Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on April 16, 2015
I am an attorney and am responsible for keeping confidential files. Sometimes I need to take these files with me, and this device is great for doing that. I am always worried about client and opposing party information should my briefcase be lost or stolen, and this device gives me great peace of mind---when it works. I have purchased a few of these so far because they keep breaking. For some reason, every now and then, these guys just stop understanding my password. I use a pretty easy-to-remember six digit password, so it's not me forgetting the password. For some reason, a number of these have just plain stopped working. That said, I like these enough so that I just keep a backup one, and when one stops working, I buy another. If these were just more reliable I would give the product five stars. It relatively easy to operate, and I feel the data is indeed secure. The drive doesn't even show up until I enter my password. So, overall, I like the product when it works.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2010
This drive does work like it says: strong encryption (128 is enough), well-built, and fairly easy to use.

Here are the comments that buyers should consider: the drive does not include an owner's manual, which is weird because one exists--I found it online at the company website. It includes a single-sheet instruction for setting passwords. I had no problem doing this, but then became baffled when I was done using the drive and wanted to re-lock it. It seems nobody had bothered to demonstrate this...not the instruction sheet, not the youtube product videos, not even the manual. They go as far as showing you how to unlock and use the drive, but leave it to the user to figure out the rest. There isn't a "lock" button, for example. You have to eject the drive (using the clumsy "eject secure drive" function in Windows, or drag-and-eject in Mac), and then physically unplug the drive USB. when you re-plug it, it's locked (and my Mac responds to the drive every time with the "unrecognized hardware: initialize, eject, or ignore" popup). You could simply eject the drive and leave it physically plugged, too, but again--nobody tells you this. You have to figure it out for yourself.

The drive is moderately fast, but not blazing. It doesn't feel flimsy, and the buttons seem well-constructed (I was worried they'd be cheap and might make drive use clumsy, but they're not).
on February 11, 2010
I prefer the Apricon series of portable hard drives because they are lighter and smaller than the competition, and always work with USB power only. The Apricorn Padlock drive is a great addition to collection, because it provides very easy to use protection against someone stealing my data if the drive is lost while traveling. The built-in hardware encryption is a snap to use, and does not slow down data transfer, at least as far as I have been able to determine.
on April 22, 2017
Like it. Easy to use. Easy to unlock. Very useful for basic needs like i have. Secure and safe to use. Looks like it was made to survive.
on February 13, 2014
I have a number of these drives and just love them. They are a safe, easy way to do offsite backups. I rotate them by day, pop one out, toss it in my purse, pop another in, enter my password and we're up and running. I feel quite secure carrying the data with the hardware encryption. I've gone thru a couple Buffalo external hard drive failures in the past 5 years but not one of the Apricorns have given me any trouble. So when I had to replace the big Buffalo network drive, I went to the Apricorn big brother Aegis Desktop 3TB 256-bit Encryption USB 3 Hard Drive for my next network drive.
on April 23, 2012
I have a lot of files i need to back up like family photos, videos and some music, the reason i got this was to store financial info and also account passwords, i have all my accounts and income info too, at first i just had them on my computer, but i never felt safe just having them there, with this the device wont even register unless you put the pin in first,that way you cant hack into it if you cant access without the password. Peace of mind is what i paid for and that what i got, def worth the investment.
on April 8, 2010
I was impressed with this hard drive at first by after 3 weeks the access code wouldn't work because of a product malfunction. Contacted the manufacturer who admitted they have had this same problem in other units. Nothing can be done to access the data. Lost everything! They offered to replace it but I told them forget it, too late now I lost everything I had on it which was quite considerable. I would never buy another one.
on May 28, 2013
Just looking through my old Amazon purchases, I see that I had failed to review the Apricorn 500 GB 256-bit encrypted hard drive I purchased in early 2010. Many other reviewers have covered the features, so I'll simply say that mine has been in constant (nearly daily) use since I purchased it, and it's never given me a problem. I recommend them every time I talk to someone about secure backups or data transport.
on March 4, 2016
Works well, but there is problem, if you are not active it's shuts down in 10 minutes, then you have eject and start to sign on again.
on October 11, 2014
Great option to carry or maintain confidential documents. Works exactly as described. Great design.