YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 160 reviews
on April 11, 2014
Save a few dollars and buy from Amazon! This laptop is top-of-the-line with 15" Retina display, 512GB PCI-Express Flash drive, 16GB RAM, etc. Ordered from Amazon and received a few days later. Saved a Benjamin versus Apple online store. Apple products are very impressive. Much higher quality than Dell and other commodity Wintel vendors. If you're looking for something comparable in terms of product design, but don't want to go Apple, the next option is Samsung. Sammy laptops, tablets and phones are on-par with Apple, while the software is Windows and Android versus Apple Mac OS X & iOS.

This laptop can run both Mac OS X and Windows (and/or Linux), as it has an Intel CPU. Running Parallels virtualization product now to allow running Windows in a VM alongside Mac OS X, best of both worlds. VMware Fusion and Virtual Box are also available options to run VMs on the Mac, or use Bootcamp to dual-boot between Windows and Mac OS X.

Given the crazy state of cyber security breaches for Windows, recommend moving to Mac OS X, and use a VM to browse the Internet, etc. Reset the VM on a regular basis, ensuring no malware remains present. Don't trust anti-virus and other security products to keep the enemy out.
on January 15, 2014
I stayed away from the MacBooks for years, because they seemed to be overpriced inferior laptops to me. When the Retina version of this laptop came out, the MacBook finally had something the competitors didn't have - the most gorgeous screen I have ever seen on a laptop.

Something that wasn't clear to me before purchase is how light and thin this laptop is compared to similarly equipped laptops. The thickness of this laptop is amazing. It's thinner than my 4th Generation Ipad in a leather case. Albeit, a little bit heavier.

You'll definitely want a lap desk if you use this thing on your lap to watch video or play games, because it gets VERY hot. This is to be expected because of all the high end hardware squeezed into this. It's more of a desktop replacement laptop, in the form factor of a travel friendly laptop.
on November 3, 2013
This thing is a solid performing development powerhouse, for example a project that used to take a few minutes to build on my old 2010 macbook pro, now builds in seconds. The screen is brilliant and provides plenty of desktop space for actually using serious software like XCode or Photoshop to their full. On the flip side install windows on a boot camp partition and you have one of, if not the most powerful portable steam boxes in the market.
on March 6, 2014
Cannot say enough about this laptop. After using WIndows for 15+ years, the switch to Mac has been night & day x100. I cannot overstate how this laptop is far superior to a Windows product in every sense of the word. Small example:

How often my machines freeze:
With Windows - With only 5 tabs open in Internet Explorer
With Mac - With ALL MS office programs open, Adobe cs6, Firefox with 11 tabs, Calender, Itunes, & Facetime - & guess what, it STILL doesnt freeze then - I have not been able to make it freeze on me

In short, the absolute best $2490 you can spend... you get the fastest hard drive on the market, one of the best CPU's on the market, and the QUICKEST machine on the market, with the most BRILLIANT display on the market. It's a no-brainer. I would never, ever even remotely consider going back to anything WIndows.

Once again, I cannot say enough about this machine.... Absolutely the best, and smartest $2490 Ive ever spent

Also, since buying this machine, I'm able to do so much more with searching for work, doing necessary research for college, and skyping for job interviews out of state - with absolutely no problems. This laptop isn't just a fancy piece of equipment that's fast - it's a time multiplier because it paves the way fro any person or small business to increased it's productivity exponentially. Would buy again in a heartbeat.
on April 30, 2014
The screen is crisp and brilliant. This cannot be overstated. The screen is amazing.
The computer boots up instantly and all the apps start instantly.

I am the owner of an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I upgraded from it because launching apps was slow. I was always staring at the spinning beach ball cursor while the machine worked.

The iPad, MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro can be considered comfortably portable. You can say that you "tote" those devices. This 15-inch model cannot be comfortably "toted". You have to carry/lug this around. This is a desktop replacement laptop. This is not emphasized enough in the reviews. Do not get this if you are a road warrior.

I have seen a lot of reviews stating that you should not get this high end MacBook Pro model unless you are editing movies or only if you need its awesome power. The price is brutally expensive. That said, this model is the only one with a discrete GPU and I felt that it was the only model that I would fully enjoy because I am a PC gamer when I am not coding. If you think the same way then go ahead and purchase this because you will definitely enjoy working and gaming on this laptop for at least five years.

EDIT: 5/1/2014
You CAN comfortably carry it. I was wrong about the weight; it's light. It just looks like you're carrying a dinner tray under your arm because of the width of the laptop.
on May 30, 2014
I know the headline sounds fanboyish, but what can you say? If you've owned a Mac before, you know what to expect. If you never have owned one, let me tell you. From the packaging to the construction of every last part of the machine, Apple builds these things to the highest standard. You won't find a more solid machine out there. The unibody construction feels sturdy, and it's very light. The hardware is the best you can get at the time of construction. Whether you love Apple or hate them, there's simply no denying the quality. Yes, you can buy a similarly spec'd laptop for far less. But similar specs, does not make an equal machine overall. Let me explain why:

1) Future proofing. When you buy a Mac, yes it costs more. But rest assured, you won't need to upgrade again for at least half a decade or more. This is my first MacBook upgrade in 6 years, and the previous machine was only just starting to get slow enough to warrant replacement. It could probably easily have been stretched another year minimum. The only issue we had with the other one in all that time, was the hard drive died. That could happen with any laptop, and was a cheap/easy replacement. Macs are built to last. It's a big expense, but you won't need to spend money on another laptop for years.

