Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 4, 2015
As many other reviewers have pointed out, the main seller of these iPod Nanos on Amazon is advertising new ("non-retail package") units but is actually shipping old, refurbished units with expired warranties. I would recommend spending those few extra $s and buying an iPod Nano from Apple. That being said, my three-star review is directed firmly at Apple and the 7th gen Nano itself...

Firstly, this is truly (as Jony Ive would no doubt tell you) a wonderful, magical device and a miracle of modern engineering. The 7th gen's internal amp is a slight step up from that of the 6th gen Nano with a cleaner sound and marginally quieter noise floor, although I still prefer the size (and clip) of the 6th gen model. Here's why the 7th gen Nano only gets three stars from me. For a dedicated DAP that does basically nothing but play music and has no internet-connection capabilities of any kind, 16 Gb storage is pathetic and paltry. (Technically, it can play video too, but with the tiny screen and tiny amount of storage, I'm not sure why Apple even bothered with this capability.) After waiting three years for a refresh of this product, what do we get? Improved internals? More storage? At least the OPTION to pay lots of extra $$$$s for more storage? Nope. We get new colors. That's right -the opportunity to buy the exact same thing, but in a slightly different color. Come on Apple. Get your act together.
79 helpful votes
80 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on August 2, 2016
the product is great. i wanted a device that would not feed on my data and i have acquired a lot of songs thru iTunes. if you don't want MB consumed on your phone, a nano is your best option. I can't say for other products though (samsung) as i only have an iTunes account and I'm not sure if it allowed me to transfer/convert songs i have purchased.
The con
The con is your seller. This i purchased with cool-tee. there are 4000 reviews on this product. this review would just be drowned with possibly false 5 star reviews( i think). Its a common complaint on people who purchased this, that product fails less than 2 mos. mine failed less than a month which allows me to return it immediately. but had it failed beyond a month warranty is off. This is not a brand new product, its refurbished. (you can tell it from the packaging it came with) meaning had it been registered before (by a former owner) and you purchased it not from an apple shop, warranty might not be covered. Even though the product is great I had to give 1 star to give warning to where you are buying it from. its a 2012 apple product which means it might be out of its covered warranty by apple.
the 2nd thing is 4000 reviews.
if you have 3000 5 star reviews and 1000 1 star reviews, you'll have an average 3.3 stars. thats assuming you legit 3000 5 stars reviews.
66 helpful votes
67 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 7, 2013
I purchased the 7th Generation Nano to replace my 2nd Generation Nano (the old one got wet).
For the most, I've very happy with the product. I purchased the device for listening to music. I chose it over iPod Touch because I wanted the smaller form-factor and I like listening to sports on the FM radio. The 16GB capacity is more than enough for me.

Surprises:
Earpods: When I saw the commercial for the new earbuds, I was not impressed. When I actually put the new earbuds into my ears I was. They sound better and are much more comfortable than the old earbuds.
Video: While the screen is rather small, I was surprised with how easy it was to watch video on. I'm not sure that I'd want to watch movies on the iPod, but watching TV shows and video Podcasts (things where the audio is more important than the visuals) has been really enjoyable.
Battery life: Even with the big screen, I've been happy with battery life so far.
Buttons: There is a physical on/off button. It's a nice feature that my previous Nano lacked.

Disappointments:
Buttons: If you touch the on/off button, it will turn the screen off. There have been a few occasions where I've held down the on/off button to turn off the device only to discover the next day that I only managed to turn off the screen (and music has been playing for 20 hours, so now my battery is almost dead).
FM: One of the features of this iPod is iTunes tagging. Sadly, most of the radio stations around me don't support iTunes tagging. Also, the FM attenna is build into the Earpods, so I can't listen to the football/hockey game and use wireless/Bluetooth headphones at the same time (It's not a big thing)
Price: It should be cheaper. I bought mine on sale, I don't think I'd pay full price.
on October 14, 2012
The latest iPod Nano is an update to the current state of the art in ultra-compact music players and it represents incremental but important improvements over its predecessors with only a few minor trade-offs. I'm convinced it represents a substantial functional upgrade for most users.

