Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 21, 2016
I purchased for my 9th grader to use at home for assignments and his iMovie projects. The laptop definitely exceeded expectations. If I didn't know it was refurbished I would think it was new. We are both more than satisfied with the computer and would buy refurbished again.
review image
on April 7, 2014
I laughed recently when I was told about an outlaw (an in-law's in-law) who read my wife the riot act because we use Apple products. It took me back to the time a number of years ago that I did the same to people who chose Macs over PCs. That was in the days before iPhones and iPads, even before iPods. At the time, it seemed that everybody except a few college students was using machines that ran on windows. I remember bragging about how great my laptop was and what I could do with it.

Fast forward to today, when we use an iMac at home, iPads for a variety of tasks and I carry an iPhone. I have gone through a succession of MacBooks, from a basic MB to a MB Pro that I loved. I had reached the place, however, that I just carried my iPad with me in a nice Zagg case with keyboard. I wasn't sure I would ever carry a laptop again.

My travel got bumped up a bit this year and I found some weakness with my iPad. I'm a touch typist who found that the loss of my bluetooth keyboard or airplanes was more than a small disruption. I was also missing some robust software that just couldn't be matched by the company's IOS app. Therefore, I decided to try out the 11.6-Inch MB Air. Here is what surprised me:

1. This Air is so small and light that I have no problem carrying it and my iPad with a smart cover. The weight gain from this little computer is negligible.
2. My former MB Pro had 8 GB of memory and I was concerned that this one only had 4GB. The updated processor and the SSD drive make the new computer significantly faster.
3. The keyboard is full-size and helps me stay focused on the screen, where my work is taking place.
4. The display itself, though small, is just enough workspace for the word-crunching that I do.

For those who are considering a migration from windows, imagine life without the "blue screen of death." Think about the ease of document management between your laptop and those other i-devices you probably already have. When people ask me today why I love a particular Apple product, I usually say, "It just works!" Try one and see.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2014
I got the upgrade with 8gb memory. This is my go to machine. Its very fast, very user friendly, and can handle many programs running at once. I'm a teacher so my typical day is as follows: MS word, MS excel, Chrome (10 tabs), Safari (5 tabs), evernote, mint.com, iBook,pdf viewer. My husband is a software architect so he has lots of other things open as well. This still out performs all our machine in speed. By the way, this machine NEVER GETS HOT and makes ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE!

I especially wanted a machine that would be easy to use and I don't have time to fix viruses, software glitches, and such. I also don't want to trouble my husband with anything as he is usually very busy. He is looking it that I never bother him at all. As a matter of fact, I think he is considering getting a high powered apple machine because of the ease of use I have with this one.

Our last apple machine was an ibook in 2001 and that was a real disaster and considered never going back to Apple. But Apple has come so far in the last few years.
on February 8, 2014
Not much else to say other than what has already been said about the MBA '13. It's simply a great laptop, and gets tremendous battery life. Windows also runs okay in boot camp, but really requires an external mouse to do anything useful. The trackpad works in Windows, but it's not really a good experience (navigating and especially right-clicking are somewhat unintuitive and cumbersome).

I'd like to point out a couple things that are more particular that others might not have mentioned or that potential buyers might be wondering:
- For coding, it's more than adequate. Running a 10,000 particle custom C++/OpenGL SPH fluid sim, I got about the same performance as a baseline-model Mid-2012 MBP that my coding partner was using. For XCode, I can run the iPhone simulator on my apps and games at the full 60 fps. All this can be attributed to the HD5000 GPU. For raw CPU compute power, it won't be as powerful as a recent MBP and will be comparable to the previous generation MBA, but that's the tradeoff for the 9 hours of battery life.
- For graphic/2D design, it's got enough compute power for pretty much anything, but the screen leaves something to be desired. In a pinch, it works, but you'd be better off with something else as your primary laptop.
- For 3D design / CAD, its got enough compute power for basic objects, but you should try to keep the poly count of the scene/model fairly low, as the HD5000 isn't really intended for such use.
- If you are a user of Lyx, it is very problematic on Mavericks (10.9). I've yet to actually get it working, and other users who seem to have gotten ti working report a lot of error. You'll either have to use Lyx on Linux/Windows, or revert back to writing up in pure Tex/LaTex.
- If you are a Windows user, there are many applications you can get that more closely replicate the Windows experience. The two main ones are KeyRemap4Macbook and Hyperdock. KeyRemap lets you customize your keyboard shortcuts to be the same as Windows (or anything else you want), and Hyperdock gives you taskbar previews and Window snapping like in Win7/8.
on January 4, 2015
I am a tech guy and have been using laptops several years. As most of you, I started with basic models and getting upgrades once a while.

I have used a lot of Operating Systems as well including Windows, Linux, Solaris and of course OS X. I will not talk about the OS this time but the hardware itself.

As a customer oriented, I have to carry out my laptop every day so when looking for a laptop, I have to think in a couple of more things that performance and capacities. I decided to buy this Macbook Air about a year ago due to its lightweight. While having a great processor with turbo boost, enough RAM to run all of my apps, Flash Storage and a great battery life, I decided this was the one I needed.

Previously my first Laptop Apple was a MacBook, the white 2011 model. After entering in Apple ecosystem, I have owned MacBooks Pro thru the years with no complains.

