Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services RestaurantPV RestaurantPV RestaurantPV  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Metallica Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Style: 13-Inch Laptops & Under|Change

Showing 1-10 of 283 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 27, 2012
I have more of a gripe with the "old version" AppleCare sold through Amazon, where I wrote a review as well, but I also had trouble with this "new version": an incredible hassle, at least when purchased through sellers in the Marketplace.

First, importantly, while Amazon is an authorized Apple retailer, sellers in Amazon's Marketplace are not. This means Apple does not have to honor the purchase. There is no official "old" and "new" version by Apple, it's Amazon's lingo only. When I thought I was ordering the "new", hassle-free version (where you can register quickly online), I received instead the "old version" which requires a lot of time on the phone with Apple, who -- again -- don't need to honor the purchase because it's not authorized. I had to return to seller.

Second, you can get AppleCare legitimately and for less money at authorized retailers. Check out B&H Photo in NYC and online [...]. I paid $190 and registered online the same day.

Third, I've had trouble ordering the "old version" from the Marketplace as well. Many sellers don't know the difference, and may not care about the hassle they're roping you into. The short of it: For AppleCare, stay away from Amazon.
1111 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2015
Item as described. The registered code number inside the box is valid for MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). I am glad I purchased this extended protection plan because usually after manufacture warranty expired it can cost a lot of money to get it fix if something wrong to the MacBook Pro. I would recommend this to everyone.
review image
on May 25, 2016
This review is about the product received: AppleCare, purchased through Amazon, from a 3rd party seller, used on a new Macbook Pro 2015 (purchased in 2016).
I'll answer the main questions: "what does the product look like?" and "does it work as expected?" Assuming you wanted to purchase AppleCare (I'm not saying whether or not every user needs to purchase it), this is a reputable method to purchase it. You can purchase this product from Apple, on Amazon, and at some authorized Apple Resellers. As far as I've found, the prices are locked in the Apple Resellers and from Apple, but on Amazon the price can be lower (which is a win for the consumer).

WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
Item arrived in a bubble mailer, undamaged. Item was shrink wrapped and presumably unopened. Inside was a booklet explaining AppleCare and a small card with the "Registration Number" printed on it. (You'll need this part)

DOES IT WORK AS EXPECTED?
To register, click the "apple" at the top left of your mac, go to "about this mac", go to "service", and then there is an option regarding AppleCare (at the time of this review it said, "Tell me more about the AppleCare protection plan". From there, you'll sign in, then click through to register an AppleCare on a device, then enter in the Registration Number, the Serial Number of your laptop (go to the "apple" again, "about this mac") and your other details. Note: On the product I received, there was a serial number printed on the box. That number isn't valid. You enter the Serial Number of your laptop (see directions above). (If you don't, you'll end up on the phone with Apple for 30min trying to figure it out). Check to receive electronic confirmation and you'll get an email confirming that. Mine said:

"Thank you for registering your AppleCare Protection Plan.

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 13-INCH,EARLY 2015)
Serial Number (your serial number)
Agreement Number (your agreement number)
You should receive your Proof of Coverage within 10 business days via postal mail.

Some reviewers had mentioned receiving "old" versions or Canadian versions of AppleCare. I recommend you pick from a reputable vendor, preferably one Fulfilled by Amazon (with free return shipping if the seller was in error) in case you get a defective product & have to mail it back for a refund.

Easy as. Whole registration process should take you less than 5min. Enjoy
review image review image review image
on March 22, 2012
Did quite a bit of research before I bought the Apple Care Protection through Amazon....I even contacted Apple to make sure this product would be honored by them.
According to Apple, Amazon is registered to sell Apple products.
Bought the Apple Care Protection for my 15" MacBook Pro (latest version) at a savings of $64, Apple wants $349.
After I received the box, I registered it through Apples web site and within 10 minutes I got a email stating my warranty was extended!
I recommend this product and purchasing it through Amazon.
on July 12, 2011
I always buy AppleCare for my MacBook Pro computers. I had heard that AppleCare is less on Amazon, so that's where I bought it. There was not problem registering it with Apple over the telephone. When I first tired to register it online, a copy of my receipt was requested. I stopped that process and called Apple and they didn't need anything but the serial number of my MBP. A good deal.
on May 15, 2014
Have a 15" macbook pro retina. THis is for the physical apple care box with the code inside, and not for an instant code via email. Either way if you have prime it is not a big deal. If you have a retina macbook pro you need to get apple care considering a simple repair can cost you upwards of $600.