Its major advantage, in my opinion, is actually its slightly-larger size in comparison to the 5th generation. Although the smaller form factor of the previous Nano was remarkable for its extreme compactness, it actually made the device somewhat cumbersome to use. Its touch-screen was too susceptible to unintended inputs and it couldn't be easily held in one hand while manipulating its controls. Attempts to control it via screen-input while clipped onto one's clothing tended to be futile: you'd need to un-clip the device, then hold it in one hand and manipulate its touch-screen with the other. While the tiny size and convenient clip made it practically disappear while in use, it could be an ergonomic nightmare to actually interact with.

The new Nano is still tiny but much better for one-handed use. My index finger comfortably sits on the three-way volume/play/pause button (itself a major improvement) while my thumb has easy access to the sleep/wake button, the home button and the improved, larger, multi-touch-enabled screen. This easy one-handed control has the significant practical advantage of not requiring the interruption of my activities to switch, for example, between podcasts, music playlists and FM radio.

Other improvements follow logically from the Nano's new shape. The screen's larger proportions allow all the main "apps" to show up on a single home screen, so less fiddling is typically required for switching. Videos and photos become practical on a screen of these proportions, so it's perfectly reasonable to load some viewable content in addition to the audio content that will no doubt remain the Nano's main reason for existence. With few pixels, photos take up very little memory. The screen has neither the stunning colors nor the retina resolution of the premium iDevices, but photos still show up crisply and become the modern equivalent of the now-obsolete "wallet"-sized photos people used to carry. Video content is surprisingly usable as long as you can set the Nano in a viewable position - for example, on a cardio machine at the gym. The Nano supports rotation, so displaying the beautiful panos you've made with your new iPhone is simply a matter of rotating the device to the horizontal and then looking very, very closely. Maybe bring a magnifying glass.

More important for most people, the new Nano is an improved device for playing music. The "Home" button is a good antidote to the common experience of getting lost in the old Nano's sometimes-inscrutable layers of touch screens, bringing you immediately back to the home screen without interfering with playback. An even bigger practical improvement is the addition of the play/pause button on the volume control, a feature lifted from the (now unfortunately absent) remote-equipped earphones of many previous iPods. It's worth a few minutes' time to familiarize yourself with this button's very clever functions: click to play or to pause, double-click for next track, triple-click for previous track (even when in shuffle mode), double-click-and-hold for cueing (great for skipping forward in podcasts), and so on. Most routine playback functions are accessible through this simple and very welcome interface and can be accomplished while diverting little attention from whatever you're otherwise engaged in.

The list of major upgrades doesn't end there. The inclusion of Bluetooth will make the Nano usable, for the first time, with many car audio systems and also with wireless Bluetooth headsets and remote Bluetooth speaker systems. The FM radio is much better than I would have imagined if I hadn't used the previous Nano, with legitimately excellent reception and a very nice interface that lets you select unlimited numbers of "presets." I've used small portable radios in the past, and maybe there are some other good ones out there, but the ones I've experienced have been terrible. I'm personally still attached to FM, and this level of FM quality would make the Nano a terrific device even if it did nothing else.

In general I find the new Nano to be a beautiful, nearly-flawless little piece of practical technology that can do things which, not that long ago, I would not have expected to be possible within my lifetime. While it's not inexpensive, it has real life-improving potential for people who love music or who want to remain portably connected to a world of podcasted information. Being smaller than a credit card in two of three dimensions, it fits easily into the smallest pocket. While jaded consumers of technology can claim it's a mere incremental improvement over its predecessors, I prefer to see it as an instance of exceptional, practical, functional design in a world full of cheap junk that too often disappoints or fails to function altogether. While I have a few nitpicks (below), none of them significantly diminish its overall excellence. It earns every star.

Notes:

- There are a few disappointments and drawbacks:

--- The Ear Pods that come with the device sound good overall but don't have the remote function included with many iDevice earphones in recent years. While the new Nano has a hardware button that mimics that function, the corded remote is often more accessible, making pause/play and track-change functions instantly available even if the device is buried in a pocket. A decent set of Apple-compatible remote-equipped earphones would be a nice addition.

--- This latest Nano eliminates the useful integrated clip featured by the last (6th generation) Nano, making it more a pocket device. Its thin-ness and Bluetooth support compensates for this: the old Nano's clip made it slightly cumbersome in a pocket, as it could catch on things and added significantly to the device's thickness. Nevertheless the previous generation remains the ultimate for portability and, while thicker and slightly wider, weighs around 1/3 less than the latest model.

