Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 703 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,217 reviews
on April 14, 2014
When I recieved this book in the mail, I was very surprised to see it is a mini version of the book. While it is cute, I went to see if I had overlooked something when ordering. This was not the case, and I see no evidence of the size being off. I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to reading this book.
on October 25, 2015
This book is a collection of seemingly true funny stories that happened to Chelsea Handler. The stories take place at different moments of Chelsea Handler life. The redhead boyfriend and her DIU were very entertaining, but I was expecting laugh out loud moments and did not get any. Do not get me wrong, I smiled plenty and I was amused and entertained, but I did not find this book funnier than Uganda Be Kidding Me. And funny enough, I started reading this one because most reviews agreed this book was better. I beg to disagree.
on March 10, 2014
This has got to be the best book Ms. Handler has ever written. Let's just say she has led a rather interesting life. A real page turner...once you start reading it, you won't put it down.
This was one of the first selections I got for my Kindle and I am more than satisfied.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2008
I picked up this book with the only expectations of hoping it was as funny as Chelsea Handler is while doing her show or doing stand up. Bottom line, it delivers the comedic punch you'd expect from her. It's candid and filled with humorous stories about her family, a few men in her life and her friends. In all, it's a memoir without the usual sad, dramatic parts. This is more like a sampling of her life, each chapter offering a small anecdote about a different event from her life.

For me, "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" starts off a little slow, as most autobiographies/memoirs do. Her adult life (and thus the later chapters of the book) are far more funny and outrageous than the earlier ones. It feels as if it takes a little while for things to warm up to her usual brand of comedy. 'Prison Break', a chapter about her first DUI, was definitely the true start of the book for me. From that point, things pick up and the book becomes a must read, something that can't be put down. You'll enjoy her naughtiness and willingness to really open up about things most people would be shy about discussing with the world. It's funny, there were definitely parts of the book that had me nearly in tears (prepare yourself for 'Barking Up the Wrong Tree' which is by far the best chapter of the book). What you may not like are certain chapters that, perhaps if told aloud with her usual deadpan delivery and quirkiness, would have been funnier. Some stories or jokes didn't translate as well on paper as they would if she were telling the story on stage in front of an audience.

In all, a good book. I get the feeling there could be a few follow-ups to 'Vodka' with how these are just random stories strung together. I ended the book laughing and smiling, feeling satisfied with this quick but enjoyable read and definitely felt it was worth the money. Wish it had been a tad bit longer and some stories came off better on paper as they probably would have delivered aloud, but, still a good, funny, humorous book that you should check out.
on May 30, 2017
I should have pass this one.
on February 25, 2012
I'm not a big reader, maybe 3 or 4 books a year. I bought a kindle for a deployment I'll be going on and stocked it with some books. This has been my go-to book for easy light reading. I actually smile and giggle when I read it. I like it so much I purchased her other two. I don't even like her show cause I don't get her humor, she seems bitchy and mean, but now I think I like her.
on December 17, 2012
I really, really enjoy Chelsea's unique sense of humour. She is refreshingly brusque and brutally honest or makes up stuff that is just funny. Her books are all funny and just like the Chelsea personna on her talk show. She can be pretty raunchy so if that's something you're sensitive about you might not want to enter Chelsea's realm.
on October 29, 2012
One of the members of my book club suggested we read this book since it's humorous and involved drinking in the title. Yes, we're all mid-20-something's who don't find Ms. Handler's subject matter or choice of verbiage offensive in the least. I found this book quite funny and it was a very quick read. Each chapter tells a different experience/adventure and most of them made me literally laugh out loud. My husband was in the room when I was reading a very colorful chapter about certain male aspects that women don't usually discuss and when he asked me what was so funny I had to tell him he wouldn't understand. Even if these stories are a little exaggerated, I don't mind because they are definitely entertaining and enjoyable to read. This book is great for a young women's book club to discuss over cocktails!
on August 1, 2008
I feel like I've come late to the party that is Chelsea Handler, but better late than never. This collection of stories is in a word, hilarious. Chelsea is a natural storyteller and these pages go by so quickly I found myself looking for more when I reached page 264. She's original, irreverent, bawdy, gutsy and VERY funny.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but the story of boyfriend Mohammad and the Peekapoo (apparently a gay dog), and another that included a night with the drunken "midget" named Kimmy, had me laughing out loud and sharing snippets. There are no stinkers in the collection, each is funnier than the previous as you get to know her humor and her quirks, which yes--DO include a lot of vodka.

If you like the work of Laurie Notaro The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life or Sandra Tsing Loh A Year in Van Nuys you'll love the work of Chelsea Handler.

Michele Cozzens is the author of It's Not Your Mother's Bridge Club
on February 22, 2015
Perhaps I'm spoiled by Sedaris and Jenny Lawson, but I thought this book would at least make me grin a time or two. No such luck. Twenty somethings might like it! Yeah, if you enjoy the ignorant ramblings of drunk 20 year old whores, this book is for you! If that s*** seems played out at this point in your life and you prefer your humor with some actual wit, keep looking.