Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Apple iPad Mini 2 with WiFi 32GB Silver - ME280LL/A
Size: 32 GB|Item Shape: Wi-Fi|Color: Silver|Change

I've had the full sized Apple iPad with Retina Display for about a year and a half and have found that both my wife and I use it so frequently that getting a second iPad made sense. Plus, I got a great deal at B*st B*y and that was all it took to convince me to purchase this iPad mini.

I selected the iPad mini version this time because I felt that the smaller size would be nice, and with the retina display I knew that the display quality would be excellent. It is also quite a bit less expensive (than the full size iPad) and for an impulse buy, that helps.

Briefly stated this is a superb small tablet. If you are already invested in the Apple ecosystem then the apps you already own will load right up and it operates identically to your other devices. I'm not going to try to make the case for the Apple devices vs. Android tablets. I think they are both good, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I've been using an iPhone for several years, as well as the larger iPad, so staying with Apple is a big advantage for me. That is what they want, of course, but it is also fine with me because I love the products.

Pros:

- The size and weight of this device is wonderful - this iPad mini is less than 50% of the weight of my full size iPad, which is a huge difference. The difference in weight is enough to make it much more comfortable to hold for any extended period.
- The display is still large enough to web surf and read documents comfortably. It has the same display resolution as my full size iPad (2048-by-1536), with a higher 326 pixels per inch pixel density than the larger model. In other words, the two displays will show the same identical content, the mini simply a smaller version. The display is just crystal clear and sharp.
- It comes with a charger and USB cable, which are all you need to get started.
- It's compatible with all other Apple iPhone, iPod, iPad apps, works seamlessly with my iMac computer, and is easy to set up right out of the box.

Cons:

- the smaller display is of course slightly less suitable, compared to the full size iPad, for doing some things such as watching video. The speakers are also smaller and do not project the same volume of sound as the larger iPad.
- as with all Apple products, not cheap

Comments:

- The 16GB size is the most affordable and is what I selected. It does mean that you are limited in what can be loaded on to the iPad. Many users, those who have large numbers of apps or keep many photos or music or video files on their device, will want the 32GB or even 64GB sizes. My needs are more modest. I use it more for streaming and web surfing, and other less memory intensive applications. The 16GB is therefore very sufficient for me, but it is at the low extreme for devices of this type today. I realize and accept that it may eventually limit me in what I can do with the device, that it means less ability to grow and for future needs.
- Physically, this iPad mini is just slightly larger than Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display. The iPad display is somewhat larger than the 1920x1200 pixel Kindle display. The iPad is about half an inch taller, quarter of an inch wider, and is slightly thinner. They are just about the same weight. The iPad mini was just fifty dollars more expensive than the Kindle at the sale price I paid. The Kindle HDX would have been my alternate choice - I like Amazon's Kindle products, but again there is the issue of app compatibility with other iOS devices I already own. And the iPad works just fine in reading the books that I have in my Kindle library, using the Kindle app that I have installed.

This is the wi-fi only version. My needs are only for a device for use at home and I have no desire or need to use this away from wi-fi networks or on my phone data plan.

When the iPad mini was first introduced, my wife and I looked at one at the Apple store, and we had mixed feelings about whether or not we'd want the smaller size. And that was the original mini, before it had the retina display. Now that the mini has the retina display, and I have one myself and I've used it for several weeks, I'm not at all dissatisfied with the size. In fact, it has become the iPad that I use every day, while my wife continues to use the larger iPad (which she does prefer, but she also has not had much opportunity to use the mini because I've pretty much monopolized it). For a two-iPad family I think that having one of each size is a good way to go.

For my purposes this is perfect.
55 comments| 492 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
*** Why last year's Mini 2 is better than this year's Mini 3 ***

If you're thinking about buying an iPad Mini, you should strongly consider buying last year's model (the 2013 iPad Mini 2, formerly called iPad Mini with Retina Display) instead of the iPad Mini 3 that came out in Fall 2014.