--- The white screen-surround on the colored Nanos doesn't look all that great in my opinion. It does give the Nanos a clean, friendly look, but to my eyes black would be a better choice and would contrast sharply with the bright colors and icons. I chose the boring but still attractive "slate" (black) model, which does have a black screen-surround.

--- I would like more flexibility in some of the settings: for example, the ability to keep the screen "on" longer, even indefinitely, before it sleeps. As it is, the screen goes dark so quickly I'm often still in the middle of fiddling with whatever I'm working on and have to re-wake the screen to continue. The previous-generation Nano was similar.

--- The previous 6th-gen Nano enjoyed an unintended popularity as a watch, mainly with kids, who seemed to love using it for this purpose. It had lots of clock faces to choose from and could be set to default to the clock when waked from sleep (as can the current model). The new Nano gives up the prospect of practical wrist-wearability. It also features fewer clock faces and only a few background options, all color-matched to the device, none of which is customizable. Perhaps this helps contribute to a lean OS and optimize the device's storage space. Whatever the case, the new Nano is not a watch, nor a clock, although it will accurately show you the time and it still has a useful stopwatch and countdown-timer.

- The Lightning connector is functionally far better than competing connector types such as Micro-USB and a clear improvement over the old style. The previous-generation Nano was nearly dwarfed by its connector, and it's easy to see that retaining that oversized monstrosity (as it will seem to have been, within a year or two) would have precluded the current positioning of the Home button on the new device, among other drawbacks.

- The Nano is still not an iOS device: internet connectivity and wireless- or Cloud-syncing remain in the future. This makes sense: a Nano is likely to be away from a wifi signal much of the time it's used, and cellular capability hardly seems reasonable. If you're looking for a do-it-all device, a smart phone remains a much more versatile (but cumbersome) alternative. The Nano is fundamentally optimized to function as a stand-alone audio player. Pandora will have to wait.

- Why not simply use a smart phone for music playback and podcasts? Well, you could - but the Nano has some significant advantages. Its size makes it much easier to carry while active, or while working around the house or in the garage. Its dedicated intelligent play/pause button makes interfacing with audio playback much simpler. And at least among Apple devices it is the only one to offer FM radio, which it does very well. These tend to be very important differences in day-to-day use and can easily justify its purchase price as a separate device.
1,433 helpful votes
1,434 helpful votes
4545 comments|Report abuse
on April 5, 2016
So I broke down and got a new ipod nano after my old 2nd gen nano's (after years of working great) finally started to go and got to where it wouldn't hold a charge for more than 1-2 hours.

It was funny cause I looked around for another 2nd gen (figuring they'd be cheap) but any that I found that were working well enough were as much as this was if not more. So after some thought I finally got this, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. It holds a charge relatively well and doesn't take very long to charge when it gets low.

My old ipod charger plug didn't fit this new one, but thankfully this came with an adapter for that and once I got used to the touch screen and saved and transfered all my playlsits it worked out pretty well, so I'm glad I bought it despite the fact I'm still barely at 8GB of music,lol
on August 24, 2015
This is a great iPod. I love the small size. The 16GB holds more music than I can listen to in months, which is nice. I let it load randomly from my iTunes library, which is quite extensive. I then go through and eliminate certain artists (ones that are not of my taste) and cuts (intros, interviews, super long songs). This way, I get a lot of random songs and artists that I rarely hear. After I eliminate the "chaff", I go back and add songs/artists that I like that were not added randomly. Now, I have the best of both worlds.

There are a lot of little nuances that I stumble upon that make this iPod even more fun. A lot is packed into this little bundle of fun.
on March 17, 2014
I don't know about everybody else, but when I buy something for more than $100 I expect it to last for more than a year. This device (which I did not use on a regular basis), will no longer turn on, nor react to a wall charger. It has literally been a year and a month, so I can't use the warranty on it. Thanks for making REEEALLLY high quality products Apple. Safe to say I will be using my smart for phone for that now and will never buy another Apple product ever again.
on August 1, 2015
I have two mp3 players that did nothing but drive me crazy. I finally broke down and decided to actually get a iPod: best decision ever! The iTunes software still frustrated me a little bit, but I now have everything on it I want and it is super easy to get to what I want to listen to. I use this for meditations and having it makes me so happy, lol.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on June 30, 2014
This new nano has more features than I will use, and other reviews here detail them well. Suffice to say, I really wanted a music player. My previous nano was 5th generation. I had it for many years and really liked it, but lost it. I was looking for a reasonably priced alternative which is another reason I picked this nano compared to other Apple products and MP3 players.