About this particular model, I have to say:

PROS:
- Lightweight rocks. It is about 3 pounds which is perfect if you have to carry everywhere with it, like me.
- Flash Storage make it boot in seconds
- Battery life is phenomenal
- Size is perfect (13inch)
- Apple Care is a must if you plan to keep it for years

CONS:
- Aluminum body gives it a great and stylish look, but is weak. If you don't like to use covers or protectors that change the great appearance of your laptop, you have to be very careful with it. Just touching a strong surface (for example a wall corner) will scarf the edges of this laptop
- RAM capacity (as the specs says) could be up to 8GB which lot of people could find not enough. Same thing with the storage capacity

Overall, I thing this is great for work, light and powerful.
on April 14, 2014
There are so many reviews of this item, another might seem unnecessary but maybe a word would help someone. I had an older Toshiba running windows 7. Like many I was concerned about learning a new Operating System. Not too worry. Within a few hours i was comfortable. This machine is light years ahead of the Toshiba. It took over 4 minutes to boot up the Toshiba. This Mac is ready to go in 15 seconds. The various functions seem designed more with the user in mind. The pad can be used for most functions while surfacing the web using one, two, or three fingers. Battery life is amazing compared with other laptops i have used. I regularly use the Mac for two days, several hours a day before recharging. As I write this, the battery indicator says over 15 hours.
A friend who has had his Mac for several years says going back to windows is like going back to a model T. If you have any reservations about getting a Macbook Air, I say give one a try. 98% of users can't be wrong. Highly recommended!
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 8, 2014
This is my first computer with a solid state hard drive, but it will not be my last. It is so fast, it is absolutely amazing. The newer MacBook Airs are much better than the older versions, the computer handles all of my daily multitasking with ease, and I can also play my video games on it with no issues.
I was not sure if I would be able to go with this because of the graphics, and I play games like Borderlands 2 on Steam. But I've been able to play solo and online with friends with absolutely no issues, and the game looks great.
I cannot stress how fast this is. It can completely reboot in less than 20 seconds. It is not the powerhouse of the MacBook Pro, and no, it doesn't have a huge hard drive, but if you want a great computer that will last for a while, I would highly recommend it.
on March 18, 2015
Battery life is amazing.. I heard upgrading to the new os hurt battery life so I'm sticking with mavericks for now. Standby will last for days and days usage will last one day he with heavy use 2days with moderate use and 3 with light use all at about 50% screen brightness and back-lit keyboard off. The back-lit keyboard really takes a crap on the battery life so try to keep it off when not using it. There is a button for turning back-lit keyboard on and off do this shouldn't be an issue. You can also adjust the settings in mavericks to only turn on the back-lit keyboard when typing.
on June 29, 2014
Like every Mac product that I have every purchased, this s flawless in design and execution. It boots in a snap due to the flash based hard drive and runs applications with the expected speed. Not much more to say on this front, it's a premium product for a premium price.

The real story is in the durability, and on mine that has been put to the test. I have a 2 year old and a 9 year old autistic child that share (using the term very loosely) this MacBook. Mostly it is used to watch "monkey" (Curious George), Barney, god awful videos on YouTube (think hour after hour of Gangnam Style and Annoying Orange) or for learning on the ABC Mouse website (surprisingly effective site). Needless to say, the boys do not ever want to watch the same thing and the same time and a battle begins with the MacBook at ground zero.

Tug, pull, drop on the floor, accidentally tossed, dropped again, pulled on some more... and that is before the first video or activity starts. Rinse, recycle, repeat about 30 times a day, everyday. Add in baby drool, splashes from cups of water, sticky PB&J hands and spaghetti covered fingers, and it is a miracle this thing survives the day. But survived it has... day after day after day. We are 8 months into owning it and it shockingly still runs as good as the day we bought it.

There are plenty of reviews on tech specs and peoples various opinions on the Mac ecosystem, so I am not even going to go down that path. Instead, I want to provide an insight into the quality and durability of the machine. Believe mw when I say, if this thing can stand up to my destructive little spawns then it will surely last for whatever it is that you are using it for. I would recommend this to anyone who A) has children close in age that will wage wars for its use B) is clumsy, prone to spills and drops or has family that fits that description C) Likes reliability and stability and worry free performance (despite aforementioned A and B) and D) you have broken, damaged or otherwise made unusable a computer before because of spills, drops, children, neighbors, extended family, pets, aliens, sea monsters, prophecies of the mayans or dementia.

Last tip, get the Apple Care on it. It's worth its weight in gold the first time that you need to replace the charger, make a repair or simply pick the brains of tech support (that is what we use it for, especially with some of the things that those boys can do to it),

Hopefully this helped and gave you a little different perspective from the other reviews. :)
on December 30, 2013
Finally I overcame my fear of moving away from windows, and there is not a day regretting why I didn't make that decision earlier. Honestly I used to compare prices of windows based laptops like ASUS versus mac and to consider only the hardware specs, but I had totally forgot the true meaning of laptop... then when I considered the mental pressure of the heat boiling up my finger tips and the processor noise tearing up my ears, I discovered the self-abnegation I had long endured for just a couple of dollars less. Long story short, don't get fooled by seemingly similar hardware specs of windows based laptops of much lower price, there is a lot more you can't think of, but when you find something with those unthinkable factors, you know it's the one to stick to forever