They are almost identical: EXACT same processor, EXACT same display, EXACT same battery life, EXACT same hardware and dimensions, and they run all the same apps EQUALLY well. The only thing you get with a 2014 Mini 3 that was not on the 2013 Mini 2 is the fingerprint sensor (and a new color option: white front with gold back).

This fingerprint sensor is the same one that's on the iPhone 5S and later models. It has limited usefulness on the iPad; it's more useful on phones, since more and more transactions will be done using phones instead of actual credit cards.

So, if the Mini 3 and the Mini 2 are virtually identical, why buy the 2? Because it's cheaper. Apple still sells the 2 for $100 less than a comparably configured 3. But you can save even more than $100 if you shop around, because many retailers are clearancing their inventory of last year's Mini 2. Two weeks ago, I found a Mini 2 with cellular and 64gb at B.B. for $150 less than a comparably configured Mini 3. I bought two--one for myself and one for a family member for Christmas. Unless you really want the fingerprint sensor or the new white/gold color combo, skip the Mini 3 and save yourself $100 or more by purchasing a Mini 2 instead.

*** iPad Mini compared to iPad Air ***

I bought an iPad Air when it came out in Fall 2013 and love it. It's extremely fast and the thin/light form factor is amazing, especially compared to earlier full-sized iPads. I know the 2014 iPad Air 2 is even better in some ways: a bit thinner, a faster processor, better cameras, and a new display that according to iLounge is slightly improved. But the 2013 iPad Air is so great that this is the first time I've not felt compelled to upgrade.

The iPad Mini 2 (formerly called "iPad Mini with Retina Display") came out last year about the same time as the iPad Air. Unlike the original iPad Mini from 2012, the 2013 Mini 2 is not a crippled iPad; it is virtually as powerful as the 2013 Air. It's essentially a 2013 iPad Air in a smaller package.

While the Air is amazingly thin and light for a 10" tablet, the Mini 2 is noticeably smaller and lighter, which makes it easier to hold in one hand for long periods of time and also much easier to travel with. There are times when the Air's larger screen is important--for example if I'm reading a textbook or a large-format magazine on the device, or editing a giant Excel spreadsheet. But most of the time, I'm equally happy with the Mini's 8" Retina display. The Mini 2 runs processor-intensive games and apps virtually as well as the Air, which is to say very well indeed.

*** iPad Mini compared to Android and Amazon tablets ***

It's true, you can get a 7" or 8" tablet for less money than an iPad Mini. Amazon's own 7" Kindle Fire HDX is very good and much less expensive, as are some Android tablets.

A good Android tablet can do most everything an iPad can do, or even more. While each operating system has its loyal fans, in fact Android and iOS are both very good and, at this point, very mature operating systems with a large catalog of apps. Android OS is much more customizable than Apple's iOS, which is important to many Android fans.

I kind of don't recommend Amazon's own Fire tablets. They are essentially Android tablets with some of the Android features stripped away in order to keep Amazon content in front of the customer. If that doesn't bother you, Amazon Fire tables are very good and affordable, so they are worth your consideration.

I am fortunate that I can afford to spend more to get the device I really want. And to me, it's worth paying more for Apple devices. I prefer iOS to Android and I like the hardware Apple uses and the build quality of iPads. But others prefer Android devices and I can't tell you my opinion is more valid than theirs.

If you decide to buy an iPad, you almost certainly will be happy with your purchase. iPads have a very high owner satisfaction rate and a very low defect rate. Apple customer service is absolutely excellent. The hardware and software are great. The only remaining decision you have is: which iPad?

