Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,370 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,488 reviews
on March 28, 2014
Yes, I'm old school at heart and I am still holding on to DVD's (in some cases) instead of downloading everything. Due to this I needed a solution to download programs from disc to Mac and this sleek little DVD drive did the job. It is plug and play and needs no external power cord. As soon as I plugged it in my MAC recognized it and the disc in it.

I am so glad I made this purchase which allows me to have the option between downloading from the web or downloading from a disc on my 2013 MacBook Pro.
on August 16, 2014
I ordered this because my NEW, latest model iMac, shockingly, came without a cd/DVD slot. So I had no choice but to get this add-on. But it was great. Works perfectly. One little problem: there are no instructions included in the package so when I plugged it in, I set it up with the Apple logo on the top. Which made sense to me. But the discs kept being ejected. I called Apple about to complain and the tech guy just laughed and told me the Apple side is the bottom, silver on the top. I felt like an idiot trying to get it to work UPSIDE DOWN! Well I just flipped it over, No problems! I love it.
on January 29, 2017
I selected this product because I did an Amazon search for “DVD drive for iPad.” Of the product offerings in the search result I selected this one because I know how touchy Apple is about anyone else’s hardware being attached to their devices.
This is a useless piece of junk. It has an integrated USB cable with a full sized USB connector. The iPad has no full-sized USB ports. All it has is a non-standard port for a power cable/USB cable. I have ordered a female-to-female adapter, but I see one comment on a help site that says flat out that there is no way to attach an external DVD player to an iPad! My search in Amazon was for a DVD player for an iPad. I even purchased an Apple DVD player knowing the closed nature of Apple. There is ZERO reason this thing should not work.
I will update this comment once I get the adapter.
I will update this comment once I get the adapter.
on October 16, 2014
I almost gave 3 stars but I remembered that my issue is not with the actual product. My issue is that mac desktops don't come with a drive anymore. However this product does a wonderful job and I have no complaints.
on February 12, 2013
Awesome external dvd/cd drive for my new 27" iMac. Setup consisted of plugging the USB cable into the back of my Mac. Mac took care of the rest and it works like a charm. I cant believe the unfair reviews by some...one star because it has a short cord? Please. It sits on top of the iMac stand...slim and same color....and in perfect position. Why put it anywhere else? It doesn't need a long cord, which i hate anyway....it would only make clutter of a very leek setup. No eject button is another complaint earning it one star. So? It is beautiful and sleek without any buttons! All u need do is command it to eject from your desktop. It's really not an issue. I love the look and function of this and highly recommend.
on August 20, 2015
Didn't know you could buy Apple Products on Amazon. Works straight out of the box. Just plugged it in and I was off. No downloading files or anything. Who knew it would be that simple?
review image
VINE VOICEon May 31, 2013
Just bought the latest 27" version imac which does not have a drive to play DVD/CDs. Bought this Apple USB Superdrive which arrived with a USB cable attached. Plugged the other end into one of the 4 USB ports on the back of the imac. Slid a Natalie Cole CD into the Superdrive and up popped a display of all 22 of the songs on the CD and the music started with song number 1. Everything is working to perfection including the ability to select any song I want and can control the volume with the keyboard. Great way to start the morning as I listen to Natalie sing Unforgettable. Yes, I am an antique and this is my kind of music along with Big Band. Great imac, great Superdrive and great music. It's all good.
on April 11, 2017
Best purchase ever!? Works seamlessly with my 2015 iMac. It reads, ,writes & plays both CD's & DVD's without a hitch.
on August 15, 2013
I simply needed an optional optical drive for my MacBook Air, and this of course is exactly what I needed. The day it arrived, I opened the well packed box, unwrapped the Superdrive, plugged it in and burned a CD easily and quickly, perfect!
on May 8, 2014
This drive is fast, sleek, and everything you'd expect from an apple version of a commodity USB CD/DVD-drive, except that it appears to be firmware-limited to only work when directly connected to your mac. Whenever I try to connect it via my powered USB hub I receive a popup message on my mac to the effect that it must be directly connected to my computer.

I have no idea why Apple imposed the technical limitation (and I've used other USB CD/DVD drives that work just fine through my hub), but it's incredibly frustrating: I have an iMac and this drive has a ~4" cord. There's basically no way to connect the drive that leaves it accessible from the front of the computer. This is a good product ruined by lousy (arrogant?) engineering.