Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 15, 2015
Item as described. The registered code number inside the box is valid for MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). I am glad I purchased this extended protection plan because usually after manufacture warranty expired it can cost a lot of money to get it fix if something wrong to the MacBook Pro. I would recommend this to everyone.

I just send in my macbook pro to an authorized apple center for a repair service. The screen on my macbook shown fade colors and ring around the screen. Apple replace the screen install OS software. Conclusion I think this apple care warranty is very value to consumers.
review image
on May 31, 2014
I rarely purchase extended warranties. Apple's products are very well made and you don't often need warranty service. But hard drives go bad. RAM goes bad. Screens go bad. Stuff happens. Just replacing any one of those, especially now that most of those components are no longer "User Replaceable" is so expensive that the coverage from AppleCare would pay for itself with one component failure.

PLUS, if you need some sort of tech support, you have it for three years now instead of 90 days. You may not need tech support. You might be pretty computer savvy. But every year Apple updates their operating system. Things don't always go smoothly and you may need Apple's tech support to help you iron out a kink. If you are on your second or third year with your computer and you have an issue during an upgrade, you won't have the help you may need without AppleCare.

PLUS...AppleCare is fully transferable. It's linked to the computer's serial number, not the owner's name. If you're like me and decide to sell your 1 or 2 year old computer to buy the newest, latest, and greatest, it is so much easier to sell if the buyer knows that they will get a year or two of warranty and tech support for it.

Buying it here on Amazon at a price much discounted than buying it from Apple, makes it pretty much a no brainer.
on December 29, 2013
This is insurance - and hopefully you don't have to use it. However, there are a lot of issues that have been reported with the new retina MBP models (13 and 15) including creaking chassis, screens that have a great deal of yellow tint or uneven back-lighting and there is still some image retention issues. Some of these symptoms are non-existent for some, and for others, they have gone through 5-6 units before finding one that meets their personal requirements. The issue is that these issues can creep up well after your 1 year warranty expires and the most recent retina MBPs are no longer user friendly to replace parts (e.g. RAM soldered to motherboard).

Apple repairs are VERY expensive if you are not covered - so AppleCare is a no brainer for your expensive rMBP. It is expensive, but this vendor had it much cheaper than Apple and the registration worked fine for me - no issues and all legitimate. Ultimately it is up to you if you want to spend the $$ for the insurance, and in most cases I don't get extended warranties - but for my new 15'' retinal MBP - I like the comfort of knowing I am protected for 3 years with Apple's excellent customer service.
on November 1, 2014
The Apple Care Protection Plan offered by Amazon is the same as it is from the Apple Store -- only cheaper. In the past I'd bought the AppleCare Protection Plan from Amazon and installed it at home without a hitch. However, this time I had a problem, and had to take it to the Apple Store for help. I printed out my Amazon Invoice and brought it with me, and the tech installed it for me with no problem. I suspect that there are probably bootleg copies of the plan floating around, and Apple may be extra-sensitive about installations. However, since I had proof of purchase from an authorized reseller (Amazon), they were happy to install it (if you live too far from a Apple store, they likely would talk you through it on the phone as long as you have POP. And many people purchase from Amazon and install at home with no problem -- this is not a universal issue.)
Remember to save all your paperwork, and purchase and install AppleCare before the first year is up. Apple used to be more flexible -- you could walk in with an 18-mo old Mac with a major problem, and they'd sell you AppleCare and cover it -- but not anymore. And Apple isn't what it used to be -- major hardware problems crop up in the first two years with far more frequency than they used to (after failing on four attempts to repair my MacBook Pro, Apple actually had to replace it)-- so AppleCare should be considered the cost of doing business, and not an "extra".
on November 25, 2014
I ordered the protection with just days to go before the first year was up. But the Prime delivery was on time and I registered without incident. Here's a few things that someone else may want to know.

1. The protection covers the 13" MacBook Pro Retina model. The fact that it covers Retina is not made clear in the product description.