For me, the iPad Mini 2 is the best choice for the reasons I gave above. It's very powerful and fast, the Retina display is great, the 8" size is light and super convenient, and best of all it's much cheaper than the new Mini 3 despite being virtually the same.
11 comment| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2014
This is the Ipad to own, invest the extra $$$ you would have spent on the IPad Air into more memory, I bought the 32 gig, seems to be the sweet spot without breaking the bank, I find the screen size to be perfect, not cumbersome like its bigger brother, everything looks crisp and beautiful on the Retina display, performance is blazingly fast, I've owned the 9.7 inch IPads in the past and found myself less inclined to use it on a regular basis due to its size, with the mini you will want to use it more often, so to sum it up, same specs, retina display, lighter more portable design, more affordable = mini 2>air!
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 392 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 4, 2016
From the Retina display and the A7 processor chip compared to the original iPad minis A5 chip to the super easy finger glide screen and everything in between, this is a phenomenal product. I had the first iPad min for......way too long, so I started shopping for a new one. I always stay within the Apple product universe for tablets and phones (just not Mac's they confuse and scare me though they are quite amazing) and I love the size of the mini series, it's just perfect for a casual user like me. I was bouncing back and forth between the mini 2, 3 and 4 and I'm super happy and satisfied I ended up with the mini 2. The mini 3 is well, pretty pointless.....it has a finger scanner and.......and............a finger scanner........oh and I think it also comes in gold but.......to me it looks like buttcheeks. That's it otherwise is the exact same thing as the mini 2, in fact I looked on Apples website and they dint even offer the mini 3, openly at least it's not in the comparison list for all the iPad models. So after realizing the mini 3 was just a re-skin of mini 2, my choice came down between the mini 2 and 4. I'll admit the 4 was the better choice obviously, if you have that kind of money to just throw at a tablet, but mini 2 won because well it's cheaper for one and it alone is a tremendously colossal upgrade from the original mini. Going from the first mini to mini 2 is like going from a caveman stone wheel Flintstones car, to a NASA Space Rocket Ship. Yes it's just that good of an upgrade, and I image the jump from mini 2 to 4 is just time travel. If you have the money to shell out for the mini 4 by all means go for it, but if you're looking to save a lot of money and still get a mind blowing product then I'd suggest going with the iPad mini 2 but that's just me. Personally to me saving money is earning money and I'm passed the phase in my life where I absolutely need the latest and greatest piece of technology to survive. Going with something that may not be the very best but is still a great or even, in this case, a phenomenal product is just a more logical and smart way of thinking about things and you'll be happier overall because you still have change left over to buy something else or will give you an extra boost in saving up to get what you want later on. So my consensus is, iPad mini 2..........I love you.............original iPad mini...........I think we should see other people.....
on March 25, 2014
This my third iPad and second mini. I don't really notice much of a difference in terms of performance of the tablet versus the non retina mini. However I will say the retina screen is a bigger deal than I thought. I used to have to zoom a lot to read articles, but retina screen is so clear i don't have to zoom at all.
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 28, 2016
This Ipad is great. I have found it to be the perfect size for me, and it's very portable. It's got all the power and ability as the larger ones, just in a smaller size.

If you are reading this and youre not sure if you should get it because there are other, cheaper tablets out there (there are tons), then hear me out. I have wanted an Ipad for the longest time, but never bought one because I didn't have the money for it. When I did get the money for it, I was just going to buy another cheap tablet (I've had to buy several because cheap tablets don't last very long), but I decided to go for it. If you have the money, and you want an Ipad, then get an Ipad. This thing does not disappoint (for what I use it for).

I basically use this tablet for everything, except for games, and primarily reading. For that purpose, this tablet does wonderful. The screen is very clear; if you are upgrading from a cheaper tablet, then the screen will probably blow your mind, and if youre transitioning from another, high-quality tablet, then its probably just gonna be "meh". The battery life on it is very good. I charged this to 100%, unplugged it, and watched an hour and a half long movie. When the movie was over, the ipad was at 94%. Anddd, with the split screen option and the ability to watch the movie while you work, I was watching the movie, checking facebook, emailing people, and all sorts of things; needless to say, the processor and battery on this thing is impressive.

