Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 21, 2016
I purchased for my 9th grader to use at home for assignments and his iMovie projects. The laptop definitely exceeded expectations. If I didn't know it was refurbished I would think it was new. We are both more than satisfied with the computer and would buy refurbished again.
review image
18 people found this helpful
on April 7, 2014
I laughed recently when I was told about an outlaw (an in-law's in-law) who read my wife the riot act because we use Apple products. It took me back to the time a number of years ago that I did the same to people who chose Macs over PCs. That was in the days before iPhones and iPads, even before iPods. At the time, it seemed that everybody except a few college students was using machines that ran on windows. I remember bragging about how great my laptop was and what I could do with it.

Fast forward to today, when we use an iMac at home, iPads for a variety of tasks and I carry an iPhone. I have gone through a succession of MacBooks, from a basic MB to a MB Pro that I loved. I had reached the place, however, that I just carried my iPad with me in a nice Zagg case with keyboard. I wasn't sure I would ever carry a laptop again.

My travel got bumped up a bit this year and I found some weakness with my iPad. I'm a touch typist who found that the loss of my bluetooth keyboard or airplanes was more than a small disruption. I was also missing some robust software that just couldn't be matched by the company's IOS app. Therefore, I decided to try out the 11.6-Inch MB Air. Here is what surprised me:

1. This Air is so small and light that I have no problem carrying it and my iPad with a smart cover. The weight gain from this little computer is negligible.
2. My former MB Pro had 8 GB of memory and I was concerned that this one only had 4GB. The updated processor and the SSD drive make the new computer significantly faster.
3. The keyboard is full-size and helps me stay focused on the screen, where my work is taking place.
4. The display itself, though small, is just enough workspace for the word-crunching that I do.

For those who are considering a migration from windows, imagine life without the "blue screen of death." Think about the ease of document management between your laptop and those other i-devices you probably already have. When people ask me today why I love a particular Apple product, I usually say, "It just works!" Try one and see.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 16, 2014
I got the upgrade with 8gb memory. This is my go to machine. Its very fast, very user friendly, and can handle many programs running at once. I'm a teacher so my typical day is as follows: MS word, MS excel, Chrome (10 tabs), Safari (5 tabs), evernote, mint.com, iBook,pdf viewer. My husband is a software architect so he has lots of other things open as well. This still out performs all our machine in speed. By the way, this machine NEVER GETS HOT and makes ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE!

I especially wanted a machine that would be easy to use and I don't have time to fix viruses, software glitches, and such. I also don't want to trouble my husband with anything as he is usually very busy. He is looking it that I never bother him at all. As a matter of fact, I think he is considering getting a high powered apple machine because of the ease of use I have with this one.

Our last apple machine was an ibook in 2001 and that was a real disaster and considered never going back to Apple. But Apple has come so far in the last few years.
8 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2014
Not much else to say other than what has already been said about the MBA '13. It's simply a great laptop, and gets tremendous battery life. Windows also runs okay in boot camp, but really requires an external mouse to do anything useful. The trackpad works in Windows, but it's not really a good experience (navigating and especially right-clicking are somewhat unintuitive and cumbersome).

I'd like to point out a couple things that are more particular that others might not have mentioned or that potential buyers might be wondering:
- For coding, it's more than adequate. Running a 10,000 particle custom C++/OpenGL SPH fluid sim, I got about the same performance as a baseline-model Mid-2012 MBP that my coding partner was using. For XCode, I can run the iPhone simulator on my apps and games at the full 60 fps. All this can be attributed to the HD5000 GPU. For raw CPU compute power, it won't be as powerful as a recent MBP and will be comparable to the previous generation MBA, but that's the tradeoff for the 9 hours of battery life.
- For graphic/2D design, it's got enough compute power for pretty much anything, but the screen leaves something to be desired. In a pinch, it works, but you'd be better off with something else as your primary laptop.
- For 3D design / CAD, its got enough compute power for basic objects, but you should try to keep the poly count of the scene/model fairly low, as the HD5000 isn't really intended for such use.
- If you are a user of Lyx, it is very problematic on Mavericks (10.9). I've yet to actually get it working, and other users who seem to have gotten ti working report a lot of error. You'll either have to use Lyx on Linux/Windows, or revert back to writing up in pure Tex/LaTex.
- If you are a Windows user, there are many applications you can get that more closely replicate the Windows experience. The two main ones are KeyRemap4Macbook and Hyperdock. KeyRemap lets you customize your keyboard shortcuts to be the same as Windows (or anything else you want), and Hyperdock gives you taskbar previews and Window snapping like in Win7/8.
6 people found this helpful
on February 15, 2017
Great product and just as nice as the 13", however, it is much smaller than I thought the two inches could be. The reviews made it seem like just loosing out on a little screen and the keyboard and the rest about the same. If you want tiny and functional, this is the one, however, if you would like decent sized and usable, but still small, go 13"
on January 4, 2015
I am a tech guy and have been using laptops several years. As most of you, I started with basic models and getting upgrades once a while.

