop's built-in track pad. I keep the Trackpad nearby, and consider it a necessary accessory to the rather capricious mouse. I mentioned this phenomenon at two Apple Stores, and neither could explain why the Mouse was so capricious and the Trackpad so dependable.
on July 10, 2014
This device looks sharp and functions fairly well but I have to crush some of your expectations.

1.) If you think its going to be like the trackpad on your MacBook you are wrong, while it sort of feels the same it doesn't click the same way.
2.) The angle, its titled upwards which is fine for short use but if you try to use it all day your wrist is going to hurt because of the angle.

That being said I do use it along side a regular mouse when I am casually browsing the internet and need to do gesture based actions like pinch to zoom and what not.
on December 6, 2011
I bought 9 Magic TrackPads for a classroom in an retirement resort community. I was not sure about the reception of the TrackPad by the students. After instruction, using the System Preferences, which shows videos of the gestures, the students were amazingly receptive. Some bought one to have at home. In the System Preferences, uncheck the "Tap to Click" and increase the tracking speed to help new TrackPad users become used to it. The Magic TrackPad helps Mac users take full advantage of the features of the Mac OS X Lion operating system.