Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 30, 2014
I know the headline sounds fanboyish, but what can you say? If you've owned a Mac before, you know what to expect. If you never have owned one, let me tell you. From the packaging to the construction of every last part of the machine, Apple builds these things to the highest standard. You won't find a more solid machine out there. The unibody construction feels sturdy, and it's very light. The hardware is the best you can get at the time of construction. Whether you love Apple or hate them, there's simply no denying the quality. Yes, you can buy a similarly spec'd laptop for far less. But similar specs, does not make an equal machine overall. Let me explain why:

1) Future proofing. When you buy a Mac, yes it costs more. But rest assured, you won't need to upgrade again for at least half a decade or more. This is my first MacBook upgrade in 6 years, and the previous machine was only just starting to get slow enough to warrant replacement. It could probably easily have been stretched another year minimum. The only issue we had with the other one in all that time, was the hard drive died. That could happen with any laptop, and was a cheap/easy replacement. Macs are built to last. It's a big expense, but you won't need to spend money on another laptop for years.

2) Quality. Through my work I have worked on a lot of laptops, and desktops. Even in the $1,000 and above PC market, I've yet to find a Windows machine built to the standard of a Mac. They feel better in hand than anything else. The wear and tear is less than anything else. Though it must be said, aluminum scratches and gouges easily, however that can be said of plastic too. When you pick this thing up, it's extremely light, but also manages to feel SO sturdy. There's no flexing, creaking, etc.

3) Apps. This is purely personal. Everyone feels different about operating systems, applications, how they like to do their work on a computer. OS X just works better than any version of Windows I've ever used. It's intuitive, beautiful, reliable, safe. The applications available, both through Apple and third parties, are just far more carefully done. Everything screams quality, ease of use, but also workhorse. There's a reason Macs are the go-to in anything media related, and are fast becoming the same for everything from word processing and beyond. Most big name games are even being made for Mac now. The few areas they were behind Windows on, they are now easily on par, or exceeding by quite a large margin.

4) THE DISPLAY. My goodness. You hear people talk about Retina, and how beautiful it is. Words can't really explain it. You have to see it to believe it. The deepest blacks, brightest whites, absolutely NO light bleed, you cannot see pixels to save your life. The resolution is so high you can't even stand to use another machine after looking at it. The glossy display on this model is far better than my old one. My old one had high quality, but nowhere near this. You can look at this screen from any angle now, any distance, and it's crystal clear. It's just stunning.

5) Battery life. Apple advertises 8+ hours on this laptop in particular. It delivers. Of course that depends on what you do. I mean, if you watch YouTube videos naturally it will go down faster than if you're composing emails or working in Pages. But casual web use, word processing, and a bit of photo editing, it easily meets the advertised battery life. That was with brightness on auto, all settings as far as display and energy saver on default. If you "power saved", turned brightness all the way down, keyboard backlighting off, etc... You could probably easily exceed the advertised by a noticeable amount. It charges fully from completely dead in about 3 hours. As far as degradation over time, I can't say yet obviously. However on our old MacBook (6 years old mind you) the battery still is about half as good as it started. So I am not worried about this one at all.

You won't be disappointed. Some things to note however. Apple has moved to the "App Store" format completely. There are no discs with this device. Everything is done via the app store. It does come with iWork, iLife, Mavericks, all free, but no discs. There isn't a disc drive on this device at all. Personally I like it. I can't remember the last time I used a disc anyway. If you need to restore OS X simply download it from the app store, create a USB from it with Apple's included software for that, and install from USB. You can buy an external DVD/CD drive though if you like. It is supported.

There's a lot of hype with Apple products. There's a reason for that. They deliver.
on February 22, 2016
After purchasing this laptop I notice some stains on the top centre by the web cam and the bottom left. I did some research and i found out thats its called staingate, i called the seller and notified them about my issue they told me to ship it up and i would get back my refund. I could not wait that long and I found its a bit unfair for me to stand the cost because i am in the caribbean. i then called apple and basically they pulled out themselves which i found to be very low because this is a expensive laptop. i am really not satisfied with the service of the seller and apple and i wish apple could do something about this
on April 30, 2014
The screen is crisp and brilliant. This cannot be overstated. The screen is amazing.
The computer boots up instantly and all the apps start instantly.

I am the owner of an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I upgraded from it because launching apps was slow. I was always staring at the spinning beach ball cursor while the machine worked.

The iPad, MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro can be considered comfortably portable. You can say that you "tote" those devices. This 15-inch model cannot be comfortably "toted". You have to carry/lug this around. This is a desktop replacement laptop. This is not emphasized enough in the reviews. Do not get this if you are a road warrior.

I have seen a lot of reviews stating that you should not get this high end MacBook Pro model unless you are editing movies or only if you need its awesome power. The price is brutally expensive. That said, this model is the only one with a discrete GPU and I felt that it was the only model that I would fully enjoy because I am a PC gamer when I am not coding. If you think the same way then go ahead and purchase this because you will definitely enjoy working and gaming on this laptop for at least five years.

EDIT: 5/1/2014
You CAN comfortably carry it. I was wrong about the weight; it's light. It just looks like you're carrying a dinner tray under your arm because of the width of the laptop.
Making the switch from PC to Mac always has its challenges. But the speed of this machine, and the eye candy of the retina display paired with the beautiful aesthetics of OS X Mavericks, makes poking around for settings more like a scenic hike than an arduous trip through apocalyptic wastelands. I can't think of one negative thing to say about it. Oh...wait...I WANT MY HOME, END, and PAGE UP/DOWN KEYS BACK! Sigh, but I'll survive.
on August 21, 2014
I have been using Apple laptops since my Titanium PowerBook G4. This is MacBook brought to perfection. It is fast. The Retina Display is beautiful. The built-in speakers provide very good sound with wide stereo separation, so it is great for movies. I can read the small print, and the screen is large enough for me to work on two windows at once. I can't imagine what I would do to improve it.
Love my Apple MacBook Pro ME294LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop!
Replaced a 4 year old MBP with this. Very happy with the purchase!!
on June 10, 2014
It's a MacBook! What's not to love about a MacBook? The display is wonderful. Components such as the keyboard and trackpad all work like clockwork. In MacBooks just work! As they say no muss no fuss! Would buy a second one in a heartbeat.
on February 7, 2018
absolutely very good product.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 25, 2014
I first purchased a new VAIO flip 14 and returned it after 7 days! Windows 8 is a joke and I have no idea what possessed me to attempt to stray away from the MAC (tried to save money). This is my second one and I absolutely love it! it's sleek, light weight and soooo fast!
on March 6, 2018
SSD failed completely after less than four years, leaving me with a shiny, expensive brick.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse