Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Apple iPad Mini MD528LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, Black & Slate)
Size: 16 GB|Item Shape: Wi-Fi|Color: Black|Change

on April 12, 2013
The product itself is fantastic and my stars are based on the product being a great deal and a great device.

But for anyone thinking of buying from Amazon, be warned. I purchased one of these for someone on her birthday and it was listed as new. Amazon seems to only sell iPad minis from third party sellers, not from Amazon.com itself, meaning another company gets the iPads from any source they want, sends them to Amazon, and Amazon ships them. One of these sellers listed an iPad mini slightly above retail price, but cheaper than all of the other iPad minis on Amazon. In fact, when I searched for iPad mini, it was the seller and product page the site automatically directed me to. The page indicated it as new, and sold it to me via Amazon. When my friend got her iPad mini, it looked new, was packaged and sealed like new, but when she turned it on, it was tied to someone else's icloud account. I called apple and gave them the serial number. Sure enough, the item was used, only had about 60 days left in the warranty (instead of 90) and was registered through Apple to a different customer. If I wanted a used iPad Mini, I would have paid less. Much less.

I even emailed the user who had previously owned it (since her email address via iCloud was showing up when my friend tried to access the app store. I emailed the previous user just to make sure it wasn't a stolen product. She explained that she had purchased it a few weeks back from At&T, not from Amazon. She wanted a wifi + 3g version, not just wifi, so she returned it and somehow, the third party seller got their hands on it and sold it to me as new.

In the defense of of the third party seller, once I got their phone number from Amazon and called them (most seller numbers are not on Amazon, you have to call and request a phone number), they provided a scary explanation: They explained that there are problems with Amazon's FBA system (fulfillment). Sometimes, iPads are returned with nothing but index cards in the box and Amazon thinks there is an iPad inside. Sometimes, products mingle, and so another seller's used iPads might be with a different seller's new iPads. They explained that they have a very legitimate source of iPads and have been selling iPads for years and that this is a rare occurrence, although it has happened before. I have no way of verifying any of this, so I can't blame Amazon or the seller. All I can say is that for such a large purchase, and one that is a gift, you are better off buying from a major retail store that doesn't sell used items at all (or buying from Amazon when it is shipped and sold and fulfilled by Amazon). Right now, this product is actually on sale at Walmart.

Amazon refunded me but now my friend has to return her birthday gift. I recommend buying from someone other than Amazon. For this particular product, it's probably the cheaper route to do that anyway. If you do buy from Amazon, call Apple with your Serial Number and verify it is a new, unregistered product with a full 90 day warranty. Don't get scammed.
3737 comments| 3,724 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 22, 2016
I bought this for myself March 2016. Went on vacation July 2016 and all was well then while I was on iPad it turned off and will not come back. I didn't spend this kind of money for it to work for 4 months. I ended up taking this iPad to a phone surgeon store, paid $30 for them to look into it and see it can be fixed, which it cannot, this is what was found (see picture below)
They plan to write a review of their findings, I will post when I receive. Digitizer was out on iPad. LCD connector had been shorting for some time and was melting the inside, as well as around the inner sides. You can see this in the photo. The man from the phone surgeon store also expressed it was his opinion that this would have been known prior to them "refurbishing" it and that I got ripped off. I know I took a chance on purchasing a refurbished iPad but I feel as if I put my trust into the wrong place and I am posting this so maybe I can help others not make the same mistake. I sometimes expect people to do the right thing and not be greedy, therefore placing my trust where it is not belonged, this definitely being one of those times.
review image
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 28, 2016
I purchased this for school for my middle schooler. It arrived on time and it's pretty good condition but the screen had a darkened streak on the bottom of the screen. Not a big deal it's refurbished but after turning it on I realized it is extremely slow. Like so slow it takes 5-10 seconds after typing something for it to show up. And that was with absolutely nothing but factory apps on it. It was so slow to do anything that it was pretty much unusable. I purchased the black version for one of my other kids at the same time and even though it says they are pretty much the same the black one was so much better! I was able to return for a full refund without any issues so that's the reason for the 3 stars. If you're not worried about speed then it's a nice little tablet but if you need one that works decently then go with a different one. It's possible that I just got a bad one but from what I've heard from other people it's hit or is with this version of the iPad mini.
on November 17, 2017
I mostly use my tablets to read magazines with Zinio or books with Overdrive or Kindle. This means they get a lot of use around the beginning and end of the month when new issues come out, or after a visit to Amazon or the library's web site to grab a book to read. But any of them may sit for a week or more unused.

