Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS Lite Polar White forum

Are there any good educational games for DS?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2007, 11:12:26 AM PDT
A. Co says:
I am considering of buying a nintendo DS for our 3 year old daughter to replace her leapster handheld. The screen just went dead. The leapster is ok, but I was really disappointed with the build quality leapster, especially the screen. The price does not justify the build quality. It feels and looks cheap.

Anyway, I've searched the net but all I can find is the franklin games for DS. I am particularly looking for spongebob and dora games which teaches children the alphabet and counting.

Any input is appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2007, 6:45:46 AM PDT
xx says:
3 years old is a little young for electrnic devices(my opinion), however:
Here are a few DS games for younger audiences:
Nicktoons Unite
Hannah Montana
Suite life of Zack and Cody
Thats so Raven
Basically any Nickelodeon DS game.

PLEASE GO TO THE ESRB to find out exactly.
(Entertainment Software Rating Board)
I hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2007, 10:56:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2007, 10:57:53 PM PDT
and1homerun says:
How about some books? She's 3 years old for God's sake.

But if you do go through with the purchase, don't expect the machine to hold up. The DS wasn't designed for children that young.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2007, 6:13:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2007, 6:14:45 AM PDT
I am not sure whether or not you have children, but they are much different and much more advanced these days. Yes, children love books and a good parent will read to them every day, but for the 16 hours a child is awake, books cease to appease them after the first few, as with outdoor play and everything else (they have short attention spans). My child was a computer whizz at 3 and she is only getting smarter. Oh and by the way, although I only agree with educational video games myself, it has been proven that these games improve attention span, focus, and hand-eye coordination; hence all things any 3 year-old should be improving on. So next time, before you get all huffy and puffy with personal opinions, do some research FOR GOD'S SAKE

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007, 4:54:19 PM PDT
Lady Art says:
Hi Robin, although I don't know of any true teaching games, there are some which she will probably love in a year or so... like Nintendogs (she will get to take care of a dog, train it, etc -- sounds like Tamagochi, but it's incredibly superior, like water and wine). Try also Cooking Mama, zoo tycoon, and for really good hand-eye coordination you should get Warioware - TOUCHED! --> it's very good for kids, I think. Having a precocious girl who is now 15 (and survived daily reading plus gaming), I understand what you mean.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2007, 6:15:48 PM PDT
D. Ellickson says:
I too think 3 is a little young to be playing a DS, considering the are prone to breaking. I can't think of any learning games, except for Brain Age, which she will probably not understand for many years.

Sorry, but the DS wasn't built for 3 year olds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 2:07:08 PM PST
C. BECKNELL says:
While I also agree that the DS may not last long for a child so young, if you are always there with the child it may be okay. There are now games made for pre-schoolers (smart girls, smart boys & smart kids).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 7:15:43 PM PST
C. Saenz says:
In my opinion ~ 3 yrs old is a little too young. I just bought the Special Edition Ice Blue Bundle (on Black Friday) for my daughter's birthday in Feb - she'll turn 5. She also has the older version of the Leapster and we haven't had any problems with it at all. For her DS I bought Dora, Build-a-Bear and My Little Pony. I think she's still a lil too young - which is why she'll get it on her 5th birthday in Feb.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008, 9:08:49 PM PST
M. Hicks says:
I would consider calling Leapfrog & complaining, they may just send you a new one for free! Both my daughters (now 6 & 9) have had Leapsters & my 6 yr old still plays with hers. We didn't have any trouble with them & they played them at least a few hours every week. They were also invaluable on road trips & plane rides. Also, check out eBay & garage sales for gently used Leapsters for a steal.

My 9 yr old got a DS in June & rarely plays the Leapster anymore. The biggest difference you will see in play of Leapster & DS is that you will not find many games that your 3 yr old can play by herself unless she can read already. Leapster does a very good job of reading most all text out loud, so you can navigate through games, etc. without help. My 6 yr old has been able to play some of the educational games on the DS now that she can read more on her own, but 6-12 months ago I would have to constantly read instructions to her.
If I were you, I would definitely try to get a new Leapster (1st through Leapfrog - if you are persistent, but nice their customer service may be receptive). The Leapster games are also much cheaper (Target & Toys'R Us sales).

I know this probably isn't the advice you were looking for, but I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008, 2:04:35 AM PST
I'd suggest there's no reason not to go for Brain Age and similar games. They're completely dedicated to developing quick thought. If you start your child early on math and reading primers, games like BrainAge will help it take effect earlier. It would make a world of difference for your child.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008, 9:10:38 PM PST
T. Briggs says:
My 4 yr old has a DS and would play it 24 hrs/day if I let him. Although not in the "educational" category, he and his "bestest friend from preschool" have Mario and Mario Kart and absolutely love it. He only has these 2 games and has yet to become bored after six months.

Sad to say, but the V-Tech (tv console, not hand-held) rarely gets touched. If so, he quickly becomes bored. Possibly at this age he's in-between the "baby" games and the kindergarten level is too advanced. ?????
My newly turned 7 yr old who is beginning to read, does like playing a V-Tech game inwhich you fill-in the missing letter in the word.

If you're planning on traveling over the holidays, especially with a 4 yr old, you WILL NOT be disappointed with a DS (especially Mario). Yeh, it's not p.c. for parents to let their kids play "fun, mindless" games rather than read the dictionary, but on a road trip, dinner at restaurant, sitting in line during carpool who the heck cares, you'll thank me.