My prior macbook I did not get apple care because I could replace most of the parts myself, with these retina macbooks you really want to get the applecare just in case.

Edit 6/7/16:

I got my MacbookPro 15.4" retina repaired for a track pad and screen issue. The total repair cost would have been $1,100. I am extremely happy I bought the apple care.
on January 2, 2016
Always a good idea for expensive purchases, especially ones with something as fragile as a LCD displays. This laptop is going to be used by a college student. It WILL be abused.

I do think it is over-priced, which is why it loses a star. BUT, Apple has USUALLY been really good about any insurance needs that have come up.

On the downside, getting any help from Apple if you don't have AppleCare is horrible. I had a wi-fi radio problem with my iPhone after a software update. This really should have been taken care of by Apple since it was definitely a manufacturing problem - one that had plenty of coverage on the Internet by others with the same problem, so I definitely wasn't making it up - and they refused to help at all, so I had to use a phone for two years that had no wi-fi, since the software update overwrote the firmware so I couldn't go back to a previous version of iOS.
on May 31, 2014
I rarely purchase extended warranties. Apple's products are very well made and you don't often need warranty service. But hard drives go bad. RAM goes bad. Screens go bad. Stuff happens. Just replacing any one of those, especially now that most of those components are no longer "User Replaceable" is so expensive that the coverage from AppleCare would pay for itself with one component failure.

PLUS, if you need some sort of tech support, you have it for three years now instead of 90 days. You may not need tech support. You might be pretty computer savvy. But every year Apple updates their operating system. Things don't always go smoothly and you may need Apple's tech support to help you iron out a kink. If you are on your second or third year with your computer and you have an issue during an upgrade, you won't have the help you may need without AppleCare.

PLUS...AppleCare is fully transferable. It's linked to the computer's serial number, not the owner's name. If you're like me and decide to sell your 1 or 2 year old computer to buy the newest, latest, and greatest, it is so much easier to sell if the buyer knows that they will get a year or two of warranty and tech support for it.

Buying it here on Amazon at a price much discounted than buying it from Apple, makes it pretty much a no brainer.
on December 29, 2013
This is insurance - and hopefully you don't have to use it. However, there are a lot of issues that have been reported with the new retina MBP models (13 and 15) including creaking chassis, screens that have a great deal of yellow tint or uneven back-lighting and there is still some image retention issues. Some of these symptoms are non-existent for some, and for others, they have gone through 5-6 units before finding one that meets their personal requirements. The issue is that these issues can creep up well after your 1 year warranty expires and the most recent retina MBPs are no longer user friendly to replace parts (e.g. RAM soldered to motherboard).

Apple repairs are VERY expensive if you are not covered - so AppleCare is a no brainer for your expensive rMBP. It is expensive, but this vendor had it much cheaper than Apple and the registration worked fine for me - no issues and all legitimate. Ultimately it is up to you if you want to spend the $$ for the insurance, and in most cases I don't get extended warranties - but for my new 15'' retinal MBP - I like the comfort of knowing I am protected for 3 years with Apple's excellent customer service.
on August 27, 2015
WORKED FOR MY MACBOOK PRO 13.3 INCH WITH RETINA DISPLAY (MID-2014). WHAT A DEAL! This was a great find! Don't fall for the geniuses and me zipped $250! Quick and easy online set up took only a couple minutes and BOOM! My computer was completely covered. Brought it to the Apple Store to check the battery life after a year and they did some fixing and I WASN'T CHARGED! A new mother board costs upwards of $600 dollars so getting the warranty is a safe and money saving bet!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.