The battery life of the iPad Mini in standby is exceptional. I just set mine to charge (which prompted this review) and it had six hours of use and 340 hours of standby and the battery was at 40%. I really love that the tablet is always ready to go.

It is also very light and easy to hold. And it's tough. I recently dropped mine flat on its back on a concrete surface from about 24" and it was unharmed.

The display is more than adequate and the speed is fine. My Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 is also a great tablet, but the battery life is nothing like the iPad Mini's.
on February 10, 2014
I bought this NEW IPad Mini and had it shipped in two days and it arrived on time. After reading a previous review about receiving a used IPad Mini instead of a NEW one, I made sure to check it out completely by taking it out of the packing before giving it as a present. I definitely think I got a refurbished IPad Mini and here are my thoughts on why:

I watched a YouTube video on unboxing a new IPad Mini to see how an IPad Mini came packaged. At first I noticed the box had a few dents but thought this was due to shipping. Also the serial number on the back and all the bar codes seemed to be rubbed off and not easily visible to read (I still have my Ipad box after 2 years and the bar codes never smudged). Next I noticed a lot of particles on the surface of the screen which is odd and the back of the IPad looked a little worn (not so silvery in a few spots). When watching the YouTube video, I saw that there should be three papers included in the box, a card with all the buttons, an apple sticker, and some other information. My box had no apple sticker and only one card.

I turned the IPad one and it worked and was fully charged (Ipad’s and Iphone’s usually never come fully charged). When I eventually gave it as the gift I set it up for my mom and it was not linked to anyone’s account and turned on like new.
To double check I searched the serial number on Apple’s website and the Ipad Mini only had about 3 days left of phone support when it should have either 60 or 90 days (I forget the exact amount).

I decided to keep the Ipad Mini and give it as a gift anyway as I don’t think it would have been worth contacting the vendor and filing a claim however I am disappointed that it most likely was not a new Ipad Mini. Also Apple does not sell these models in stores anymore as the Ipad Mini Retina is now available.

My review is mostly to inform you to buy this product directly from Best Buy or any other electronic store if you can or order a used IPad instead of a new one.
on February 28, 2016
The first time I ordered the Black and Slate original iPad Mini, I was sent an iPad Mini 2. I was so close to keeping it, but I felt so bad about keeping a free upgrade. The sticker on the plastic packaging said iPad Mini Black and Slate, but the box and iPad Mini inside was an iPad Mini 2 space gray. So I contacted Amazon and they authorized a return and a refund. I reordered from a different seller, figuring this was a fluke. My new iPad Mini came... another iPad Mini 2 space gray. The same problem: the sticker on the plastic packaging said iPad Mini Black and Slate but inside was an iPad Mini 2. What's more, the deception seemed more deliberate here: the sticker on the plastic was placed in such a way as to cover the HUGE "iPad Mini 2" box label on the back. I called Amazon to inform them that something fishy was going on at one of their distribution centers. I also told them that after trying to do the right thing THE FIRST TIME, I wouldn't be returning this "free" upgrade. I really DID want the original iPad Mini Black and Slate because I think it's BEAUTIFUL. Sigh... But I'll keep the awesome upgrade. Yaay!
on May 20, 2015
I bought this iPad refurbished after doing months of research.
I wanted something at a discount from the newest mini, and I looked at all the models before deciding on this one. They are all the same size, so really its just the gHz and the camera that are improved, but I didn't care about those things so decided on this generation.

This mini is really one of my favorite purchases. I already own a macbook and an iphone, so it really was an impulse and convenience purchase, and one that I was hesitant to make (because I already have a lot of tech stuff). As I already own apple products and love them, I didn't look at any other tablets, so no comparisons here. But I am really happy with my purchase. I was worried that the mini would be way too small, but it is such a perfect size. It is super convenient and fits right in my purse - and it is so light I almost forget it's in there!