I have used a lot of Operating Systems as well including Windows, Linux, Solaris and of course OS X. I will not talk about the OS this time but the hardware itself.

As a customer oriented, I have to carry out my laptop every day so when looking for a laptop, I have to think in a couple of more things that performance and capacities. I decided to buy this Macbook Air about a year ago due to its lightweight. While having a great processor with turbo boost, enough RAM to run all of my apps, Flash Storage and a great battery life, I decided this was the one I needed.

Previously my first Laptop Apple was a MacBook, the white 2011 model. After entering in Apple ecosystem, I have owned MacBooks Pro thru the years with no complains.

About this particular model, I have to say:

PROS:
- Lightweight rocks. It is about 3 pounds which is perfect if you have to carry everywhere with it, like me.
- Flash Storage make it boot in seconds
- Battery life is phenomenal
- Size is perfect (13inch)
- Apple Care is a must if you plan to keep it for years

CONS:
- Aluminum body gives it a great and stylish look, but is weak. If you don't like to use covers or protectors that change the great appearance of your laptop, you have to be very careful with it. Just touching a strong surface (for example a wall corner) will scarf the edges of this laptop
- RAM capacity (as the specs says) could be up to 8GB which lot of people could find not enough. Same thing with the storage capacity

Overall, I thing this is great for work, light and powerful.
3 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2014
10+ hours of battery life.

You could say just about anything else you wanted to about this computer and it still wouldn't be as important to me as the 10+ hours of battery life I get every day. No more taking a charger in my bag. No more looking for the seat near an outlet at Starbucks. Who needs it? Charge it over night and you'll have all the power you need for the next day.

Of course, it's great that the computer is so thin and light, relatively powerful (only slows down for me in Photoshop Lightroom) and completely quiet (except, again, when using lightroom or watching long stretches of HD video).

It really is an excellent machine, it's worth every penny and, just to be clear, the battery lasts for more than 10 hours of real-world use.
6 people found this helpful
on April 14, 2014
There are so many reviews of this item, another might seem unnecessary but maybe a word would help someone. I had an older Toshiba running windows 7. Like many I was concerned about learning a new Operating System. Not too worry. Within a few hours i was comfortable. This machine is light years ahead of the Toshiba. It took over 4 minutes to boot up the Toshiba. This Mac is ready to go in 15 seconds. The various functions seem designed more with the user in mind. The pad can be used for most functions while surfacing the web using one, two, or three fingers. Battery life is amazing compared with other laptops i have used. I regularly use the Mac for two days, several hours a day before recharging. As I write this, the battery indicator says over 15 hours.
A friend who has had his Mac for several years says going back to windows is like going back to a model T. If you have any reservations about getting a Macbook Air, I say give one a try. 98% of users can't be wrong. Highly recommended!
|22 comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2013
This latest iteration of the MacBook Air is very speedy. At least double that of my mid-2011 model. Other than that, the form factor is the same and the screen is of the same clarity, brightness, and quality. I have not seen a great improvement in battery life compared to my 2011 model either; it has been lasting about 8 hours with normal use, and about 6 when running Parallels (with Windows 7) or working with pictures. So maybe not worth an upgrade just yet if your MBA is 2011 or newer, but a highly recommended laptop otherwise. I am the only MBA user out of a company of a few hundred, and my MBA has lasted longer and remains faster than the stock PCs we buy. Using Parallels (and Windows 7), I am as able as any of them to use Windows applications as needed. 100% compatibility with our network and others so far! I sure wish Macs would get a little more traction. Apple laptops like the MBA are truly innovative, user friendly, and quality-built. If you are new to Macs, the MBA is a great place to jump in.
3 people found this helpful
on April 8, 2014
This is my first computer with a solid state hard drive, but it will not be my last. It is so fast, it is absolutely amazing. The newer MacBook Airs are much better than the older versions, the computer handles all of my daily multitasking with ease, and I can also play my video games on it with no issues.
I was not sure if I would be able to go with this because of the graphics, and I play games like Borderlands 2 on Steam. But I've been able to play solo and online with friends with absolutely no issues, and the game looks great.
I cannot stress how fast this is. It can completely reboot in less than 20 seconds. It is not the powerhouse of the MacBook Pro, and no, it doesn't have a huge hard drive, but if you want a great computer that will last for a while, I would highly recommend it.