YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services Gleason Gleason Gleason  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(4 star, Verified Purchases). See all 591 reviews
on June 6, 2011
I'd been using my iPhone as a running companion for a while, with it tucked into one of those neoprene sleeves that wrap around my arm. While it was a great way to have access to my music library there were enough issues that I encountered while I ran (bulky, hot, slipping, and no water resistance) that I decided to seek out something more portable. The Shuffle was an ideal solution to all of my issues. The clip easily attaches to my waistband and has never slipped off, unlike so many devices I've used in the past. The weight is almost nothing. At roughly the size of a quarter and weighing not much more, it would be easy to forget it was there if it wasn't pumping your favorite exercise tunes into your ears.

A big concern that I had, and probably the primary reason why I left my iPhone at home while I ran is that I moved to a rainy climate where I frequently find myself running in a drizzle, if not steady rain. I was afraid that the moisture would have fried my iPod, and it likely would have. Given how inexpensive the Shuffle is, I wasn't as concerned about the rain damaging it, so I was willing to test out its water resistance. It doesn't claim to be water resistant at all, but I figured that if it was sitting underneath my untucked shirt, it wasn't going to get that wet. I'm pleased to report that I've run in various degrees of rainy weather and the Shuffle just keeps on ticking. Only once did I encounter an issue when, mid-run, it started dumping. Absolute downpour, with some hail. Eventually, the sound started cutting out, so I threw the Shuffle in my pocket along with my headphones, and finished my run. When I got home, I put the Shuffle and the headphones into a bowl of dry rice to soak up the moisture, hoping that would work. And to my delight, everything was good as new for the next run.

As many people have pointed out, because it is so small, it is almost impossible to switch tracks or turn the volume up or down without pressing the big center button, which pauses the music. This is really not that big of a deal, as you just hit the center button again, and it starts playing. And I wouldn't dream of asking for greater separation of buttons if it meant that the unit had to be larger. Because the size is absolutely perfect.

The only other thing that has me missing my iPhone is that there are some great exercise apps that I would ordinarily use to track my route or my time that don't exist on the Shuffle. But that's a small complaint. All in all, the Shuffle is an absolutely indispensable companion for my runs.
on June 7, 2011
So this is a good buy, the price is unbeatable... the size is mind boggling small.. the sound quality is good... the battery life is astounding... i've never had it die on me ONCE. the voice feature is a little pointless but on occasion its come in handy.... the only two problems i have with it are... when you are trying to clip it to anything the designers didnt leave enough room for your to grip it without accidently hitting the skip track or repeat track button.. so that kinda sucks.. and there isnt a hold button..which is kinda an extension of the first problem i stated... but overall.. good buy.. and good times..
review image review image review image
on March 13, 2012
I bought this item after selling my iPhone to buy a secondhand iPad and needed a small, affordable music player for on the go.

My unit arrived with a loose play button and the back metal plate was popping up in the corner. Needless to say, I contact Amazon and they were AMAZING with my request for an exchange, like always. This is why I return to shop at Amazon. No hassle.... quick, prepaid return label... overnight Saturday shipping of the replacement iPod. The representative apologized and was knowledgable.m Can't ask for more.

On the other hand, I have always been lukewarm on Apple's quality control. The second unit actually arrived with a crooked clickwheel, but I will not bother with an exchange because it is such a minor issue. Apple quality is hit or miss- at least for me. I've had probably 50 Apple products over the years and I usually wind up having some quality control problem on my first purchase about 75% of the time. Perhaps I am simply unlucky! Bottom line- just check your items for any issues when they arrive and don't hesitate to contact Amazon if anything is wrong. You don't have to be afraid that you will have to justify your exchange, get a rep that doesn't understand you, or spend all day on the phone (you can speak with an Amazon associate any time of the day or night through online chat).

Anyway, once I manage to get an Apple product without manufacturing flaws, they are rivaled by no other. This is simply the best super small player you will find. The simplicity is what draws me. The iPod shuffle has one purpose- music. Absolutely no other features - no extraneous watch faces, internet browsers, photos app.... just music. You've got voiceover, which is a must have for a displayless iPod. The buttons are easy to remember for play, pause, ff, rewind.... but if anyone is used to using a 6th gen iPod nano,mthey may mistake the shuffle switch and voiceover buttons on top for volume buttons out of habit. Sound quality is absolutely astounding for a player this small! It is not tinny at all. Two things to note- I do wish the capacity was a bit larger than 2 GB, but not a huge deal. Also, it can get frustrating trying to open the clip. The clip's hinge is pretty strong and the device is a bit slippery... not to mention that it is almost impossible to open the clio without pressing the rewind or play pause button. I also wish the hinge of the clip was on the right side of the device rather than the left as I am right handed and instinctively go to press the wrong side every time I try to open the clip.

