Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 503 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 634 reviews
on December 21, 2016
I purchased for my 9th grader to use at home for assignments and his iMovie projects. The laptop definitely exceeded expectations. If I didn't know it was refurbished I would think it was new. We are both more than satisfied with the computer and would buy refurbished again.
review image
on April 7, 2014
I laughed recently when I was told about an outlaw (an in-law's in-law) who read my wife the riot act because we use Apple products. It took me back to the time a number of years ago that I did the same to people who chose Macs over PCs. That was in the days before iPhones and iPads, even before iPods. At the time, it seemed that everybody except a few college students was using machines that ran on windows. I remember bragging about how great my laptop was and what I could do with it.

Fast forward to today, when we use an iMac at home, iPads for a variety of tasks and I carry an iPhone. I have gone through a succession of MacBooks, from a basic MB to a MB Pro that I loved. I had reached the place, however, that I just carried my iPad with me in a nice Zagg case with keyboard. I wasn't sure I would ever carry a laptop again.

My travel got bumped up a bit this year and I found some weakness with my iPad. I'm a touch typist who found that the loss of my bluetooth keyboard or airplanes was more than a small disruption. I was also missing some robust software that just couldn't be matched by the company's IOS app. Therefore, I decided to try out the 11.6-Inch MB Air. Here is what surprised me:

1. This Air is so small and light that I have no problem carrying it and my iPad with a smart cover. The weight gain from this little computer is negligible.
2. My former MB Pro had 8 GB of memory and I was concerned that this one only had 4GB. The updated processor and the SSD drive make the new computer significantly faster.
3. The keyboard is full-size and helps me stay focused on the screen, where my work is taking place.
4. The display itself, though small, is just enough workspace for the word-crunching that I do.

For those who are considering a migration from windows, imagine life without the "blue screen of death." Think about the ease of document management between your laptop and those other i-devices you probably already have. When people ask me today why I love a particular Apple product, I usually say, "It just works!" Try one and see.
on June 19, 2013
So first I will say I am coming from a MacBook air 11' mid 2011 with 2GB ram and 64GB harddrive. This one I got has 4GB of ram and 128GB harddrive. I use this laptop mainly for browsing the internet and some programming. Now that you have a little background Ill give a quick review.

From the get go this laptop is MUCH faster then my previous Macbook air. When you open the lid you are ready to go that second. On the old one I would have to wait a little for it to load and if I left chrome up and clicked on it right away then I would get the loading wheel. I havent seen this do it once. That could be because of the harddrive being so much faster.

When I opened the box the laptop was already charged to 91% so im trying to kill it. Well I was on it ALL NIGHT last night and now its the morning and its only at 60%. That battery life is amazing and let me honest thats what we ask for in a laptop.

If you are up in the air about this laptop(no pun intended). I would say give it a go. You could even buy it from the Apple store and if you dont like it just return it.

If you are replacing an older Macbook air and have one thats because the mid 2012 then I would say get it but if you have the mid 2012 I dont know if I would suggest spending the money unless you really want battery. I hope this helps anyone trying to purchase this laptop.

I am not an Apple fan boy. My desktop is a custom build Window machine so I know both worlds. Please if you have any questions just comment and I will be happy to try things for you or just answer questions.

I am a Computer Engineer so im use to testing things so feel free to ask.
(This is my first review)
5150+ comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2014
I got the upgrade with 8gb memory. This is my go to machine. Its very fast, very user friendly, and can handle many programs running at once. I'm a teacher so my typical day is as follows: MS word, MS excel, Chrome (10 tabs), Safari (5 tabs), evernote, mint.com, iBook,pdf viewer. My husband is a software architect so he has lots of other things open as well. This still out performs all our machine in speed. By the way, this machine NEVER GETS HOT and makes ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE!

I especially wanted a machine that would be easy to use and I don't have time to fix viruses, software glitches, and such. I also don't want to trouble my husband with anything as he is usually very busy. He is looking it that I never bother him at all. As a matter of fact, I think he is considering getting a high powered apple machine because of the ease of use I have with this one.

Our last apple machine was an ibook in 2001 and that was a real disaster and considered never going back to Apple. But Apple has come so far in the last few years.
on February 15, 2017
Great product and just as nice as the 13", however, it is much smaller than I thought the two inches could be. The reviews made it seem like just loosing out on a little screen and the keyboard and the rest about the same. If you want tiny and functional, this is the one, however, if you would like decent sized and usable, but still small, go 13"
on November 17, 2013
Perfect machine except for a couple of things:

-sleep/wake failure: sometimes that screen dims and then immediately sleeps while the backlit keyboard and hard drive/sound/network card are still active and the only way to use the display again would be to force a restart. a search on google would show that MANY people who have bought the 2013 MBA have this problem ("black screen of death"). I still have not found a fix and I would assume that if I brought in my MBA to an apple store, they'd replace it for free. it does not happen often enough to force me to replace my machine though. I might do it in the future

-it is so thin that the end of the machine feel sharp and if you aren't using the laptop on a desk, they will jab into your wrists and it will be painful. i guess i got used to it.
on June 29, 2014
Like every Mac product that I have every purchased, this s flawless in design and execution. It boots in a snap due to the flash based hard drive and runs applications with the expected speed. Not much more to say on this front, it's a premium product for a premium price.

The real story is in the durability, and on mine that has been put to the test. I have a 2 year old and a 9 year old autistic child that share (using the term very loosely) this MacBook. Mostly it is used to watch "monkey" (Curious George), Barney, god awful videos on YouTube (think hour after hour of Gangnam Style and Annoying Orange) or for learning on the ABC Mouse website (surprisingly effective site). Needless to say, the boys do not ever want to watch the same thing and the same time and a battle begins with the MacBook at ground zero.

