Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 514 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 645 reviews
on September 24, 2013
(Background: Used-not owned-a last-generation Macbook Pro 15; used an iMac; Generally well-disposed to OSX. Extensive Windows use past and current-plenty of decent long-lasting Dells. No experience with Windows 8.)

I've been looking for a laptop as a teacher for some time, and really balked at the idea of spending over $1000 for a laptop when I could get a decent Windows laptop for about $700. But the Windows laptops were just not compelling at that price. Decent but not compelling. The ones that caught my eye were even with or more expensive than the MacBook Air (Series 9 Samsung/Vaio Pro/Ideapad Yoga). And on top of that, I really wanted a Mac for durability and support reasons as well as that great trackpad. Other features that attracted me were the SSD, the design and portability.

So I bought it.

My advice is that you do the same, because I am pleased.

Impressions:

-Haswell battery life is something else. I only watch the battery meter out of curiousity now. This thing was projecting 2 - 3 hours at 17% charge. I can go to work on a 50% charge and do just fine well into the night when I come home. This means, by the way, that with moderate use (a few hours at a time) this thing lasts two days on one charge quite easily. For this reason alone I recommend the Air.

-I have not heard the fan yet. Granted I do not do heavy lifting, but I have yet to feel this laptop get hot. I couldn't tell you if the fan has ever come on since I've owned it.

-The speakers are quite loud. I was worried about this for no reason.

-I hefted the old model years ago, so I was somehow expecting this to feel lighter than it does in real life. It is light, but I suppose the 11-inch would be more dramatic.

-The screen is no worse than I am used to although Mac fonts need to be a little bigger by default in my opinion.

So my recommendation is a buy. I think it's a decent value when compared to the competition. Shop according to your needs, however, and be happy with your purchase.

(128GB version)
on September 12, 2015
Best laptop ever. So light and fast. I've been using mine for 2 years and it still looks and works like brand new. Battery still lasts over 10 hours. I multitask like crazy including multiple browsers and video/photo editing, this handles it with no problems ever. Extensive traveling the whole time and not a scratch. I'll be upgrading to the newest version from Apple with 8gb ram and the core i7 purely for video editing reasons, otherwise this laptop would easily last another 2 years as is. Fan only comes on after editing video for a while otherwise it's completely silent. I would give this laptop 6 stars if I could because it's worth every penny.
on January 1, 2014
10+ hours of battery life.

You could say just about anything else you wanted to about this computer and it still wouldn't be as important to me as the 10+ hours of battery life I get every day. No more taking a charger in my bag. No more looking for the seat near an outlet at Starbucks. Who needs it? Charge it over night and you'll have all the power you need for the next day.

Of course, it's great that the computer is so thin and light, relatively powerful (only slows down for me in Photoshop Lightroom) and completely quiet (except, again, when using lightroom or watching long stretches of HD video).

It really is an excellent machine, it's worth every penny and, just to be clear, the battery lasts for more than 10 hours of real-world use.
on March 10, 2017
Wonderful laptop! This was a gift for my grandson and he just loves it. He is very happy with it and has nothing but good things to say about it. It did arrived in great shape and on the date that it was promised for delivery.
on March 20, 2014
Everything I could want in a computer. Great battery life, great keyboard, easy to use - it's nearly flawless. I think my single complaint is the bulk of the charger and the fact that the battery lasts so long that I tend to misplace the charger because it's needed so infrequently.

This was also my first Mac - a big switch for a long time PC user. Not sure I'll ever go back to slow loads and bulky computers that are slammed together with inconsistent manufacturing standards. This is a work of art that is also a great computer.
on April 8, 2014
This is my first computer with a solid state hard drive, but it will not be my last. It is so fast, it is absolutely amazing. The newer MacBook Airs are much better than the older versions, the computer handles all of my daily multitasking with ease, and I can also play my video games on it with no issues.
I was not sure if I would be able to go with this because of the graphics, and I play games like Borderlands 2 on Steam. But I've been able to play solo and online with friends with absolutely no issues, and the game looks great.
I cannot stress how fast this is. It can completely reboot in less than 20 seconds. It is not the powerhouse of the MacBook Pro, and no, it doesn't have a huge hard drive, but if you want a great computer that will last for a while, I would highly recommend it.
on March 20, 2017
Received my computer and it worked great for the first two days, but began to freeze up and not even turn on at some points. Went to Apple Store for answers and they informed me that the whole RAM was fried and that they recommended buying a new computer because it would be $500 for the parts and labor for a new hard drive.
on April 11, 2014
I've had Dell and HP computers before buying the MacBook Air. The HP laptop literally fell apart in 15 months and their support would not fix the problem although obviously a manufacturing defect. It was difficult for me to justify spending extra money for an Apple, but have absolutely no regrets. Should have done it much sooner.

I am not a techy and do not understand all the internal greatness of these machines, but know from Apple's reputation and family and friends that have them that they have been pleased with the laptop and service Apple offers. In my unprofessional opinion, this Mac is awesome - lightweight, easy to use, everything I want/need and more. Buying through Amazon was quick, easy, AND I saved money! Don't hesitate - buy it!!!
on February 24, 2014
This computer is the second favorite gadget I've ever owned behind my first iPod Touch. There's just a novelty and a fondness to everything that I could do with that little iPod that I'll not soon forget. With that, this little laptop is more capable than any other computer that I have ever owned. It only weighs about a half a pound more than an iPad 2 and gets 2 more hours on a charge (12 hours) thanks to the Haswell processor that was introduced with the mid-2013 update. This is also my very first Mac and it couldn't be a better choice. I can't say enough about this machine!
on September 19, 2014
Everybody has probably heard this argument 100's of times. Mac is better than PC or PC is better than mac. For the first 18 years of my life I used a PC, windows, like most other people. Along this time I kind of got used to the crashes and freezes, as if it's something normal. Well, luckily I found this. Lets put it this way. Mac spoils you. No 10 minute boot up, no error messages, no viruses, comes equipped with extremely helpful apps, the glass mouse pad has multiple finger gestures to make your experience that much better. I was between this and the retina display, and if you aren't accustomed to retina, the air still has a superior display to most other laptops. Of course the retina is nice, but if you're not doing photo editing or watch a lot of movies you're probably wasting your money. I am currently a Nuclear Engineering student in college and I couldn't have asked for more from this laptop. Oh and by the way, I picked to standard shipping and got it in 2 days, so an overall wonderful experience.