Lyft Vehicles Review Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on June 27, 2012
This "Apple USB Superdrive" is basically the exact same thing as "Apple Macbook Air USB Superdrive", except with the new Macbook pro's shipping out without an internal disc drive, they just decided to drop the "Air" from the Superdrive.

What is wonderful about this drive is that it only requires one USB Port. Often you'll find external drives requiring 2 USB ports, one for Power, and one for data. On a laptop with as few USB Ports as Apple ships with, this is borderline unacceptable. As a computer Engineer, I need at least 1 port free for various interfaces, so an external drive that requires both my usb ports just wont work.

Design: While I have my gripes about Apple, build quality is not one of them. This thing is sturdy, thin, and requires a minimal amount of desk space. I actually fashioned a "bookstand" like enclosure which makes it vertical, which means it takes up even less desk real estate.

Speed: I didn't notice any major difference in speed between a medium quality laptop internal disc drive and this one.

The one thing I wish it had: Blu-ray support. I can dream can't I? That said, discs are on their way out. Which is why I'm okay with the superdrive being seperate from my laptop. I only use it when I'm at my desk anyways.

All Said and done: If you already have the superdrive for the air, don't get this one, its not any different, at least not enough to notice. If your computer does not have a disc drive like the air and retina pro, this is the drive to get, if you plan on using it for anything besides emergency purposes. If you plan on using an external drive 1-2 times a year, there are cheaper options out there. That said, this one is a great blend of build quality, ease of use, and not using a ton of my valuable ports.

Update: I had a chance to look at an air superdrive again, the USB Cord does appear to be a couple inches longer on the new superdrive. This is actually a much appreciated addition, I had forgotten how short the old USB cord was. I wouldn't have had room to plug it in from the back of the desk with the old cord length, I do now.
2222 comments| 437 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 14, 2015
Is exactly what it seems. A basic drive, aluminum, attached USB cable that plugs into (in my case) a recent vintage iMac, works with media software and controls, and is doing fine with old DVDs and music CDs. Commonly described nits are true: short USB cable, must use a precious USB port on computer (can't plug into basic USB 3.0 hub, and no ability to add blu-ray and no upgrade model/software from Apple. And is a bit pricey. But I knew these when making a purchase decision. I have not found additional nits based on my use.

I like the disk insert and eject distances ... push a disc mostly in before drive grabs disc, and eject pushes disc out far enough to handle but no farther. So no chance of disc moving mostly outside the drive without your hand on the disc. This is an issue with most slot entry drives. Not this one.

It makes the spinning sound when spinning up, and insert and eject make sounds. Nothing unusual. When the disc is playing I don't have the drive, even when I must the sound.

It's a keeper until Apple gets more serious about media players (blu-ray, 4K video, ...) or a comparable quality drive is getting 5 stars when used with Apple computer, has fully Apple-ecosystem-integrated software, and supports the higher quality media forms.
on April 26, 2015
I wasn't sure how I would like having to use an external drive for my MacBook Pro, but the Apple SuperDrive has performed like a champ. From day one, you just plug it in to a USB slot and it works. No external power needed. I have not yet found a DVD or CD it can't play. Overall, I am quite happy. One change of habits - since the drive is not internal to the computer, there is no disk eject button on they keyboard. You have to "right click" the disk and select Eject Disk from the pop up menu. That is no problem, just a change. The only down side is that the cord from the drive to the USB connector is very short. The disk must be physically located very close to the computer - and it has to plug directly into the computer, not a hub. On my desk at home, no problem. In my motorhome, this will require a little creative arranging to fit the MacBook Pro and the SuperDrive on my small folding table. Still, I don't use it all that often in the motorhome, so this won't be a problem. Overall, I am surprised at how happy I am with this drive.
VINE VOICEon March 20, 2014
I knew when I bought my MacBook that it did not come with a DVD drive. I wasn't too bothered by this as I already had most of my software and was just going to migrate it over from my other Mac. Unfortunately I had people coming in wanting to use my computer to show presentations to our staff. Often times they had it on DVD. Why they couldn't have brought a flash drive or E-mailed it to me I don't know.

But here they come DVD in hand. So, I purchased this external drive.

It is small, compact, lightweight yet sturdy. It doesn't need it's own power source as you plug it in to your USB port and the computer provides all the power it needs. It works like a charm and hasn't missed a beat since I hooked it up.

