Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on November 2, 2013
Update: I thought since it's been a couple months, I'd give a quick update. Although there isn't much to add. I still love this machine. Of course any computer you buy now should be the best computer you've owned, but this one feels especially refined. Still very happy I upgraded from the Air to the Pro.

Original Post:
I was operating on a 3 year old Macbook Air last year when I saw the MacBook Pro Retina. The 13" was tempting, in large part because it wasn't much heavier than my Air. But I decided to hold off and see if a Retina Air developed. The answer, as you probably know, was no. So when Apple refreshed the Pro line, I went for it.

I'm on day 2 getting my new machine up and running, and it's amazing. First off, that lag when you lift your lid and wait for the login screen...gone. This thing turns on like an iPad. You lift the lid and you're staring at the login.

Second, the Retina is stunning. Of course when you play movies, or games, you see the big difference, but for me it's the the text. Emails, websites, documents, everything is so much cleaner and easier to read. Much less fatigue.

Third, this thing is fast. Issues that I once blamed Internet speed, or poorly coded Websites, are now mostly gone. I would not have guessed it was the speed of my machine slowing things down. Safari and Chrome run like Ferrari and Lamborghini, respectively, on this new machine. Pages load up very fast.

The new OS X, Mavericks, is a nice upgrade and everything is just a little tighter. I was surprised that I still have to install iWork, but it's free and takes only a couple minutes.

If you're looking at this machine, you're either new to Mac, in which case buy this and don't look back. Or, you're looking at upgrading. If you had an Air, you're not likely to notice the weight difference, and the size itself is actually a little more compact feeling. If you're a MacBook Pro user, this seems like a great update if you weren't already on the Retina machines.

When you factor in size, power and battery life (which is about twice that of my old Air), this is the perfect laptop.
55 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
I looked into purchasing this computer from the Apple Store, from Best Buy, or from Amazon. Ultimately, I chose Amazon because of the fact that I did not have to pay sales taxes (depends on which state you live in). Also, Amazon made it easy to get the appropriate Square Trade warranty with it, which is cheaper than the Apple Care, but based on my readings from other customers, is just as good.

This particular model (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) is the sweet spot in terms of pricing and features, particularly for the 13" model. The 256 SSD is a bit faster than the 128GB SSD in terms of write speeds, and I believe that if you have an external drive for large files that you do not use frequently (e.g., Time Capsule), then 256GB would be plenty of data for most people.

If you can get Education Pricing from Apple, I would personally recommend that you consider going to the Apple website to purchase the model with 256GB SSD and an upgraded 16GB of RAM, which would cost 1579 plus tax (with the education discount). I could not find a 16GB model on Amazon as of early November 2013. I have found that 8GB of RAM will probably be fine for me, but I am having to be more mindful of how many programs I have open than I would like to be. Plus, who knows what programs will come out in the future that might benefit from more RAM. I am hoping that this computer lasts me at least a few years, and I can never upgrade the RAM. However, I do want to reiterate that 8GB of RAM is working fine for me right now.

I briefly owned a Macbook Air when they came out with the new version in June 2013; however, I returned it because I wanted to purchase a computer with a Retina display. I am very happy that I waited until this computer came out. It is only a half of a pound heavier than the Air, it is significantly more powerful, and it has the awesome display. I personally appreciate reading text more on this computer than on non-Retina displays.

I am a first-time Mac owner (except for brief stint with the Air earlier this year), and I am enjoying the transition. For me, the trackpad is my favorite part. Once you get used to the many gestures, it is easy to transition between applications, launch new ones, manipulate text, zoom in and out, swipe back to your previous page, etc. After a week of heavy use, I can definitely see myself sticking with Mac. I will update the review if I change my mind for some reason.

So far, so good. Enjoy your purchase :)

Update 11.9.13: Apple has released an update to fix the trackpad problem that some of the other reviews mentioned.

I continue to use the laptop heavily, and I am definitely impressed by the battery. The actual battery life totally depends on how many programs you've got running. I have found that with several tabs in Safari and maybe one other program (e.g., iTunes), I can get the 9-10 hours that Apple claims. When I've got Safari and Chrome with several tabs, Garageband, iTunes, KeyNote, Pocket, the App Store going, I'm getting closer to 7 hours, which is still pretty good.

As far as the heat goes, I have not actually measured the temperature, but it has not caused me any problems. I personally try to position laptops carefully on my lap (as all guys should per men's health research), but other than that, I have not found myself worrying about it.

The sound quality is pretty good, better than the 13" Air. It's easy to adjust the volume even at night because of the awesome backlit keyboard. The volume buttons are easily accessible. I suggest that you disable the annoying sound feedback that indicates you have changed the volume (it is especially annoying when wearing headphones).

For other first-time Mac users, I suggest that you find websites that give keyboard shortcuts, and that you dedicate time making these shortcuts as well as the trackpad gestures second-nature. The earlier you can get those movements in your muscle memory, the faster you will feel that the laptop obeys your wishes :)
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2015
Apple Lover here so theres really no explaining why I got this laptop other then Its amazing & the best computer you could ask for. It's packed with everything you need in a laptop and its super portable & doesn't break nearly as fast as other laptops making it the perfect laptop worth every penny you pay for it. I will list some of the many features of this laptop I love below in hopes it will help you make you want one yourself:

Performance:
Ok so Apple does an amazing job at making computers that are bound to perform excellent & provide its users with an excellent experience!! This computer does a great job at performing everyday tasks like searching the web, watching videos, creating videos, photoshop,emailing, etc. Whatever your heart desires your bound to love the performance this Apple macbook offers you. It powers on & off with a click of a button and loads super fast. The body of this computer is also stunning and does a great job at cooling its self. Compared to other non apple laptops I have had in the past this laptop blows the other ones away, as this laptop performance is top notch in comparison.