I bought this case from the seller Stephen Parnell, and I was super pleased with its condition. Honestly if I didn't know I bought a refurbished mini, I would think it was brand new! Some VERY, very small dings on one corner edge but that't it.
I feel like this device is a little slow to charge, which is a bit odd, but other than that, very pleased.
Normally I do not review products that I do not buy at Amazon, but I am making an exception for the iPad Mini.

Let me start by stating that all my gadgetry is Apple. We own an iMac, iPod nano, two iPhones, and an iPad 3. Suffice to say: we like Apple products.

Honestly, the reason I bought the iPad mini 16G, WiFi was: one, it can fit in one hand; two, it is cheaper than a new iPad; and three, because I wanted it.

So: I've stated that I'm a loyal Apple customer and probably will be the rest of my life. It might be that I'm biased when it comes to Apple products as are a large majority of Apple customers.

I was apprehensive at first about the display. When I found out the Mini wasn't using a Retina display, I nearly didn't buy one. I love the beautiful resolution of my iPad 3.
Apple used the same 1024-by-768 as the iPad 2, BUT the screen is 7.9 inches. In my opinion the display resolution is great. Not iPad 3 great, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I have to agree with Apple and say that the 7.9 inch screen is perfect for a smaller tablet. +1 for Mini

The Mini is 53% lighter than the iPad and 23% thinner--not a major selling point for me, but not a distraction either. +1 for Mini

The iSight 5 megapixel camera takes great pictures and shoots decent movies for what it is. I've tried out the FaceTime and it works great--picture resolution is adequate. +1 for Mini

Speed: The dual-core A5 provides this device with plenty of computing power. I was impressed as I thought the Mini's speed would suffer as Apple was attempting to cheapen the product a bit. It didn't. Internet surfing is lightning fast! +2 for Mini

I'm satisfied with the battery life. Apple says that the Mini has ten hours of battery life and they're pretty close. +1 for Mini

I love the aluminum unibody cover. The thing is sweet looking: sleek, like I'm in a sci-fi movie using some futuristic device. I heard one dude say it's sexy. I'm not sure that I'd go as far as calling a hunk of aluminum, glass, and plastic sexy, but it is easy on the eyes. Apple nailed it on the aesthetics of the Mini. +2 for Mini

At first, I was peeved about the Lightning connector (I still am a bit). All my other devices have the old 30-pin connector. I have only one cable to charge the Mini and four old cables that will eventually be obsolete. The smaller port is great though--it looks much better, more compact and I understand why Apple did what they did...but it still sucks when you have multiple other Apple devices with the old port. Everything has to change sometime, I guess.
-1 for Mini (not Apple's fault, my preference)
Hey: when the apps and widgets get boring Siri's there to ask millions of important questions to. Who doesn't love them some Siri?
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 24, 2013
First of all I need to say that this product arrived perfectly on time. It was as brand-new as you would have bought in the Apple store.
The product itself is a top class technology. iPad Mini is very mobile, which is the biggest advtange over the regular iPad. It has all necessary and far from necessary functions. Battery life is absolutely amazing. Display quality is not as high as retina, however, you will not even think about its bad sides. If you are an iPhone user and this is your first iPad - you will need to get used to the little specifics of the keyboard on Mini. 1080P HD video is just a beauty to watch. No lagging whatsoever, just pure class. Overall this is a high class product that will let you feel the whole world in your one hand.
review image
0Comment| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2016
I bought this item from Cell Center in May 2015. We kept it in a Lifeproof case. This fall it began to act weird. Typing on it's own. Opening one random app on top of another. Refusing to recognize our selections and selecting random things on screen sometimes in rapid sequences. We reset, then restored it then called Apple and tested it. Long story short whatever the refurbishment Call Center did it was incomplete as this is not a software issue but a hardware issue which most likely relates to the incomplete fixes Call Center did to band aid an ailing product making it last just long enough to get us past the return window. They will not make good on their product. Do not buy from them!