Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Apple MacBook Air MC966LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD ...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 63% off the $1,599.00 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Apple MacBook Air MC966LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
- Intel Core i5 Processor 1.7GHz
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- 256GB Solid-State Drive
- 13.3-Inch Screen (1440x900)
- Mac OS X Lion
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
- Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5
- Number of Processors: 1
- RAM: 4 GB
- RAM Type: SDRAM
- Hard Drive: 0 GB Solid State
- Weight: 2.96 pounds
Top Customer Reviews
The primary features of the 2012 13" MacBook Air are:
- Ivy Bridge processor + HD 4000 graphics (60% better performance)
- USB 3.0
- 720p webcam
- 2x SSD read speeds. Write speeds didn't change.
- $100 price drop
I've owned the machine for 10 months now and have simplified the review for your convenience.
Things I like:
+ Light weight; 2.9 lbs (1.3 kg). You can easily hold it with one hand - the MBP 13" is noticeably heavier at 4.5 lbs.
+ Solid build quality like the MBPs. Chassis is rock solid, no keyboard flex, screen housing is rigid with minor flex in the middle.
+ Better ergonomics than the MBPs; the palm rest edges don't dig into your wrists like the edges on the MBPs do.
+ Same fluid multitouch trackpad and the backlit keyboard makes a return.
+ The screen is a pleasure to use with it's high resolution (1440 x 900) and semi-gloss finish.
There is no glass cover so there will be dramatically less reflections compared to the screen of the MBPs
I personally chose the Air over the Pro because of reduced glare.
+ 18 second boot ups and 3 second shut downs. Resumes from sleep within 3 seconds.
+ The two USB 2.0 ports are on opposite sides of the laptop (less clutter than MBP)
+ Speakers are surprisingly loud; they can fill up a small room.
+ Runs extremely cool and it's so quiet that you'll wonder if the fan is running at all.
I can definitely feel heat ~ 87 degrees F on the MPB 13's underside after 6 hours of use
where as the MBA 13's underside stayed relatively cooler.Read more ›
First, the good stuff...
- The industrial design is absolutely gorgeous and rock-solid. The laptop is thin, light and pleasure to look at.
- Screen is 13" but the resolution is comparable to that of most 15"+ laptops. Perfectly usable for graphic/software development. While Macbook Air uses (supposedly) an inferior TN panel compared to Macbook Pro, I did not find a drastic difference between the two (I also own a 17" Macbook Pro). The Air has slightly smaller viewing angles and perhaps not as good colour reproduction, but the differences are subtle. Also, there's a lot less glare on Air's "glossy" display compared to glossy Macbook Pro.
- Performance is great, in some cases it bests the Quad Core i7 17" Macbook Pro, thanks to its SSD Drive. Startups/shutdowns are super fast and the applications open/close almost instantly. Having said that, do not expect to do any serious gaming on this little guy. The built-in Intel graphics chip has hard time handling even 5 year old games and is actually slower than nVidia chip on the previous generation Air.
- Expect to get about 4-5 hours of mixed use out of "7 hour" battery. That's what I average while doing some Photoshop and web dev work, browsing, listening to music and viewing a few video clips.
Now, the negatives...
Well, it's one negative really, but it is something I find extremely annoying. The laptop gets VERY hot when CPU usage approaches 50% and the fan kicks in full-blast at 6,000+ RPM.
I first noticed the excessive noise when I was transferring my data and applications from the time machine backup upon initial setup.Read more ›
For the past two years or so I've gone through numerous brands/models in an incessant search to find a laptop that was easily portable and had enough horsepower to match or exceed the performance of a solid $500 desktop with enough battery life to last over four hours of real world use. In this time span I've gone through over a dozen laptops or netbooks that were eventually returned, sold, donated to family or friends, modded and repurposed, or are currently sitting collecting dust awaiting a similar fate. A short list of the more memorable laptops/netbooks that I've previously owned/used that I can remember off hand include: HP TM2T(Core 2 Duo); HP TM2T(Core i3), Asus T101MT, MacBook Air (2009), Acer 4820TG, HP Envy 14, HP dv7t Quad Edition, ASUS U36JC, MacBook Pro 13, and two lower cost laptop models made by Gateway and Acer that I won't mention because they really didn't fit the criteria I was looking for when I acquired them.
I can truly say the 2011 MacBook Air 13" is the most satisfied I've been with any laptop I've used. Although I do find some quirks with the 2011 MBA lineup they are passable and this product still deserves a full five stars. I will probably echo some of the same pros and cons that others have stated, but let's move on with my review so I can tell you my impressions of this.
- Weight/Form Factor: I've always considered portability to be important in a laptop but I can't emphasize this enough. If you've never held and used a MacBook Air before you should be impressed by its weight and form factor alone. Mostly anyone could easily hold the 13" MacBook with one hand. It means I can be watching a video and if I need to move to another room in the house and can easily walk with the laptop in one hand.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
came right on time and works perfectly i really couldnt be happier :))Published 11 days ago by Amazon Customer
Its been 4 years I have been using it and still working flawlessly. I liked it.Published 1 month ago by Tushar Ghatol
Computer works perfectly, battery holds charge butt it has some dirt marks.Published 1 month ago by Allan Hiroshi de Araujon Ono
amazing full deals was my seller. everything that I expected was fulfilled and the mac works well....looks great and is performing almost seamlessly. thx a lot afd.Published 1 month ago by jason
Seller shipped within 2 hours of order; it arrived quickly.
Unit was in condition described but did require some light cleanup. Read more
Power connection is terrible, gone through multiple chargers and its an issue with the laptop itself. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Nelson
My school has these laptops, and guess what?!? They ate my dog... Thanks Obama.Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
I wanted to write a quick review for the benefit of web developers who are entertaining getting one of these, and in particular, the 4GB memory version. Read morePublished 3 months ago by D. Miller
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
See the Top Rated Laptops in our Laptop Reviews.