If you travel and want to take it with you it is small enough and light enough that it isn't going to cost you any concern in packing.

Again, I don't use it often and really I only use it for people who are so 'old school' that they bring me a CD or DVD. But it was a great solution.

Enjoy!
on January 17, 2015
It gets only 2 stars not because of it's performance but because of a problem with compatibility. I ordered this because the CD/DVD drive in my MacBook Pro ( 10.6.8 ) went out. I got it and found that it was not compatible with my computer because my laptop ( which I got in 2011 ) was too old and the drive, when hooked up would not work. I wish I'd known this before I ordered it because it was really what I wanted. Otherwise, I was impressed with it's sleekness and that you can push the disc in and eject it without the use of a tray which is what most other models seem to have. It's slim and the cable is attached not plugged in so there is no problem with losing the cable. The cable is not very long, that might be an issue with some people. The silver matches the housing on the laptop. Just wish they'd made it compatible with any MacBook Pro. Be sure to check before you order it. I did plug it in and it would not take a DVD under any circumstance. Again, I wish it was a Universal external drive or at least functional for any Mac, no matter the age. No alternatives from Apple are available. I got a Samsung after this and I'll be sending it back. Still looking for a good external drive.
on December 22, 2014
As a drive, it's OK but surely not exceptional.

BUT, it get's points off for being designed with a short connector; in fact, that wouldn't be bad but that for the premium price Apple should have included a 3 ft. extension cord at no extra charge. Frankly, I've lost track of the number of times my drive has fallen off the table because of a slight shift in the position of my Mac.
VINE VOICEon February 13, 2015
I just received my Apple USB Superdrive. I have had my Mac desktop for six months and really wasn't sure I needed the external CD/DVD drive until I started looking at new software and a CD drive was suggested. I am very pleased with the Apple USB Superdrive because I don't need an electrical outlet for the power, it comes from the computer. All I need is one USB port on the Mac and I am ready to work. I am a new Apple user and I highly recommend this USB Superdrive for the new Mac desktop computer.
on March 28, 2013
PRO's:
--Very quiet operation
--Familiar slot-load mechanism if you've been using Apple stuff for the past years
--With your optical drive-less Mac, it Just Works. No compatibility issues.

CON's:
--USB 2.0 cable might be a tad short for some
--Joint connecting cable to rear of drive seems rather under-engineered for something from Apple; concerns with long-term durability
--Pricey when compared to some external CD/DVD drives
--It Just Works -- until a warped or damaged disc gets stuck. See next con...
--No forcible eject (paperclip-accessible) hole. If you can't get a disc out, disassembly of the drive might be necessary (ugh)

BOTTOM LINE:
--Not my favorite product from Apple. For the price, it should have a standard USB 2.0 connector--or at least *some* kind of replaceable cable on the rear of the drive's external case. This might not be too big an issue for me and not carrying with me while I travel (it's dedicated to home use with a Mac Mini or 2013 MBA), but I would be nervous about long-term wear on the cable if moved around a lot. A forcible eject button/pinhole would be appreciated. Beyond that, it's quiet, relatively fast, and it Just Works.
on May 17, 2014
Ejects every DVD I stick in it after admittedly playing much of the first two DVDs I stuck in it.

A cursory bit of research on the internet shows that there have been non-stop problems with this product for years. Why the heck did I buy it?

Apple, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Amazon, I appreciate your simple and convenient return logistics.
on October 5, 2013
I download all my media and software directly and transfer data such as videos and photos directly to NAS drive via home network. So rarely need a CD/DVD driver anymore these days. I however travel and often are reviewing MRI and other medical imaging for patients so having something like this available is essential (or I'd have to travel with MacBook Pro instead of my MacBook Air which I'd rather not do).

I could have bought any portable CD drive to use with my Macbook Air, but this one was thin and didn't have a door that had to slide out to use (most thin designs that have door slide out seem to me to be very flimsy and risk damage with extended use seems to me). Not needing a big transformer to power the drive (USB power sufficient) is a definite plus as well.

Only thing I would prefer is that the cord could detach for better storage options. As it is currently, the cord sticks out of the drive and I have to take this into consideration when I am deciding where and how to store in my bag.