Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning britboxlaunch britboxlaunch britboxlaunch  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 582 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,119 reviews
on June 25, 2016
When I went to live in foster care at 10 I wanted to read this book. I purchased it with my allowance and then was told I had to take it back. Because I had crossed out the price on the book, the used bookseller wouldn't let me return the book for full price. I stood in the back of his store tears streaming down my face because this was the book that I thought I needed to read to understand what it meant to start middle school and all the changes my new found friends were going through. Up to that point I was raised by all men in a pretty neglectful environment. Now don't ask me why it took me over 30 years to finally get the courage (yes courage) to read this book. It was not the awful "sex' book my foster mother told me it would be, and I think if I read it back then, a lot of questions I was never given the answers to would have been more readily available for me. It was a quick read and should be something that girls of that age are afforded the opportunity to read. There is nothing in this book that might change how they behave, but it could give young girls at that age the confidence to have open and honest discussions with their mothers about this time in their lives.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
I was told years ago I should read this book because its got a good take on finding a Connection that works for you. Its sweetly told. It kind of peters out. I was left feeling like the author gave up on her point.
Like every other girl that was raised in the 80s, I read just about every Judy Blume book that I could get my hands on. Twice. Or more. They made those feelings of not fitting in and awkwardness okay. Maybe not exactly normal, but okay. They also taught me that sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself (okay, and maybe at others too).

My daughter is now ten-years-old and she reads. No, I mean she READS. This child reads more books than I do (and I read a whole lot of books!). Keeping her in books is almost a full-time job. We've recently starting readings books together. We try to find a book that we both want to read and after we've both finished it, we "sneak out" to breakfast one Saturday before the boys are up and talk about the book.

Of course, this one made the cut and it was really a great book for us to use. It started some really good conversations between us about growing up and being a girl and just how tough it can be. Being a non-religious household, I was also able to talk to her a little about beliefs and differences between people and their belief systems.

The message of this book was definitely not lost in all the years and made a great jumping off point.

Recommended for pre-teen girls, of course!
on July 20, 2017
I purchased this for my granddaughter. She is enjoying it. I read it as a young girl, my daughter read it, and now it is her turn.
on March 10, 2017
I read Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. several times when I was a pre-teen and it’s still just as good. It was originally published in 1970, but the topics such as periods, bras, and religion were still relevant in the late 80s when I read it and continue to be relevant today. Also, the amount of punctuation in the title has always made me seriously happy. I highly recommend reading this book to tween girls!
on May 8, 2016
Book was expedited quickly. The book itself is a classic. I have read this book nearly 30 years ago, and have purchased this for my tween daughter to read. Some of the passages in the book are definitely for past generations, but it was fun to relive the book again when my daughter asked me certain questions about those parts of the book.
on September 15, 2015
What a wonderful book. Margaret is a great character going through life lessons as a young girl. If you are an adult who still struggles with what you went thru in your youth like moving to a new school or body image, trying to fit in, understanding the world around you this is still a great read no matter your age. Revisit that in a gentle way as written in this book. It really does help. You will cry a little and laugh a lot.
on December 26, 2015
This original "hippie" version is so much better than the sanitized and modernized re-releases. I read this as a young boy and could finally empathize with my female peers. As a parent, I introduced it to my girls, making sure they understood the point of the book, that the realities created for us by our parents and our peers are often for THEIR benefit, not ours.
on March 18, 2017
Very enjoyable book. Love Judy Bloom books. I buy them for my grandkids and sometimes I read them too!
on December 8, 2016
I bought this to replace an older version that I had lost a long time ago. As soon as it arrived, I read it cover to cover and was reminded of why I loved this book so much. Thank you Judy, for this wonderful book.