Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 157 reviews
on April 11, 2014
Save a few dollars and buy from Amazon! This laptop is top-of-the-line with 15" Retina display, 512GB PCI-Express Flash drive, 16GB RAM, etc. Ordered from Amazon and received a few days later. Saved a Benjamin versus Apple online store. Apple products are very impressive. Much higher quality than Dell and other commodity Wintel vendors. If you're looking for something comparable in terms of product design, but don't want to go Apple, the next option is Samsung. Sammy laptops, tablets and phones are on-par with Apple, while the software is Windows and Android versus Apple Mac OS X & iOS.

This laptop can run both Mac OS X and Windows (and/or Linux), as it has an Intel CPU. Running Parallels virtualization product now to allow running Windows in a VM alongside Mac OS X, best of both worlds. VMware Fusion and Virtual Box are also available options to run VMs on the Mac, or use Bootcamp to dual-boot between Windows and Mac OS X.

Given the crazy state of cyber security breaches for Windows, recommend moving to Mac OS X, and use a VM to browse the Internet, etc. Reset the VM on a regular basis, ensuring no malware remains present. Don't trust anti-virus and other security products to keep the enemy out.
on April 30, 2014
The screen is crisp and brilliant. This cannot be overstated. The screen is amazing.
The computer boots up instantly and all the apps start instantly.

I am the owner of an early 2011 MacBook Pro. I upgraded from it because launching apps was slow. I was always staring at the spinning beach ball cursor while the machine worked.

The iPad, MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro can be considered comfortably portable. You can say that you "tote" those devices. This 15-inch model cannot be comfortably "toted". You have to carry/lug this around. This is a desktop replacement laptop. This is not emphasized enough in the reviews. Do not get this if you are a road warrior.

I have seen a lot of reviews stating that you should not get this high end MacBook Pro model unless you are editing movies or only if you need its awesome power. The price is brutally expensive. That said, this model is the only one with a discrete GPU and I felt that it was the only model that I would fully enjoy because I am a PC gamer when I am not coding. If you think the same way then go ahead and purchase this because you will definitely enjoy working and gaming on this laptop for at least five years.

EDIT: 5/1/2014
You CAN comfortably carry it. I was wrong about the weight; it's light. It just looks like you're carrying a dinner tray under your arm because of the width of the laptop.
on May 30, 2014
I know the headline sounds fanboyish, but what can you say? If you've owned a Mac before, you know what to expect. If you never have owned one, let me tell you. From the packaging to the construction of every last part of the machine, Apple builds these things to the highest standard. You won't find a more solid machine out there. The unibody construction feels sturdy, and it's very light. The hardware is the best you can get at the time of construction. Whether you love Apple or hate them, there's simply no denying the quality. Yes, you can buy a similarly spec'd laptop for far less. But similar specs, does not make an equal machine overall. Let me explain why:

1) Future proofing. When you buy a Mac, yes it costs more. But rest assured, you won't need to upgrade again for at least half a decade or more. This is my first MacBook upgrade in 6 years, and the previous machine was only just starting to get slow enough to warrant replacement. It could probably easily have been stretched another year minimum. The only issue we had with the other one in all that time, was the hard drive died. That could happen with any laptop, and was a cheap/easy replacement. Macs are built to last. It's a big expense, but you won't need to spend money on another laptop for years.

2) Quality. Through my work I have worked on a lot of laptops, and desktops. Even in the $1,000 and above PC market, I've yet to find a Windows machine built to the standard of a Mac. They feel better in hand than anything else. The wear and tear is less than anything else. Though it must be said, aluminum scratches and gouges easily, however that can be said of plastic too. When you pick this thing up, it's extremely light, but also manages to feel SO sturdy. There's no flexing, creaking, etc.

3) Apps. This is purely personal. Everyone feels different about operating systems, applications, how they like to do their work on a computer. OS X just works better than any version of Windows I've ever used. It's intuitive, beautiful, reliable, safe. The applications available, both through Apple and third parties, are just far more carefully done. Everything screams quality, ease of use, but also workhorse. There's a reason Macs are the go-to in anything media related, and are fast becoming the same for everything from word processing and beyond. Most big name games are even being made for Mac now. The few areas they were behind Windows on, they are now easily on par, or exceeding by quite a large margin.

4) THE DISPLAY. My goodness. You hear people talk about Retina, and how beautiful it is. Words can't really explain it. You have to see it to believe it. The deepest blacks, brightest whites, absolutely NO light bleed, you cannot see pixels to save your life. The resolution is so high you can't even stand to use another machine after looking at it. The glossy display on this model is far better than my old one. My old one had high quality, but nowhere near this. You can look at this screen from any angle now, any distance, and it's crystal clear. It's just stunning.

5) Battery life. Apple advertises 8+ hours on this laptop in particular. It delivers. Of course that depends on what you do. I mean, if you watch YouTube videos naturally it will go down faster than if you're composing emails or working in Pages. But casual web use, word processing, and a bit of photo editing, it easily meets the advertised battery life. That was with brightness on auto, all settings as far as display and energy saver on default. If you "power saved", turned brightness all the way down, keyboard backlighting off, etc... You could probably easily exceed the advertised by a noticeable amount. It charges fully from completely dead in about 3 hours. As far as degradation over time, I can't say yet obviously. However on our old MacBook (6 years old mind you) the battery still is about half as good as it started. So I am not worried about this one at all.