2) Quality. Through my work I have worked on a lot of laptops, and desktops. Even in the $1,000 and above PC market, I've yet to find a Windows machine built to the standard of a Mac. They feel better in hand than anything else. The wear and tear is less than anything else. Though it must be said, aluminum scratches and gouges easily, however that can be said of plastic too. When you pick this thing up, it's extremely light, but also manages to feel SO sturdy. There's no flexing, creaking, etc.

3) Apps. This is purely personal. Everyone feels different about operating systems, applications, how they like to do their work on a computer. OS X just works better than any version of Windows I've ever used. It's intuitive, beautiful, reliable, safe. The applications available, both through Apple and third parties, are just far more carefully done. Everything screams quality, ease of use, but also workhorse. There's a reason Macs are the go-to in anything media related, and are fast becoming the same for everything from word processing and beyond. Most big name games are even being made for Mac now. The few areas they were behind Windows on, they are now easily on par, or exceeding by quite a large margin.

4) THE DISPLAY. My goodness. You hear people talk about Retina, and how beautiful it is. Words can't really explain it. You have to see it to believe it. The deepest blacks, brightest whites, absolutely NO light bleed, you cannot see pixels to save your life. The resolution is so high you can't even stand to use another machine after looking at it. The glossy display on this model is far better than my old one. My old one had high quality, but nowhere near this. You can look at this screen from any angle now, any distance, and it's crystal clear. It's just stunning.

5) Battery life. Apple advertises 8+ hours on this laptop in particular. It delivers. Of course that depends on what you do. I mean, if you watch YouTube videos naturally it will go down faster than if you're composing emails or working in Pages. But casual web use, word processing, and a bit of photo editing, it easily meets the advertised battery life. That was with brightness on auto, all settings as far as display and energy saver on default. If you "power saved", turned brightness all the way down, keyboard backlighting off, etc... You could probably easily exceed the advertised by a noticeable amount. It charges fully from completely dead in about 3 hours. As far as degradation over time, I can't say yet obviously. However on our old MacBook (6 years old mind you) the battery still is about half as good as it started. So I am not worried about this one at all.

You won't be disappointed. Some things to note however. Apple has moved to the "App Store" format completely. There are no discs with this device. Everything is done via the app store. It does come with iWork, iLife, Mavericks, all free, but no discs. There isn't a disc drive on this device at all. Personally I like it. I can't remember the last time I used a disc anyway. If you need to restore OS X simply download it from the app store, create a USB from it with Apple's included software for that, and install from USB. You can buy an external DVD/CD drive though if you like. It is supported.

There's a lot of hype with Apple products. There's a reason for that. They deliver.
on December 8, 2013
Great laptop, super quick & slim. The screen is beautiful. Mavericks is a great os. Very happy with this purchase.
on February 19, 2014
After twenty five years on a Windows PC and countless issues from viruses to OS issues, I decided to switch to Apple. All I can say is WOW!!

Reading numerous reviews and evaluating my needs, I decided on the larger 15.4 screen,16 RAM, 500GB flash drive. For me I t was worth the added price as this MacBook is everything the other reviews claim it to be be, slim, lightweight and with the i7 process, blazing fast!

I selected the larger memory and RAM because I need to run several virtual machines. I currently have four virtual machines installed and can easily run all at the same time, even with one in coherence mode.

One concern a had about migrating from Windows was not having Outlook available. Yes, running MS Outlook on a virtual machine would solve that problem but I have discovered that the default Mac Mail has some tremendous features that my Outlook couldn't even do, like Smart Mailboxes. And by converting all my POP3 email accounts to IMAP, I am able to create all the folder structure I need to keep my large volume of emails organized across multiple devises.

The MacBook does not come with a DVD drive but at a 1/2 " thick, how could it! I picked one up on Amazon for $70 and am all set.

The new maverick OS has some great features like keychain and integrates well with Windows documents like Word, Excel, ect.. This machine is definitely a cut above, way above. WOW!

Steve B.
on December 15, 2013
No other manufacturer makes anything close to the quality and performance of this laptop. Apple has consistently set the bar that all other makers aspire to. There is not one area where this machine disappoints.
on January 2, 2014
I have been waiting for a long time to order a macbook pro. I finally made my decision and ordered it from Amazon. I had my order within the two days. All was intact. Amazon does a great job in protecting and packaging my orders. The laptop was easy to configure and connect it to my home network.