One hint for those who may not know- you can "lock" the buttons so that you don't accidently press them while working out or what have you. To do this, all you have to do is press and hold the play pause button until you hear a lock sound through the headphones (while the device is on of course). Your controls will now be locked until you repeat the process and hear the unlocking sound to unlock them.

Overall, I recommend this device for its convenient size, simplicty and amazing sound, barring a few minor annoyances with the clip and hit or miss assembly quality.
on November 13, 2010
This is the 2nd iPod I've bought after the Gen 2. I skipped buying the Gen 3 as I knew the earbud mounted controls were retarded.(I prefer over-the-ear earphones which prevented me from controlling the iPod) My only real complaint is more with iTunes than the iPod itself. I loved in Gen 2 versions that you can manually move the order of the songs around. With the Gen 4 you can't, so you're at the mercy of the alphabetical listings which sucks.
Other than that, the inadvertant pressing of buttons when using the clip and the short USB cord are completely manageable. The unit is so light that even if it falls it couldn't break, so it's durability shouldn't be an issue. I use it for running and gym work mostly and it's survived very well. Overall a very good MP3 player that I'm more than happy with.
on July 19, 2011
Bought the 3rd generation shuffle and it was the most frustrating thing ever! I love the 4th generation shuffle for its spartan quality but the main design flaw is that when you try to re-clip you end up pushing the buttons. It's annoying and you think Apple, the gods of innovation would have figured this out. Guess they figure if people hate it they will just buy another iPod. Cha Ching.
on November 8, 2011
I bought this specifically to use during workouts. It's great so far. It small, light, and easy to wear during exercise (running and rowing mostly). My fat fingers have a problem clipping it on my cloths without accidentally hitting the buttons (yeah I know, clip it on BEFORE I turn it on). The 2GB of storage is plenty for me. I was deciding between this and the new Nano and went with this one due to price mostly. My only real complaint about the device is the dang iTunes software. I'd much rather just drag and drop files onto the device rather than having to use iTunes to sync everything to it.
on August 4, 2011
To me, this product is a significant improvement from the last Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB Black (3rd Generation) OLD MODEL. The idea of having an iPod that small was very cool. In the end, new headphones were not cheap or as practical as the previous generation.

This product is smaller than the last Apple iPod shuffle 1 GB Silver (2nd Generation) OLD MODEL with buttons. The product seems to be as large as it is in order to accommodate button space. I also like this new shuffles (including Apple iPod shuffle 2 GB Black (3rd Generation) OLD MODEL) better because instead of a dock Apple went to a short USB corded that is much simpler (for my uses).

The only reason the product didn't get 5 stars is because every few times I use it will say the battery is low when it has plenty of battery (By The Way, it also physically tells you the battery is low through the headphones, pretty cool!). I tried Googling this, but it seems as if it is with my product alone and not a common issue. Since I only use for about 30 minutes at a time while I work out, it doesn't bother me anyway.

The Voice-Over Generation makes getting information about the songs and battery off a screen-less iPod easy and quick.

Overall, a great product for people who work out or are not picky about what song they are listening to, and a great price.

(Comes with cord and Apple earbud headphones)
on May 18, 2011
This is exactly what you would expect out of apple's products: practically bullit-proof construction, great user interface, and a trendy look. It holds 500 songs or 15 hours of playback and has a button deticated to telling you the artist name and song title, just in case you forgot. Overall, it is extremely simple and easy to use, great qualities for such a technological titan.

However, some design flaws stopped me from giving this a 5 star rating. when opening the clip to fasten to your shorts or shirt or what have you, it is hard not to press the buttons unless you consciously try not to do so. This also may be to the fact that the clip is pretty strong. this is good so it will not fall off, but it just makes it difficult sometimes. Also, for those absent-minded people like myself, it is easy to forget you have this thing attached to you. I have washed 2 of these (but one still worked after) and ran one over with my truck after it fell off without me knowing. So, that is something to remember.

That being said, my favorite design of the shuffle was the second generation shuffle. it was a clip design just like this one, just a little longer which made the clip easier to use.

However, for the money and a 2gb harddrive, i will overlook the minor flaws and call this an excellent ipod. I use this for the gym and it suits that purpose excellent.
on June 5, 2012
I am very pleased with my new iPod Shuffle. The sound quality is very good, it is small enough to clip onto my collar and it is very easy to load songs onto it. The only problem is with the belt clip. You cannot press the belt clip open without also repeating a song. The small size makes it impossible to not press the repeat area while pressing open the clip. Other than that it is a wonderful product and am enjoying it.
on February 22, 2015
People rag on this generation shuffle, but it has really worked out for me. I use it for three things: jogging, the gym, and swimming. Yes, swimming! I bought a waterproof unit that is designed for this model and it works like a charm. The shuffle fits into this tiny waterproof encasing that fits onto my goggles, and the headphones are waterproof. Makes swimming laps about 1000% better than before. The great thing about this shuffle is with a minimum of buttons, I can go forward, backward, change the volume, and find out what song I'm listening to, without ever touching the unit. And it's TINY.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.