BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 24, 2013
(Background: Used-not owned-a last-generation Macbook Pro 15; used an iMac; Generally well-disposed to OSX. Extensive Windows use past and current-plenty of decent long-lasting Dells. No experience with Windows 8.)

I've been looking for a laptop as a teacher for some time, and really balked at the idea of spending over $1000 for a laptop when I could get a decent Windows laptop for about $700. But the Windows laptops were just not compelling at that price. Decent but not compelling. The ones that caught my eye were even with or more expensive than the MacBook Air (Series 9 Samsung/Vaio Pro/Ideapad Yoga). And on top of that, I really wanted a Mac for durability and support reasons as well as that great trackpad. Other features that attracted me were the SSD, the design and portability.

So I bought it.

My advice is that you do the same, because I am pleased.

Impressions:

-Haswell battery life is something else. I only watch the battery meter out of curiousity now. This thing was projecting 2 - 3 hours at 17% charge. I can go to work on a 50% charge and do just fine well into the night when I come home. This means, by the way, that with moderate use (a few hours at a time) this thing lasts two days on one charge quite easily. For this reason alone I recommend the Air.

-I have not heard the fan yet. Granted I do not do heavy lifting, but I have yet to feel this laptop get hot. I couldn't tell you if the fan has ever come on since I've owned it.

-The speakers are quite loud. I was worried about this for no reason.

-I hefted the old model years ago, so I was somehow expecting this to feel lighter than it does in real life. It is light, but I suppose the 11-inch would be more dramatic.

-The screen is no worse than I am used to although Mac fonts need to be a little bigger by default in my opinion.

So my recommendation is a buy. I think it's a decent value when compared to the competition. Shop according to your needs, however, and be happy with your purchase.

(128GB version)
on June 19, 2013
So first I will say I am coming from a MacBook air 11' mid 2011 with 2GB ram and 64GB harddrive. This one I got has 4GB of ram and 128GB harddrive. I use this laptop mainly for browsing the internet and some programming. Now that you have a little background Ill give a quick review.

From the get go this laptop is MUCH faster then my previous Macbook air. When you open the lid you are ready to go that second. On the old one I would have to wait a little for it to load and if I left chrome up and clicked on it right away then I would get the loading wheel. I havent seen this do it once. That could be because of the harddrive being so much faster.

When I opened the box the laptop was already charged to 91% so im trying to kill it. Well I was on it ALL NIGHT last night and now its the morning and its only at 60%. That battery life is amazing and let me honest thats what we ask for in a laptop.

If you are up in the air about this laptop(no pun intended). I would say give it a go. You could even buy it from the Apple store and if you dont like it just return it.

If you are replacing an older Macbook air and have one thats because the mid 2012 then I would say get it but if you have the mid 2012 I dont know if I would suggest spending the money unless you really want battery. I hope this helps anyone trying to purchase this laptop.

I am not an Apple fan boy. My desktop is a custom build Window machine so I know both worlds. Please if you have any questions just comment and I will be happy to try things for you or just answer questions.

I am a Computer Engineer so im use to testing things so feel free to ask.
(This is my first review)
5150+ comments| 641 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2015
Best laptop ever. So light and fast. I've been using mine for 2 years and it still looks and works like brand new. Battery still lasts over 10 hours. I multitask like crazy including multiple browsers and video/photo editing, this handles it with no problems ever. Extensive traveling the whole time and not a scratch. I'll be upgrading to the newest version from Apple with 8gb ram and the core i7 purely for video editing reasons, otherwise this laptop would easily last another 2 years as is. Fan only comes on after editing video for a while otherwise it's completely silent. I would give this laptop 6 stars if I could because it's worth every penny.
on April 8, 2014
This is my first computer with a solid state hard drive, but it will not be my last. It is so fast, it is absolutely amazing. The newer MacBook Airs are much better than the older versions, the computer handles all of my daily multitasking with ease, and I can also play my video games on it with no issues.
I was not sure if I would be able to go with this because of the graphics, and I play games like Borderlands 2 on Steam. But I've been able to play solo and online with friends with absolutely no issues, and the game looks great.
I cannot stress how fast this is. It can completely reboot in less than 20 seconds. It is not the powerhouse of the MacBook Pro, and no, it doesn't have a huge hard drive, but if you want a great computer that will last for a while, I would highly recommend it.
on June 2, 2014
As a convert from PC's, I can't say enough about how wonderful Mac's are. They work flawlessly and the customer service and technical support are exceptional. I have literally five PC laptops, all from the same manufacturer - a well known brand. And while I would buy another one from this manufacturer if I was to ever get another PC, there is no way I could ever do that to myself or my clients. Why?

