BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 17, 2014
Ejects every DVD I stick in it after admittedly playing much of the first two DVDs I stuck in it.

A cursory bit of research on the internet shows that there have been non-stop problems with this product for years. Why the heck did I buy it?

Apple, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Amazon, I appreciate your simple and convenient return logistics.
on October 7, 2015
In spite of the fact that this is an Apple product, don't let that fool you. I have a Mini Mac and this is not compatible at all. From the searching I did on line to find a solution to get this thing to work, or even open, apparently this is not compatible, or at least easily compatible with other Macs. Don't waste your time and money Buy something less expensive off the shelf at Best Buy where you can talk to someone who knows what will work for your computer.
on October 16, 2014
After six months with my new iMac, I finally broke down and bought an optical drive. There's some music that you just can't get online.

Like all Apple products, the Superdrive is well designed, well built and does an excellent job. Plug it in, insert a disc and go from there.

My only complaint is that the USB cable is ridiculously short at just under 13.5 inches, so I'm knocking off a star. All of my other Apple cables, including my iPhone, iPad and iPod cables, are longer.
on April 26, 2015
I wasn't sure how I would like having to use an external drive for my MacBook Pro, but the Apple SuperDrive has performed like a champ. From day one, you just plug it in to a USB slot and it works. No external power needed. I have not yet found a DVD or CD it can't play. Overall, I am quite happy. One change of habits - since the drive is not internal to the computer, there is no disk eject button on they keyboard. You have to "right click" the disk and select Eject Disk from the pop up menu. That is no problem, just a change. The only down side is that the cord from the drive to the USB connector is very short. The disk must be physically located very close to the computer - and it has to plug directly into the computer, not a hub. On my desk at home, no problem. In my motorhome, this will require a little creative arranging to fit the MacBook Pro and the SuperDrive on my small folding table. Still, I don't use it all that often in the motorhome, so this won't be a problem. Overall, I am surprised at how happy I am with this drive.
Yes, I'm old school at heart and I am still holding on to DVD's (in some cases) instead of downloading everything. Due to this I needed a solution to download programs from disc to Mac and this sleek little DVD drive did the job. It is plug and play and needs no external power cord. As soon as I plugged it in my MAC recognized it and the disc in it.

I am so glad I made this purchase which allows me to have the option between downloading from the web or downloading from a disc on my 2013 MacBook Pro.
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2015
I just received my Apple USB Superdrive. I have had my Mac desktop for six months and really wasn't sure I needed the external CD/DVD drive until I started looking at new software and a CD drive was suggested. I am very pleased with the Apple USB Superdrive because I don't need an electrical outlet for the power, it comes from the computer. All I need is one USB port on the Mac and I am ready to work. I am a new Apple user and I highly recommend this USB Superdrive for the new Mac desktop computer.
on October 15, 2014
Did not work with my Mac Book Pro laptop (2012 model), which has a superdrive built-in. There is a software fix to work around the design problem, but this is not a BUG. It was not designed to work on older laptops, before the "Retina" displays. Actually, "Retina" also means no built-in super-drive. I understand the problem is concern about the USB port having enough power to run the external disk drive.

Anyway, I bought it to use on a new iMac, which also does not come with a built-in superdrive any longer. It's the only way to load high value applications and backed-up data files. It works fine on the iMac (2014 model).

I'm surprised Apple has abandoned disc media so suddenly. They never came out with a Blu-Ray disc drive.
on March 18, 2013
I'm not sure why but I often can't get discs to eject. Often have to log out and back in to get computer to recognize there is a disk in drive to eject. It would be nice if the Superdrive just had an eject button on it. But otherwise it gets the job done.
on October 15, 2015
I don't know if it was just a bad design or poor quality control, but when I got this thing, it didn't work. I put in a CD and the device kept spitting it back out. I bought this from a third party, which was a very bad decision, since they did not refund shipping & handling. I was out about $25 from buying this product and sending it back. Meanwhile, I went to a brick & mortar store and bought an external disc drive for $30 that seems to work perfectly well. Looks like Apple just dropped the ball on this one.
on June 28, 2016
If you have the newer macbook pro 15", you know that there isn't a built in superdrive. I was initially annoyed at this, until I found this peripheral superdrive. It performs just as well as the factory installed superdrives of previous macbook models, but with the benefits of being able to remove it when you don't need it. Why is that a good thing? Well, my new macbook is much lighter than my 8 year old previous version, and it's one less thing I have to go into Applecare for, and have my computer out of service while they repair. Just bring this bit in and wait for them to call. :)