Tug, pull, drop on the floor, accidentally tossed, dropped again, pulled on some more... and that is before the first video or activity starts. Rinse, recycle, repeat about 30 times a day, everyday. Add in baby drool, splashes from cups of water, sticky PB&J hands and spaghetti covered fingers, and it is a miracle this thing survives the day. But survived it has... day after day after day. We are 8 months into owning it and it shockingly still runs as good as the day we bought it.

There are plenty of reviews on tech specs and peoples various opinions on the Mac ecosystem, so I am not even going to go down that path. Instead, I want to provide an insight into the quality and durability of the machine. Believe mw when I say, if this thing can stand up to my destructive little spawns then it will surely last for whatever it is that you are using it for. I would recommend this to anyone who A) has children close in age that will wage wars for its use B) is clumsy, prone to spills and drops or has family that fits that description C) Likes reliability and stability and worry free performance (despite aforementioned A and B) and D) you have broken, damaged or otherwise made unusable a computer before because of spills, drops, children, neighbors, extended family, pets, aliens, sea monsters, prophecies of the mayans or dementia.

Last tip, get the Apple Care on it. It's worth its weight in gold the first time that you need to replace the charger, make a repair or simply pick the brains of tech support (that is what we use it for, especially with some of the things that those boys can do to it),

Hopefully this helped and gave you a little different perspective from the other reviews. :)
on September 24, 2013
(Background: Used-not owned-a last-generation Macbook Pro 15; used an iMac; Generally well-disposed to OSX. Extensive Windows use past and current-plenty of decent long-lasting Dells. No experience with Windows 8.)

I've been looking for a laptop as a teacher for some time, and really balked at the idea of spending over $1000 for a laptop when I could get a decent Windows laptop for about $700. But the Windows laptops were just not compelling at that price. Decent but not compelling. The ones that caught my eye were even with or more expensive than the MacBook Air (Series 9 Samsung/Vaio Pro/Ideapad Yoga). And on top of that, I really wanted a Mac for durability and support reasons as well as that great trackpad. Other features that attracted me were the SSD, the design and portability.

So I bought it.

My advice is that you do the same, because I am pleased.

Impressions:

-Haswell battery life is something else. I only watch the battery meter out of curiousity now. This thing was projecting 2 - 3 hours at 17% charge. I can go to work on a 50% charge and do just fine well into the night when I come home. This means, by the way, that with moderate use (a few hours at a time) this thing lasts two days on one charge quite easily. For this reason alone I recommend the Air.

-I have not heard the fan yet. Granted I do not do heavy lifting, but I have yet to feel this laptop get hot. I couldn't tell you if the fan has ever come on since I've owned it.

-The speakers are quite loud. I was worried about this for no reason.

-I hefted the old model years ago, so I was somehow expecting this to feel lighter than it does in real life. It is light, but I suppose the 11-inch would be more dramatic.

-The screen is no worse than I am used to although Mac fonts need to be a little bigger by default in my opinion.

So my recommendation is a buy. I think it's a decent value when compared to the competition. Shop according to your needs, however, and be happy with your purchase.

(128GB version)
on February 8, 2014
Not much else to say other than what has already been said about the MBA '13. It's simply a great laptop, and gets tremendous battery life. Windows also runs okay in boot camp, but really requires an external mouse to do anything useful. The trackpad works in Windows, but it's not really a good experience (navigating and especially right-clicking are somewhat unintuitive and cumbersome).

I'd like to point out a couple things that are more particular that others might not have mentioned or that potential buyers might be wondering:
- For coding, it's more than adequate. Running a 10,000 particle custom C++/OpenGL SPH fluid sim, I got about the same performance as a baseline-model Mid-2012 MBP that my coding partner was using. For XCode, I can run the iPhone simulator on my apps and games at the full 60 fps. All this can be attributed to the HD5000 GPU. For raw CPU compute power, it won't be as powerful as a recent MBP and will be comparable to the previous generation MBA, but that's the tradeoff for the 9 hours of battery life.
- For graphic/2D design, it's got enough compute power for pretty much anything, but the screen leaves something to be desired. In a pinch, it works, but you'd be better off with something else as your primary laptop.
- For 3D design / CAD, its got enough compute power for basic objects, but you should try to keep the poly count of the scene/model fairly low, as the HD5000 isn't really intended for such use.
- If you are a user of Lyx, it is very problematic on Mavericks (10.9). I've yet to actually get it working, and other users who seem to have gotten ti working report a lot of error. You'll either have to use Lyx on Linux/Windows, or revert back to writing up in pure Tex/LaTex.
- If you are a Windows user, there are many applications you can get that more closely replicate the Windows experience. The two main ones are KeyRemap4Macbook and Hyperdock. KeyRemap lets you customize your keyboard shortcuts to be the same as Windows (or anything else you want), and Hyperdock gives you taskbar previews and Window snapping like in Win7/8.
on April 14, 2014
There are so many reviews of this item, another might seem unnecessary but maybe a word would help someone. I had an older Toshiba running windows 7. Like many I was concerned about learning a new Operating System. Not too worry. Within a few hours i was comfortable. This machine is light years ahead of the Toshiba. It took over 4 minutes to boot up the Toshiba. This Mac is ready to go in 15 seconds. The various functions seem designed more with the user in mind. The pad can be used for most functions while surfacing the web using one, two, or three fingers. Battery life is amazing compared with other laptops i have used. I regularly use the Mac for two days, several hours a day before recharging. As I write this, the battery indicator says over 15 hours.
A friend who has had his Mac for several years says going back to windows is like going back to a model T. If you have any reservations about getting a Macbook Air, I say give one a try. 98% of users can't be wrong. Highly recommended!