1. Mac's boot up quickly and consistently. I had a one year old PC laptop in great condition. From the time I booted up the computer to the time the document loaded into my email, 7 minutes passed! On my Mac, it's about 30 seconds, even the one that's over a year old. No issues over time.

2. Battery life - PC battery life is about 2 hours maximum. I get 3 times that and more from my Mac, even one that I've had for over a year.

3. Support - got a problem, take it to the Apple Store. I had an issue with the new one. Took it in and within 8 hours it was diagnosed, fixed, and back in my hands for free.

4. Impressive - the impression people get when they see me pull out my Mac is that I mean business, I've stepped up my game, and that I can get the job done.

The other day, my wife was complaining about how slow her PC was after a year of ownership. She was trying to place an order online and couldn't. I gave her my Mac to try; within 2 minutes, she had the order completed. It was her computer, not the website.

So, if you want a computer that is problem free, impressive, and just simply works, get a Mac. If you don't have enough stress in your life and have plenty of time to sit and wait, then get a PC.
on November 20, 2013
Another perfect laptop in the Macbook Air line. It's my 4th Mac laptop and best yet. The illuminated keyboard wasn't on my 2009 Air and man, did I miss not having it. Other speed and port enhancements make the Air the finest laptop computer going, be it for home, work, travel or school. With DVD and CD's on the way out there seems no call to lug the added bulk an optical drive adds.

Note: I bought a Square Trade Warrantee this time around instead of Applecare; hopefully I won't need it, but Applecare is overpriced in my view. It's been helpful for my Mac Pro's, but for a portable product, the Square Trade deal covers possible disasters Applecare omits.
on April 14, 2014
I don't usually write reviews, but after owning this laptop for a bit over 6 months I felt compelled to give it the glowing review it deserves. This is simply a fantastic machine.

Pros:
Speed! With the SSD, everything is so snappy and waking up the laptop is virtually instantaneous.
Trackpad is second to none. Make sure to configure custom gestures for common tasks.
Battery life is absurdly long under normal use conditions. After 6 months I'm still getting 8+ hours per charge.
Great looking screen with high brightness.
Lightweight while still feeling really solid & sturdy.
OS X is a pro for me.

Cons:
Bigger SSD is unjustifiably pricey.
Speakers are just okay.
on December 30, 2013
Finally I overcame my fear of moving away from windows, and there is not a day regretting why I didn't make that decision earlier. Honestly I used to compare prices of windows based laptops like ASUS versus mac and to consider only the hardware specs, but I had totally forgot the true meaning of laptop... then when I considered the mental pressure of the heat boiling up my finger tips and the processor noise tearing up my ears, I discovered the self-abnegation I had long endured for just a couple of dollars less. Long story short, don't get fooled by seemingly similar hardware specs of windows based laptops of much lower price, there is a lot more you can't think of, but when you find something with those unthinkable factors, you know it's the one to stick to forever
on January 20, 2014
Not only does this computer feel well built, the battery lasts as long as an iPad. I am amazed how I only have to charge it once a week for normal browsing.

If you are stuck on picking between a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, just ask yourself if you really ever watch physical DVDs anymore...it's not worth it.

Computer boots in around 11 seconds, the flash hard drive is killer fast. Some may say the 128 GB is small, however I no longer really keep stuff on my hard drive due to iTunes Match and iCloud, and you can always insert a large SD card for additional storage.

In regards to the 4 GB of RAM, think about the fact that the computer has a solid state hard drive, which it uses for virtual memory. 4 GB RAM may not sound like much, but having a wicked fast solid state drive for virtual memory will not make it feel like a Mac Mini with 4 GB RAM. I have 16 GB in my Mac Mini and my MacBook Air is faster.
on October 21, 2015
Purchased July/2013 and it is now dead. Won't power on. Quoted $500 to $900 to fix. Been cared meticulously with no drops or spills but just wouldn't power up one morning. A load of crap computer that didn't even last 2 years. Would not recommend and my family will never purchase Apple products for as long as we live after this devastating experience!!!!