Retina Display:
The Retina Display on this laptop looks stunning!! It's crystal clear and makes photos and videos look amazing!!

Battery:
The battery on this macbook is amazing it last for hours!!

Apps:
Beyond amazing apps even free apps are amazing!!

Weight and size:
This macbook is super light weight and portable making for the perfect travel laptop, weather your on the go traveling or going to the coffee shop to get some work done, it really is the perfect computer for your everyday needs.

I personally love my Macbook pro & wouldn't trade it for any other laptop out there. I definitely recommend it to anyone & everyone.
review image
on November 7, 2013
My choice to get this new Macbook Pro instead of a Windows 8.1 laptop is great!!!
I would like to write this review in detail, hope it will help!

1. Performance
Apple does provide excellent user experience! The turn on/off time is with in 30 seconds! And the fan is so quiet. The body isn't very hot compared with my previous SONY laptop. And it's really fast, also easy to use, you can forget about the mouse! Also, the wake up from sleep is in a second!!!

2. Retina Display
Best screen ever!!! When I watch HD stream video, I can feel the huge difference between Retina Macbook and PC. I can't go bak to the old PC monitor anymore. The words, pictures, videos, are smooth and much more clear. Also small logo or fonts are still clear and easy to recognize. Office 2011 supports retina now, but Adobe PDF reader doesn't, yet.

3. Battery
Wow, this is magic, 9 hours usage time!!! And it is so smart, that this laptop can tell whether you are next to it, so it can shut down the screen to save power. My tips to help you protect your battery's health.
TIPS: When you at home, charge it, and when the battery is 100% full, keep the plug on. Because after fully charged, macbook will separate your battery from use, then use the electricity from adapter directly. But whenever you need to leave home, just unplug, it has long standby time. And remember to use the battery only from 100% to 0% (when macbook automatically shut down) once a month, to keep the battery active!

4. Apps
Beyond your imagination. Really useful, even free apps. And they can make you feel you are using your PC again.

5. Weight and size
Really light. And the thickness is about a ball-point pen! Buy this one instead Macbook Air!!!

===========I give it 10 stars, if possible==========
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2014
Whoa is this thing amazing. Been a windows user for the last 15+ years. I will never buy another CPU with Windows OS ever again. It's just a shame I still have to use Windows at work. The screen is out of this world, battery life is around 8 hours, and the thing just flat out works. No more extremely long boot up times, when you click an application it's up and running so fast it's almost unbelievable. I would reccomend to anyone/everyone. If you are worried about the transition...DON'T! Within a few hours you are more than familiar enough to complete all necessary tasks. I am just mad at myself for not buying a MAC earlier. I am not a "Apple fan boy" I carry a DROID phone and will never be convinced to swith to an iPhone. I was just so tired of Microsoft/Windows operating system flaws and viruses. If theres any doubt in your mind BUY THIS NOW!!!
on November 7, 2013
I owned a Macair for about 2y, sold it now to get this one. Definitely love the screen and 8G and 256G is enough; I run wmware with Win7X64 and RedHat Enterprise as virtual machines.
No freezing issues like others experienced (mouse or keyboard). The reason for 4 starts only is because at this price apple should have included I7 dual core.
It's very light, and I see that apple is slowly offering more for the same money due to competition. Another thing is (typical apple)is the inability to set up the screen at retina display with only what apple supplied. One has to download a 3rd party app to do that (which needs to be started upon reboot, or at least set up to the resolution you want), which is unacceptable. With all that being said is not really easy to use the display at that resolution, but still that option should be left with the buyer.
Another thing I can't stand with Apple laptops is that the SD sticks out way too much, and could potentially break.
on April 25, 2014
I gave it the highest rating because it does everything it was advertised to do. Anyone in the market for a Macbook Pro - don't get sucked into buying the most powerful processor, more RAM than you need or too big a 'hard drive". They make the computer ridiculously expensive when it doesn't need to be. For most people the base processor, 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage is all you'll ever need.
on April 23, 2014
Had an iPad and a lap top, never a Mac. Love it! Terrific for storing and editing pictures. Easy to learn the various uses and the free one hour classes are great! Much more portable and easy to use anywhere Han me old laptop, which was the same dimensions, but the Mac is thinner and lighter with better battery power. The magnet connection for charging is super, too. After decades of Windows I am not at a loss, as I feared I might be and am delighted!
on November 5, 2013
Very Solid laptop but comes with some early adopter bugs. I upgraded from a 2009 13" Macbook pro and use a 2010 Mac Mini as my HTPC. The connection between those two via screen share was as close to real time as one could get. Screen sharing from this laptop to the Mini is extremely slow. Based on the apple discussion forums, this is a known issue. I have yet to come up with a workaround to solve this issue.

Another annoying bug I have encountered a few times is the keyboard and trackpad freezing. According to Apple, this is a software issue. The current workaround is to close the laptop for 30 seconds or so to reset the trackpad/keyboard.

****11/8/2013 UPDATE

Fix for the keyboard/trackpad freezing issue has been released.
77 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2014
Extremely fast, lightweight, and easier to use than any of my previous Windows laptops or even my old MacBook Pro laptop. The keyboard has a little less spring to it than previous MacBook Pro models but you get used to it quickly. I guess it's the price of the new super thin and lightweight design, which is a good trade-off. I was considering getting the Air but decided this Pro had a much better display, more and faster connectivity, and a faster processor, all for just a bit more weight. Since this will be my primary computer, and only used for travel occasionally, I decided it was the best choice though either would have been good.