Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: iLife '11: iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand (Apple Training Series)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 5, 2011
We just got an iMAC, our first Apple computer since my dad brought home an Apple IIe back in 1981. I wanted a MAC because of their reputation for being trouble free and easy to use. Well, not quite easy enough! I quickly realized while trying to make a DVD that I needed an instruction manual. Am I the only one who's irritated that these expensive pieces of electronic equipment no longer come with one? I purchased this in the Kindle version at a substantial discount over the paperback price, one of the few times I've saved a bundle buying something electronically (that's another pet peeve for another time). It's great! I open the book in a Kindle window and open the app in another. I read a little bit and then switch windows and try it out. The book is very clearly written and easy to follow for a newbie MAC user like myself. It's very helpful the book is in full color so the pictures and the diagrams are easy to follow. I only wish they had one for the rest of the computer. Any recommendations?
on August 27, 2012
I received Apple Training Series: iLife '11 quickly via UPS. Unfortunately I was unable to install the DVD that came with the book as I kept getting an error message. I went to the Peachpit web site, registered as a user and registered my purchase, filled out a problem form under the contact us stating the problem and that I was going to do a review on Amazon and would like to "fix" the problem before writing the review. It has been almost a week since I submitted my problem and besides the generic notice about heavy volume at this time of year have not received a solution. It shouldn't take any company more than a couple days to respond to customer issues. Even another email a couple days after submitting stating they are aware of the problem, etc... would have been nice.

Without the lesson files the book is useless. The book looks great but the company support is less than stellar. Actually at the time of this review I have not received any support at all. I need to note that i even tried it on a different iMac thinking my brand new iMac might have a problem. Same issue on the other iMac. Deeply disappointed and would be leery of buying any other book from Peachpit.
on March 9, 2012
UPDATED*
For starters I really like the idea of this book and the series along with it. But that is as far as that goes, because without the the necessary files you can't truly complete the book. So if you end up like me and the dvd wont installed the ATS iPhoto Library or Media Files, or even keeps timing out during installation read on..

Solution for retrieving missing files: OSX LION ONLY

1) Put DVD in Drive
2) Select the drive in the Finder
3) Select the Magnifying Glass aka "Spotlight" Icon in the upper corner of your screen
4) type "Terminal" and select it.
5) In Terminal type the following to SHOW Hidden Files

> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
> killall Finder

6) Go to your open drive from earlier
7) then youll see a folder called "media"
8) drag it to your desktop
9) after its done copying, drag each file where they belong

ATS iPhoto Library -> Pictures
iMovie Events and ect. -> Movies

10) HIDE hidden files again

> defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
> killall Finder
on January 14, 2013
Good as far as it goes, but the book needs updating. For example, Apple got rid of "Mobile Me" nearly two years ago, but the lesson on sending pix tells you how to upload to Mobile me rather than the Cloud. they ought at the very least have an Internet site where one could go after purchasing the book to get updates.
on January 13, 2013
Throughout my many years dealing with Amazon this is probably only the second time I've ever had a problem...but it's a big one. The whole purpose of this book is to learn the programs via the lesson files which my imac would not install. My computer met all of the system requirements so there was no problem there. But after inserting the disc I heard it spin, make a few sounds and then the disc got spat out within a minute. I then tried it on another computer and the same thing happened.

After reading some reviews on how a few other people made similar comments about the inability to install the lesson files and how numerous attempts to contact peach press were for not I feel it pointless for me to even attempt that route. Peachpit should really place a different code on every dvd rom so that when discs are unable to be read an individual can just go onto their website, insert the code and download the files for free since the book was already purchased. Sadly I'm gonna just return it as there's no point in keeping a book with an unreadable dvd.

AND this experience reminded me that I received it two weeks after it was scheduled to be delivered.
on February 22, 2011
I really like this training manual. I am slowly working through the exercises and learning quite a bit as I go. The enclosed CD has materials for exercises that fit an ordinary person's use of iLife '11. For example, several of the photo examples for the iPhoto section have the same kinds of problems that my own photos do. The exercises lead you "by the nose" which is exactly what I wanted from this manual. There are exercises in the manual which cover all of the iLife '11 applications. I am beginning to feel a lot more confident and comfortable using the iLife '11 applications.
on December 28, 2011
I attempted to install this product on both my iMac 27 and my Mac Book Pro. Both machines met systems requirements. On both machines the installation process terminated with the message "UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE OPERATION". I contacted Peach Pit via email (the only way, they don't provide phone support) and after several days received an email back saying that I would have to contact Apple. I contacted Apple and was told that ATS iLife 11 is not their product. They do not support it and that I would have to contact Peach Pit. So I am now awaiting my second round of emails from Peach Pit. I'm running Lion and I suspect that is making the difference.
on March 5, 2011
After buying a lot of books and manuals about ILife this way of learning is easy, step by step and leads everyone, also the dummies, to fabulous results in the big world of ILife 11
on January 2, 2012
Just what I wanted -- let me gain a good working knowledge of iMovie in a weekend so I could transfer that info to my studens.
on November 3, 2011
This books appears to be well written. But when i get to the second lesson it calls for pictures of the krupps family. lesson 2 states no files needed. Where are the Krupps family photos suppose to be.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse