Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 100 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 108 reviews
on September 11, 2012
I have five of these, and all are working fine. There is no noticeable performance loss due to encryption. From a NAS to the USB 3.0 Padlock I've seen burst speeds of 100MBytes/sec. (800Mbits/sec.), then it settles down to a steady 62 Mega Bytes per second. I've transferred a 2.6 GigaByte movie file in about 40 seconds.

The Positive:
1. Because there's no software to install, it works with media players and should work anywhere you use a standard USB hard drive. I keep kid's movies on a standard drive, and my movies on the Padlock. No need to worry about the kids watching R-rated movies when I'm not around!

2. Multiple passwords allow up to ten persons to enter their own password using the alpha-numeric keys. This is very convenient if you want to use your Windows password to access the drive. All other encryption devices I have tried allow only one user password or have only numeric keys. A separate Administrator password allows you to delete or add other user's passwords.

3. Low power consumption - I have been able to use the drive on every computer or media player I have without the provided Y-power cable.

What it won't do - the down side:
1. Although you can have multiple passwords, all users access the same data on the drive. It would be a real plus if file access could be controlled by which password is entered.

2. Rebooting your computer locks the drive even though power is never removed from the drive. I have a remote office and I do a lot of work using remote desktops. Occasionally I need to reboot the remote computer, and with this drive the data is inaccessible after the reboot. For me, this is a "deal breaker" and I need to stay with software encryption on a standard hard drive. It would be nice to have an optional software program to lock and unlock the drive.
1414 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2016
I originally put this in as a 1 star because the product did not work out of the box. They symptom was after entering the security code the drive would disconnect after about 10 minutes of non-usage. It is a Windows 10 problem and after filling out the form at [...] support replied with the answer to fix the problem. Since then, the product has been working as designed. I would give this a five star for product as it is working as advertised, but the Apricorn web site has an FAQ without this information. It should be there. I lost a day reading all the problems on the internet with Windows 10 and usb drives and found the solution myself before their support organization could reply (they did reply within 24 working hours).

The link is here in case it helps save you some time. It does involve modifying some Windows registry settings - Windows 10 is a fiasco:

[...]

Cheers

- Pete
on February 20, 2017
I have purchased three of these devices and they are excellent. I waited for months before I began this review because I wanted to test the devices to see that they really worked as represented. They do, and they are easy to program. No need to encrypt every file, or even any file. Just copy to this device and be done with it. I am "elderly" and don't have many years left, and I used this to keep records and information that my executor and children will need when that time comes knowing that such sensitive information will be safe and secure. I keep their devices updated and current and they remain safe in their custody with their own nine digit password. This was a great edition to my record keeping and I strongly recommend it. A great value. Throw those flash drives away.
on May 6, 2017
These are the best drives, for what they do. I work in industrial control systems security, and these are my go to drives. The speeds are great, for a spinning disk. But lots of drives do that, what I really like is build quality and the way the buttons work. This is all physical, so unlike other devices, no LCDs to break. The hard rubber case takes a beating and I never worry about it in the plant or in my bag traveling across the country. This also boots quite nicely and unlike software encrypted drives, it is usable as a source for backups when booting with backup/image software. I've used it on systems from Windows 2000 to embedded xp to server 2012 with no issues. It simply just works each and every time.
on July 12, 2017
I like the notion of this. My drive appeared to be working fine except I couldn't perform full image backups in Windows to it. Seemed to work OK for files. After 3 weeks worth of back and forth with Microsoft, Dell and ultimately Apricorn, it was concluded that the drive is borderline defective. Tech support is good and is facilitating replacement. At the core of the 2 TB model is Seagate which I really don't trust a whole lot. Specifically the model number is ST2000LM015. My understanding is that the lower capacity drives use Western Digital which I've found to have a better reliability track record. I may adjust this rating up or down depending on how quickly this ultimately gets resolved and whether or not I have issues with the replacement. I really like the portability and security of this little unit. Just need an uptick on reliability. It seems that Apricorn only has 1 support tech but he is really helpful and the fact that he's responsive suggests to me that he's not overwhelmed with problem drives. So mine is probably just an anomaly. Hope to uptick this review!

------------------------------------------
Updated: I increased from 3 stars to 4 stars as the Manufacturer did a cross ship for me. Still a little concerned that my original drive was defective but SMART didn't pick it up and it only behaved defectively under certain situations (i.e. large backups). Brandon in support was always responsive and professional. Still prefer Western Digital drives over Seagate. Another thing to be aware of is that the instructions on the site are not complete or accurate for this unit. You may want to reach out to support to get the complete and accurate manual. You can't rely on a google search to give you the right manual. They may look right, but they aren't.
on March 20, 2017
Had to download and install some software to allow the Padlock to function on my laptop. The good news was the tech support was quick to respond to the issue. The Padlock itself is very good. Worked fine on my desktop without any patches. Easy and very practical to use. I purchased the 500 GB and my use barely registers. I've used other encrypted flash drives where you had to save the updated file somewhere else and drag the file onto the flash drive. With the Padlock, you open, update, save - so convenient.
on September 6, 2015
It's pretty much common knowledge now to back up your computer and your files on/from various devices. However, it's not common knowledge that you should also be protecting the hard drive you save/back up your files to. With this, it's easy enough to encrypt the drive in a flash, and decrypt it quickly as well. It's nice to know that not only is your data backed up and safe from computer crashes, but also safe from your hard drive being lost or taken. Great buy.
on August 20, 2016
I'm a big encryption guy, and when i saw this thing i almost cried. Works perfectly.

To those who are seeking more encryption on top of the 256-AES encryption, you are able to do so with other software, but sometimes when the drive is inactive, it will lock, and cause the software to mess up/crash/crash my computer. (this is 100% my fault, not Apricorn).

When i first recieved this product i did a few speed tests and simple bruteforce hacking, all passed. It seems to keep my data in tact even when other encryption software is being used on top of AES.
on February 28, 2015
This is a fantastic product -- just what I was looking for.
Specifically, not only does it run on Linux but it can be partitioned
into at least 4 partitions and those can be any filesystem you want
that is supported on Linux. So, I resized the ntfs partition it came with
to make room for an ext4 partition. If you want to resize that ntfs partition
and you don't have the ntfsresize tool, you can download
ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2014.2.15.tgz . Then you may need to do this:
cd /sbin
ln -s /bin/ntfs-3g mount.ntfs
AND add 'ntfs' after 'vfat' in /etc/filesystems .

And as a bonus, the same Aegis Padlock can be used with both Windows and Linux,
although of course, only ntfs partitions will be usable on both.
on March 15, 2015
Very easy to set up and very secure using encryption hardware. Has the option to disable itself on a brute force attack by at first, making it more trouble than it's worth, then in the end, locks the drive and deletes the contents.
Easy to set up admin and up to 4 users.
Finally, it's USB 3.0 and pretty fast. Comes with a "Y" cable.