You won't be disappointed. Some things to note however. Apple has moved to the "App Store" format completely. There are no discs with this device. Everything is done via the app store. It does come with iWork, iLife, Mavericks, all free, but no discs. There isn't a disc drive on this device at all. Personally I like it. I can't remember the last time I used a disc anyway. If you need to restore OS X simply download it from the app store, create a USB from it with Apple's included software for that, and install from USB. You can buy an external DVD/CD drive though if you like. It is supported.

There's a lot of hype with Apple products. There's a reason for that. They deliver.
on March 6, 2014
Cannot say enough about this laptop. After using WIndows for 15+ years, the switch to Mac has been night & day x100. I cannot overstate how this laptop is far superior to a Windows product in every sense of the word. Small example:

How often my machines freeze:
With Windows - With only 5 tabs open in Internet Explorer
With Mac - With ALL MS office programs open, Adobe cs6, Firefox with 11 tabs, Calender, Itunes, & Facetime - & guess what, it STILL doesnt freeze then - I have not been able to make it freeze on me

In short, the absolute best $2490 you can spend... you get the fastest hard drive on the market, one of the best CPU's on the market, and the QUICKEST machine on the market, with the most BRILLIANT display on the market. It's a no-brainer. I would never, ever even remotely consider going back to anything WIndows.

Once again, I cannot say enough about this machine.... Absolutely the best, and smartest $2490 Ive ever spent

Also, since buying this machine, I'm able to do so much more with searching for work, doing necessary research for college, and skyping for job interviews out of state - with absolutely no problems. This laptop isn't just a fancy piece of equipment that's fast - it's a time multiplier because it paves the way fro any person or small business to increased it's productivity exponentially. Would buy again in a heartbeat.
on August 28, 2014
I won't rattle on with what others have said about this notebook, but I will say this is one of the best notebooks you can buy today. The only notebook that I would compare this to in terms of specs and design would be the Dell Precision M3800.

This replaced a Mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro and I was blown away with the retina display. I'm an amateur photographer and I was amazed with how crisp and 3-dimensional photos look on this display compared to my old notebook and 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitor.

I opted for this model rather than the entry 15" because of the 16GB RAM standard and discrete graphics. I wanted to get the most machine I could afford since I plan on keeping this for several more years like my last machine. I think after the launch of the Broadwell chipped Macs next year, the gap between integrated and discrete graphics will be so narrow to the point of being imperceptible in most applications.
on March 4, 2015
This computer is amazing. I do a lot of data processing and run intense algorithms on my computer, and wanted something that could run everything that I need for work and play. This laptop does all of it. The seller had a fantastic deal with two years of Apple Care left on it, which is the best warranty in the computer industry. There was a problem with the battery when I first got it: there was only 97 cycles on the battery and the computer was maybe getting 2.5 hours of battery time. Apple replaced the battery, and then realized it was a software issue as the boot image was not properly mounted, and fixed that. So I got a new battery with my laptop. The seller was the best I have dealt with. He was very communicative about the shipping process, and even paid extra to have it expedited. When I told him about the issue with the battery he had no problem offering me a refund in case I decided to send it back. Overall a great buying experience, and I am excited about my new gizmo/toy.
on January 15, 2014
I stayed away from the MacBooks for years, because they seemed to be overpriced inferior laptops to me. When the Retina version of this laptop came out, the MacBook finally had something the competitors didn't have - the most gorgeous screen I have ever seen on a laptop.

Something that wasn't clear to me before purchase is how light and thin this laptop is compared to similarly equipped laptops. The thickness of this laptop is amazing. It's thinner than my 4th Generation Ipad in a leather case. Albeit, a little bit heavier.

You'll definitely want a lap desk if you use this thing on your lap to watch video or play games, because it gets VERY hot. This is to be expected because of all the high end hardware squeezed into this. It's more of a desktop replacement laptop, in the form factor of a travel friendly laptop.
on May 18, 2014
LOVE my new Macbook Pro Retina. I gave my old 15" to my Mom (Go Mom!) and needed a new one. I always hoped that Apple would come out with a 15" Macbook "Air" and this is about as close as you can get. It's much thinner and lighter than my old Macbook Pro and solved the one problem I had with it. It was too heavy...

However, it introduced one new annoying flaw that I didn't have on the old one... the new Magsafe 2 power adapter comes unplugged constantly. In short, the new magnets are too weak. See the reviews on the Magsafe 2 on Apple's website to see just how much people hate them now. The good news is there is a fix. Google "Snuglet" and you'll find a new product that addresses this problem. My new Macbook is now perfect again! I hope this helps.
on February 22, 2016
After purchasing this laptop I notice some stains on the top centre by the web cam and the bottom left. I did some research and i found out thats its called staingate, i called the seller and notified them about my issue they told me to ship it up and i would get back my refund. I could not wait that long and I found its a bit unfair for me to stand the cost because i am in the caribbean. i then called apple and basically they pulled out themselves which i found to be very low because this is a expensive laptop. i am really not satisfied with the service of the seller and apple and i wish apple could do something about this
on August 20, 2014
Making the switch from PC to Mac always has its challenges. But the speed of this machine, and the eye candy of the retina display paired with the beautiful aesthetics of OS X Mavericks, makes poking around for settings more like a scenic hike than an arduous trip through apocalyptic wastelands. I can't think of one negative thing to say about it. Oh...wait...I WANT MY HOME, END, and PAGE UP/DOWN KEYS BACK! Sigh, but I'll survive.