Two important things for me. The first, that I could use it in the car. I have a 2007 Mazda which is not bluetooth compatible, but does have a hook up for electronic devices. It's a wire that plugs into the device's ear plug and then plays through the car's speakers. RIGHT ON, APPLE! Works like a dream.

Secondly, I purchase non-iTunes music and store it on my PC as MP3. I was able to upload them to my 5th gen nano and wanted to be able to do the same here. No problems with this device at all. Works just as the old nano.

It's very easy to use although the turn wheel is gone and replaced with "swiping" and "touch screen". The one feature I really like is that all my music is alphabetized. On my 5th gen nano, any music not bought on iTunes was listed as "Unknown" so I would have to scroll all the way down, select "Unknown" and then select a song. Not so anymore.

The device is a little shorter than the 5th gen if that matters, but the video screen is wider.

The only down side is the wire connection to the computer was changed. The old wire had a 30 pin plug (I believe). This is about 1/2 that size. It's not a big deal other than I have to buy a second one for my work computer to be able to charge it at work.

I gave 4 stars because I've only had the device a few weeks so unless it completely breaks down, I'm very pleased.

One little tidbit about digital music, it's convenient and easy, but the music quality does suffer. Nothing will ever sound like a vinyl on a turntable and why they're actually making a bit of a comeback, but what can you do? It is what it is.
on June 14, 2013
The good:
• Ultra portable
• Bluetooth for headphones, heart rate monitors, etc.
• Voiceover to identify and select songs/playlists without looking at the screen
• Ability to control music (play, pause etc)
• Built-in pedometer

The bad:
• No friggin’ clip
• No earpods with controls
• Forced me to spend on add-ons

This lil gizmo is the greatest exercise enhancement ever (not hyperbole, I assure you). I got it mainly to listen to music while I exercise (run, lift weights, bike ride) and was so pleasantly surprised of all the features I did not know about.

It has a built in pedometer and now I use it all day long to track my activity - sort of like a fitbit or UP by Jawbone – even when I’m at work and am not listening to music.

It has Bluetooth which I knew about and promptly got a Bluetooth headset to enjoy workouts wire free. What I didn’t know was that the Bluetooth also works with a heart rate monitor. When I found out, I had to buy one. I started using the heart rate monitor almost all the time as well, again, as a daily activity tracker as well as when I exercise. I am now more active than I have been in the past decade. To me this unit is more versatile than the activity trackers mentioned above as the others cannot sync with add-ons that I know of and it tells you your progress through the headphones at certain intervals or on demand…and it plays music!

Now for the music part. I have an iPhone 5 and know that you can summon siri to tell you the song title and artist or even to play a certain playlist but I hate the fact that you had to ask out loud. To me, that’s just awkward and just not appropriate for some situations. Enter the Nano. This thing has voiceover which is activated when you press and hold the button between the volume buttons. If you continue holding past the song title/artist, it tells you the playlist titles which you can select by pressing once more. In other words, you can select playlists without ever looking at the Nano!!!

These controls work just like a set of headphones with a 3 button remote. This brings me to my next point. Why wouldn’t apple include a set of earpods with remote?! It would increase the flexibility of this unit so much. Not only would you be able to control your music by pressing the buttons on the unit, but also (and even more practically) be able to do so from the headphones. I know I can use my earpods that came with my iPhone 5 but it would have been nice to have those included. I mostly use the Bluetooth headphones, so it’s a moot point for me, but still.

My biggest gripe of all, though, is that they dropped the ball by removing the clip that the previous generation had. The clip allowed the older model to be worn in so many different ways and in so many different places like a shirt sleeve, shirt pocket, a watch, a hat. The omission of the clip makes using the multitude of functions on the Nano a challenge. If it’s placed in an armband, you can’t access Voiceover (though you can wake it up and look at the screen, I guess). If it’s placed in a pocket, you can’t access any controls whatsoever. One can control it with the earpods, but again, I use Bluetooth headphones.

By the way, I haven’t found a set of Bluetooth headphones that can control Voiceover. Anybody know of one?

In conclusion, if you bike ride, jog/run, are a gym rat, or just like listening to music while taking a walk, you definitely need one of these.

Oh, and it plays video…