Merry Christmas!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008, 12:48:25 PM PST
Mandasmama says:
My daughter will be 7 in January and has asked Santa for the red Mario DS bundle for Christmas. She has had a Leapster since she was 4 and says that the games are too easy for her now. I am unsure whether or not I want her to have a DS mostly because I cannot find any educational games for first graders. I will admit, I am personally not interested in video games and have had no incentive to research them prior to now. I looked at the Didj but it got terrible reviews. If you have any information that could help my decision, I would appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 2:51:41 AM PST
I'm not sure what Robin means when she says children are, "different and much more advanced these days," but if she means that they have more experience with hands on electronic devices than similarly aged children did previously, I'd have to agree. Whether this makes them different or more advanced is doubtful.

The biggest problem with this post is the claim that these games improve abilities that a 3-year old should be improving on. I don't know what research she is quoting, but as someone with experience in educational research I'd question whether this research "proved" that a game improved anything other than the ability to play that game; whether these skills translate into anything useful in another venue is not substantiated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 5:04:20 AM PST
Patagonica says:
I'm debating what to get for my 6 year old daughter, she never had a hand-held electronic device of her own, and I would like something educational also. Will she "outgrow" the Leapster in few months? I'm between the Leapster 2 and the DS... any suggestion?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 5:15:03 AM PST
Patagonica says:
I'm debating what to get for my 6 year old daughter, she never had a hand-held electronic device of her own, and I would like something educational also. Will she "outgrow" the Leapster in few months? I'm between the Leapster 2 and the DS... any suggestion?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008, 7:44:53 PM PST
Mandasmama says:
Patagonica- It would depend on where your daughter is in her reading and math skills. My daughter is almost 7 and she says the games are just too easy for her. I am hoping that someone will reply to my post above regarding educational games because I am running out of time to make a decision on whether or not to let her have the DS for Christmas. I truly wish the Didj were a better product because it would make this decision much easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008, 5:23:54 AM PST
T. Briggs says:
yesterday I found smartkids, crayola and then the following "puzzle games" kurupto, trioncube, dropcast . . . I didn't have time to research the customer reviews for the puzzle games as to which one users liked more, but smartkids and crayola received great parent reviews

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009, 4:37:28 PM PST
My son is 3 and he uses the ds and he loves it and plays by his self. My son also knows his numbers in English and Spanish, his alphabet and how to write them. Kids these days, at least my son is advanced so I don't see the problem with a 3 year old using a ds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009, 11:42:33 AM PST
E. Conley says:
My nephew got a DS when he was just 4 and he was fine. There are a few games that are designed for that age group, and many more that she could enjoy with a little adult assistance. I think the biggest issue you'll find is the reading level--even games like Nintendogs, where most of the gameplay is certainly easy enough for a three year old, there are plenty of parts that require reading instructions that might be a bit advanced for her. I can vouch for the system's durability, but you'll want to keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't keep leaving it on and wandering off or the battery will be dead every time she wants to play it again (that was my nephew's main issue). As for specific games, just go by the ESRB ratings and pick out ones that are rated E. Most of them try to sneak in some educational value, and even games like Mario can be good for improving hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009, 5:40:52 PM PST
mforky says:
If you decide to get a DS you might want to get the Nerf armour for it. My son is 6 and he has dropped his DS on concrete several times with the armour and it still works like a charm. It did get dropped once before the armour and survived so they mustn't be too fragile. My son was a Leapster grad too and loves his DS. But he has been playing Xbox since age 3 and is pretty good at most of the more advanced games. She will love the DS as it is a much better screen than the Leapster.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009, 1:41:44 PM PST
I don't think a 3 year old should have a DS at all! The DS is for ages 7+. A 3 year could never figure it out anyway I mean I'm 12 and I am confused sometimes. So don't buy this for a 3 year old not a good idea!

Posted on Feb 6, 2009, 7:14:40 AM PST
Keri Bania says:
I wouldnt say it is not for a 3 year old. My son just started playing my psp and playstion2 and is doing very good at learning to read and play games. He plays better in a short time than I have seen adults play. He will probally be in advanced electronics as he grows up. I will be getting him a DS this year for his birthday as they have so many more kid/educational games than sony. I do think things like these advance kids that have a nic for electronics. Electronics is the future.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009, 10:46:10 AM PST
Dont get a ds for educational purposes unless a child can read and comprehend instructions due to very few games actually tell you what to do but rather display text instructing you. also i have to say kids are not any different or more advanced today they are just familiar with different equipment. Being good at different things doesn't make you smarter better or different that's like saying a mechanical engineer is smarter than a surgeon because the surgeon doesn't know how to use a computer design program.

Posted on Mar 11, 2009, 3:37:56 PM PDT
My 3 year old has the smartboys game, mario party, super mario brothers, diego dinosaur, looney tune composer, and power rangers. It is not too hard. The looney tunes is super easy, the smart kids ones are really educational and easy. The DS is pretty durable as mine has dropped his in a mud puddle and several times on the concrete and it is fine. Get your kid one! This is great for times when u need them to sit and be quiet, such as at a doctor appointment. By the way, most 3 year olds cannot read so books will not keep them entertained when you are driving down the freeway for hours!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010, 1:29:38 PM PST
Here are some good ds games for your youngster...

Rabbit Reader DS
My Virtual Tutor DS
Spelling Challenges and More
Animal Crossing
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

This discussion is about