I gave this four stars for two primary reasons - the wifi connectivity could be better (the the new kindle fire hd has an impressive dual-band whatcha ma call its), and I have found the page turn animation quite annoying while reading and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

If you want this ipad, and have the money, then get it, you aren't going to be disappointed. If you are looking for a tablet to watch a lot of movies on, this will do well, but you could also look at the kindle fire's which have an impressive screen quality for a low price. If you want web surfing, this does well. If you want a gaming tablet, I suggest you do more research (there are some by asus and other brands that have some impressive processors on board). And finally, for those of you who are photographers, the camera is alright, not the best thing ever; however, the photo editing apps are quite cool and may come in handy. All in all, this is a great tablet that will more than likely work for your needs.
on May 11, 2016
Lightning fast delivery speed from the seller, and item arrived well-packaged and in factory sealed box. However ... It was really hard to tell from the listing whether this was a new unit complete with factory warranty (one year). When I called Amazon Customer Service (best customer service in the WORLD), I was assured that it was indeed a new unit with an Apple factory warranty in place. When I received the iPad mini 2, the first thing I did was register it on Apple's website, and it was there that I discovered that not only was one month of the warranty already used up, but that my telephone assistance for the unit had expired ..... So - what I was told was kind of true, but not completely true. It was less expensive than on Apple's own website, but not by much. Was the savings enough to warrant having lost a month of warranty, and telephone assistance? Can't answer that, really. Just hope I don't have any issues that would require telephone assistance! Other than that, I bought this unit to be able to access my son's iCloud, filled with pictures of the new baby, and also to be able to FaceTime the baby when she's old enough (very soon). It's the only Apple product we now own, apart from our iPods from years and years ago.
on April 18, 2014
I don't normally write reviews however this time I feel the need to express my absolute amazement over the iPad mini retina display. I read a ton and have been finding myself squinting in bed to read off the iPhone and noticed I have been getting awful headaches. I sucked it up and ordered the 32GB with 4g network in case I ever do need it. I went back and forth between the prices and capacity for about 2 weeks and decided the bigger would be better for the long run. I plan on using it for awhile and I have a ton of investing apps which I use daily.

As for the iPad mini, the picture is stunning. We already have an iPad 3 which basically my 2 yr old took over but I did a comparison between the two and the response time and picture quality is flawless. I am used to the iPhone 5S resolution and I could ask for more. If you are stuck between the old verisimilitude iPad mini for the simply fact of cost, don't waste your time. The response rate when opening applications along with the resolution and sharpness is hands down worth the extra money.

To make sure this stays clean and protected, I paired this with a Kavaj leather iPad mini case. It is beautiful, sophisticated and professional for my work related business trips.
on January 7, 2017
This was for my brother who lost his older iPad on vacation, so we had to start him over.my brother counts every penny, so he does not waste his money.but he likes Apple iPads so well now , that he gave me the money to order a new one ,as he said he felt like something was missing. So he's happy and so am I . His wife, my husband and I may have to update ours to a newer model as well . It has a lot of cool features and the latest updates. Hope everyone else who buys this enjoys it as well.
on July 1, 2017
I bought this for my wife. She liked my iPad, and wanted one that she could bring to school to take notes with instead of bringing around her bulkier laptop, along with a ton of books (doctoral students get a lot of things to carry). I have the iPad Air 2, but I couldn't find my particular model in a price that I could afford at that time. When I went on Amazon, I found the Mini 2 at a very good price. I decided to buy it for her, and it came here a few days later. She's very pleased with it so far, though typing is a bit of a challenge even with a case with a keyboard. The difference in size makes typing naturally difficult, and is something I should've put more consideration into, especially because I personally have a hard time typing on my Air 2 - I tried typing on hers, and my fingers created a beautiful word salad (I have quite big hands).

For games she loves it, and she can access a lot of her textbooks very easily. That was a great benefit of buying the iPad - now she can rent a lot of her very expensive textbooks (the ones she doesn't want to keep) in a digital format and just tote along the tablet instead of a massive hardcover. Reduced her weight in her bag, and the tears in our eyes when we open our bank accounts after we purchased our books for the next semester. The screen is great - both of ours have the Retina display, and while I originally thought it was a massive gimmick and refused to shell out more money for it on my first MacBook Pro (Mid-2012), my newest MacBook (Mid-2016) definitely was going to have it. Also, I love the night mode, and use it on my tablet, Mac, and iPhone, as it really does help my eyes at night.

For reference, the iPad Mini 2 I purchased was the WIFI 32gb in silver.