2. When I received the Amazon purchase confirmation email it said "Your protection plan service agreement will be sent via a separate e-mail by your seller." The protection I purchased was sold by Amazon so it wasn't clear what the "seller" reference meant. But worse, it made it sound like I would receive the agreement or at least the registration number in an email. I received no such email. I did receive a physical box on the day promised and that had the registration ID. Now having completed the entire process I think it means that when you get the registration information delivered and then register you can get the confirmation in an email which is what happened. See next item.

3. By going to the Apple web address that came in the boxed instructions I was able to navigate to the Apple page where I entered my registration id and the serial number of my MacBook. No problems encountered. The completion message said I would be sent a Protection Plan Certificate by regular mail or email--the choice was mine. I chose email and the certificate arrived within about 10 minutes.

It was a bit nerve racking for me because I let it go until the last minute. If there was a glitch that would have been a problem. There were no glitches in the end and I am a happy camper.
33 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2016
Always a good idea for expensive purchases, especially ones with something as fragile as a LCD displays. This laptop is going to be used by a college student. It WILL be abused.

I do think it is over-priced, which is why it loses a star. BUT, Apple has USUALLY been really good about any insurance needs that have come up.

On the downside, getting any help from Apple if you don't have AppleCare is horrible. I had a wi-fi radio problem with my iPhone after a software update. This really should have been taken care of by Apple since it was definitely a manufacturing problem - one that had plenty of coverage on the Internet by others with the same problem, so I definitely wasn't making it up - and they refused to help at all, so I had to use a phone for two years that had no wi-fi, since the software update overwrote the firmware so I couldn't go back to a previous version of iOS.
on May 15, 2014
Have a 15" macbook pro retina. THis is for the physical apple care box with the code inside, and not for an instant code via email. Either way if you have prime it is not a big deal. If you have a retina macbook pro you need to get apple care considering a simple repair can cost you upwards of $600.

My prior macbook I did not get apple care because I could replace most of the parts myself, with these retina macbooks you really want to get the applecare just in case.

Edit 6/7/16:

I got my MacbookPro 15.4" retina repaired for a track pad and screen issue. The total repair cost would have been $1,100. I am extremely happy I bought the apple care.
on June 17, 2012
Updated Review - October 2014:

Just purchased this warranty again for my mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro. Amazon has the best price I've seen for this coverage. Amazon's price is currently $244.00 and you'll pay Apple $349.00 for this exact same protection plan. It's a no-brainer to purchase this coverage from Amazon.

Original Review - June 2012:

After having to have the logic board replaced on my first MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago (an early 2008 MacBook Pro), I swore that I would always have the extended AppleCare protection on my MacBook Pros. I had it on the 2008 machine, and the repair would've cost me nearly $800 if I hadn't had it. I also had the SuperDrive replaced and got at least two new batteries under the extended AppleCare protection. Without it, I would've paid somewhere north of $1,200 for hardware and labor during the three years I had that laptop.

Sure, it seems like kind of a punch in the gut to have to pay $300-$350 for an extended warranty after you spend over $2,000 on a laptop; but I'd rather pay the initial extra fee for the extended AppleCare sometime within the first year of having the laptop as opposed to potentially having to shell out hundreds and hundreds more over the life of the machine. Maybe you'll get lucky and never need to use it; but I baby my machines and the bottom line is that electronic components can and will fail at a moment's notice no matter how well you take care of your equipment.
on June 19, 2017
Who doesn't love AppleCare! AppleCare is Apple's warranty program that covers a variety of problems if you Apple decided to die/crap out on you... thus being a "bad apple".

All you do is register the warranty through the card enclosed and your product will be covered during the duration of your plan. I have used mine many times after dropping my computer, spilling water on it, etc. Strongly recommend getting a plan though AppleCare instead of Best Buy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2017
This is NOT the same product offered via Apple for $269. Apple sells AppleCare+, while this is simply AppleCare, which is not even offered via Apple for the 13" MacBook Pro.