Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 24, 2017
Great read for those conversant in C# and perhaps object-oriented language. Take time to read in-depth to capture this material.
on September 4, 2008
I have come back to this book after first digging into it when it first came out. At that time, I got bogged down and never really made it very far into the book. Here's why: A reader needs a basic conceptual familiarity with DDD before tackling this book. I'd suggest Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software and Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture (Addison-Wesley Signature Series). You might be able to get a running start by reading the free e-book "Domain Driven Design Quickly" ([...] but the Fowler book is particularly helpful, since it catalogs and explains a number of the patterns used in Nilsson's book.

Don't assume this book is outdated because it uses NHibernate instead of LINQ or the ADO Entity Framework. If you are a true DDD developer, neither product is quite 'there' yet, and NHibernate remains the best ORM framework available. And if the Entity Framework does become a viable ORM product in Version 2, the skills taught in this book should transfer easily.

In short, this book presents a really good nuts-and-bolts approach to explaining how to do DDD, but it assumes you already have a pretty good understanding of what DDD is all about.
on September 23, 2008
I really enjoyed reading this book. Jimmy has a very conversational writing style. He will show some code, talk about the pros and cons, make a change, talk about that change and repeat until he has something he is satisfied with. This was very helpful to me as it demonstrated that he has gone through the same growing process that we all need to take as software developers. He is not lecturing from a tower; he is a common programmer who has be able to develop some excellent techniques through research and experience working with others who also seek to be the best they can. His examples are clear and meaningful. He shows how you can actually use TDD to grow a domain model, which is something that has certainly been lacking from other resources I have used in the past. I read the book because I feel like my dev team needs a better focus and I am now more convinced that DDD and TDD will help us focus on creating maintainable code for our enterprise.
on May 22, 2016
Good
1 helpful vote
on June 12, 2008
I like the author's modesty (very often his sentences start with "I think"), his rational thinking and his quoting the relevant big guys. He uses a very nice and simple language throughout the book which makes it an easy read. But sometimes, he is dragging on a subject for too long, for that I have to give it 4.5 stars.
on January 27, 2008
The book provides a massive detailed walk through the construction of the domain-driven framework creation. It is in Jimmy Nilsson's conversational tone and that makes the book very interesting.

I do wish there were a few diagrams to tie each chapter together, but that is for the reader to do.
on July 12, 2007
This is really an exellent book on DDD, I read soon after the Evans book and I must admit that is really worth money I spent on it. Sure the book is not for beginners, and it is not an introduction to DDD, I think that a background on the subject is needed to fully appreciate this book.

Alk.
on October 17, 2007
Read fowler's and Evan's, the book is very good but it is an extension of books of the two authors. So, to understand it completely it is better to read those before.

I have not read the books that this is based but I have enjoyed it a lot.
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 28, 2013
So far I have just passed half way and I loved every page.
I wish I had more time to go through it faster.

It is very well explained and the author has a good sense of humor.
on February 19, 2013
The book gives a good understanding of applying the ideas from Eric Evan's classic book im a light and sometimes playful way. Recommended.