Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 25, 2015
This is fun....for about the first two times playing it. There's just not enough to the game and although it comes with hundreds of cards, we found lots of duplicates. So we kept doing the same ones over which was boring. The game is easy for kids to play and understand but just too simple to be fun long term.
on November 21, 2011
What is the difference between Apples to Apples the regular version and this Apples to Apples Junior? It appears that the main difference is in the types of proper names & pop culture. The words in Apples to Apples Junior are not super simple, they have a very wide variety of vocabulary words, but they don't have as many references to politicians or movie stars - the types of things younger kids would not be aware of. There are still proper names, but they are more kid friendly, like Spiderman or The Statue of Liberty.

Apples to Apples is a party game, it really is for 4 or more people, and in this case it is better with more. There are two types of cards, red and green. The green cards contain adjectives (e.g. calm, bold, silly). The red cards contain nouns or actions (e.g. glass, hamsters, Superman). One person acts as the judge, they flip over a green card and reveal the adjective. Everyone else has red cards in their hand, from those cards they have to pick the card they think best fits the trait listed on the green card. They all place their cards face down and the judge mixes them up then turns them over. The judge then gets to decide which word best fits the adjective. The person whose card that is wins the green card. You play until one person reaches a certain number of cards. The person who won the card then acts as the judge the next time.

What makes this game so much fun is that you have a limited number of choices of cards in your hands, so you often don't quite have the best match, so sometimes the matches are really silly. The judge is under no obligation to pick the card based on the definition - sometimes the funniest combo wins. It's also fun to try to subtly (or not so subtly for kids) influence the judge to pick your own card without giving it away.

Each adjective card has several synonyms listed on it. So if the child isn't familiar with the word they can figure it out from the synonyms listed. It's great for building vocabulary. The red cards have little sayings related to the words as well. My kids like to read out each card as they turn it over.

The rules are very simple to understand, but the cards do not have any pictures or anything to indicate what the card is to a child who can't read. My son is a very early reader and we got frustrated playing with him because he had to have the cards read to him constantly and since the cards are supposed to be a secret (so the judge doesn't know) this makes it very difficult. So I would say this is definitely a game for a child who can read at least somewhere around those step 3 readers. However, as long as everyone can read, this is a great game to play with kids and adults, since as I said above the only difference with the adult version is the references to proper nouns.

We've had a great time playing this game, both with the kids and the regular game with groups of adults. A lot of laughs always results and I feel like its reinforcing good vocabulary in the kids as well.
11 comment| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2018
What we liked:

We played this across four generations of family at Christmas. Everyone can play and there was a lot of laughter around the table.

Downside: this game sort of presumes that everyone is aware of current culture: many references to Harry Potter, Star Wars, Paw Patrol, pop singers, etc. This tends to leave out some people.

All in all, I would say that most families can have fun with regular “Apples to Apples” and don’t need this version.

If the kids in your family watch a lot of tv then they may prefer this Junior version.

I have a feeling these pop culture references will be stale pretty soon. The red box Apples to Apples is a better game.
on August 14, 2016
Once they even start to read they can play Apples to Apples! The funny, simple, card game makes a great addition to your family game night! While the game recommends 9+, with a little bit of help most younger kids could join in the fun. The biggest challenge if for kids to know the various cultural references on the cards. while some are simple (bananas, Mickey Mouse) others are a bit more dated, (Hanna Montana etc.) The combination of cards can still get a little "off color", but not nearly as often as the adult version of the game.

As some other reviewers have commented it works best in larger groups, but don't despair if you want to play as a family of 4, just play the invisible player variant. Simply add one additional green card off the top of the deck. Sometimes this random one won't fit at all, other times it might just win! The extra card really helps to add a little variety to the game.
on June 5, 2017
I love this game, even as an adult. I purchased it for my 9-year-old niece for her birthday and she was very excited to receive it. Funny enough, she has no idea she'll be learning the entire time she plays it! Each card describes the word and helps players learn new vocabulary and the type of word it is (adverb, noun, etc). It's always a hoot to play with a group and see what people come up with - but since it's the Junior version, you don't have to worry about "adult topics," which I'm not interested in with my family group. Love this game!!
on August 28, 2017
Having played cards against humanity which is based off of this I was surprised to see how different this game was. While the part of having to explain/sell your answer is the part that makes this game interesting you lose the anonymity aspect of the game. My daughter of 8 saw the adults playing the game and was very excited to get a version she could play with us, this game did not fulfill the hole. I know this is the junior version, but I still think they could have come up with phrases for the game play instead of single word topic and answer cards.
on September 1, 2016
My kids recently discovered apples to apples but often didn't know what the words in the original version even referred to. They are 5 and 8 and love to play so I knew this would be a welcome investment.
The description words (green cards) are all excellent. The nouns (red cards), on the other hand, I'm slightly disappointed with. I sorted through and ended up taking out 41 of the cards I felt were irrelevant or inappropriate for my family. Most of them were about specific Disney channel characters my kids have no clue about. I'm sure there are plenty of kids who do know the characters. I would simply have preferred those cards switched out for more universal nouns or for historical characters even. That would certainly up the educational factor.
Overall, my kids love the game and it's nice to have a word set they understand better.
on December 29, 2017
Love this game! Got it for my 10 year old nephew and he loved it. Very appropriate kid topics. Some I needed to be educated on because I was not familiar with the characters or now common shows. LOL My 5 year old nephew loved playing it too (we had to help him read the cards though).
on January 6, 2014
I came across this game while looking at the list of bestseller board games. We don't have older kids at home, but I still went ahead and bought this instead of the Adults version because we don't stay in America/Europe and I was worried that the Adults version may have things/places/people/words that we won't be able to relate to. I don't know about the Adults version, but boy, we had absolute blast playing this game in a group of 6 adults.

The concept is quite simple. Everybody gets 5 red cards and they must choose a red card which matches with the green card on the table. For example, once we had a green card that said "Expensive" and I chose a red card that said "Superman". Now my job was to convince the judge (each player takes a turn to be a judge) why I think "Superman" is the most "Expensive" thing in the world - LOL. It can get quite imaginative and interesting as everyone tries to convince the judge with their own red cards.
on January 3, 2017
We have the original Apples to Apples game and my kids( ages 10-14) really didn't get a lot of the words and actors and what not in that game. A little over their head. Now my husband and I got it cause a lot of that stuff was in our days when we were young. We ended up getting the Jr version and it is just perfect!!! Couldn't have been more pleased. More current things in it: Star Wars, Disney channel, videos games and what not related stuff.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.