Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 103 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on February 25, 2017
This was such an enjoyable read. The writing flows easily and the adventures of the Cobb family just pulled me in. My only disappointment was there weren't another 30 chapters and I haven't found a second book.
Lee and Norma Cobb and their "Kernels" truly lived a pioneer lifestyle. From Norma's writing style you feel like you're there too, experiencing the hardships, adventures, and crazy wildlife encounters they experienced. The Minook Valley sounds like a beautiful piece of God's handiwork and the book was like getting to visit!
Thanks, Norma, for sharing your story!
on October 15, 2012
I am fascinated with stories of Alaska and this one did not disappoint me. Since the story was taken from Norma Cobb's journals, I choose to believe most everything happened as written. This plucky family kept following their dream even when it was delayed several years by unusual circumstances. Working on the pipeline, working in the mess halls, being moved from one place to another, encountering drunken fellow travelers and defending Les with an ax, a child being accidentally shot, encountering the hairy, stinky, huge Bushman, bears and wolves. I would rather read this in a book as to ever encounter any of it. I have tried to find out the 'rest of the story' on the web, and all I could find is a one page web page on their Lost Creek Ranch hunting/fishing business that they may have already sold. I loved the story and would highly recommend it.
on June 1, 2017
I absolutely loved this book. All the adventures, trials, and tribulations are incredible. The Cobbs truly worked hard to survive, but they did and they did it well. A wonderful book!
on January 18, 2014
I fell in love with this woman as a homesteader. I would love to meet her!
I was born and lived in Alaska my whole life -19 yrs. on an original homestead on "The Kenai" (shown in Holiday magazine August 1958 or 9 as The Homestead Family of Alaska in the article about Alaska) and have lived without electricity more than half my life
but I have not been thro half the perils and adventures ! Wow!!
And talk about coincidence! My husband and I happen to own a cabin that's on the property with one of Norma's grandsons name carved on it- he used to live on the property we now own !
on July 13, 2017
Oh my...this was such a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down. I just finished it. I laughed, cried and truly lived vicariously through this wonderful family! I recommend it to anyone wanting to seek adventure and admire the true grit of a wonderful, hardworking family.
on June 30, 2017
Once she started talking about Big Foot I lost interest. The book seems full of fluff.
on March 26, 2013
I passed through the Cobb homestead during the winter of 1981. I was pulling a sled loaded with food and shelter. I stopped at the homestead and Norma fed me dinner and breakfast. I was most impressed with the children; they were such neat kids.

I find the book has embellished the interaction with wolves, brown bears and the hairy man. I have traveled thousands of miles in the Alaskan and Canadian arctic. I have never seen the track of the hairy man and I have encountered hundreds of wolves, polar bears and brown bears. I never carried a weapon on my sled and never found the need for protection. - Dick Griffith
on August 16, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this autobiography.
on January 1, 2015
Mrs. Cobb thank you for the awesome mental vacation! I was very moved by the 'Out of the Box Thinking' so many of my fellow Americans have forgotten. The spirit needed for Homesteading was well described in your writings. I could see your family grow in strength and character as the chapters continued on... This should be required reading for the Liberals and Socialists so they can better observe how freedom and self subsistence living strengthens us as a Culture. The Mottshaw's Farm, Foster, Rhode Island.
on July 7, 2017
This was a great read, I could not put it down. I read it in one day! I love all things Alaska especially the homesteader stories. I will read this again. And I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Alaska and wild adventure!