Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 3, 2017
It was alright not the best book I've read.
on December 1, 2017
It is a book that should be read to complement and with caution, not to be taken as a text book. There are very good essays, as very bad ones. The book distils an over-the-top market fundamentalism. At the same time it ignores the most correct theories about markets. When the author discusses inflation and interest rates it does not mention Mises (Austrian School) at all. The simplifications make a caricature of economic theory, which may indoctrinate the reader. It ignores the role of the policy maker, the role of government and society in building solid institutions that ensure proper market operation. It mockers and treats with utter disdain features such as the right of literacy and school initiatives to teach about the relevance of environment preservation. It is a good book if the reader is already relatively informed, because it is important to get to know other opinions and find common ground. But for a first contact with economics it could be damaging. The way the writer makes his point on species extinction is repulsive. The book attempts to make economics simples, but it makes it short sighted to say the least. Market fundamentalism is a fanatical religion that resist facts such as the entrepreneurial participation of the United States government seeding technologies like the internet, airspace; it overlooks South Korea development, and China's. Should the U.S. government slashes tuition financing, all those market fundamentalists would be forced to live closer to reality and write something about it. If really free markets come into existence one day, they would close economics departments across the country, laying off free market fundamentalists. Now that would be "efficiency".
on September 2, 2017
Interesting read
on July 18, 2017
Great book.
on May 18, 2017
I really wish I would have read this book earlier, I have taken a couple economic classes. My background is in engineering where I understand the math, but my approach was very logical to understanding how micro / macro work which is cause and effect, this created a very black and white picture for me. This book illustrates the principles with great metaphorical examples. Great read! Will revisit when I need to remember.
on September 25, 2016
I had to read this for my AP Macroeconomics class. I went in knowing nothing about the subject and this book explained it in simple language. I received a 95% on a practice test for the class which is impressive for something I knew nothing about the week prior.
on September 15, 2016
An entertaining little read for an economics student like myself.
on September 6, 2016
A fun book about how economic principles affect our daily lives. My first thought was that the author's style is very similar to Malcolm Gladwell's books such as "The Tipping Point," "Blink," etc.--entertaining, easy-to-read, but very insightful based on real life stories and examples. Even if you don't like economics, this is a great way to get some exposure to the field.
on August 2, 2016
1-star because after you are thoroughly pissed off by the difficult to read pomposity of this book, it finishes with a letter indirectly declaring himself indoctrinated to a "science" devoid of indoctrination, or so he has come to be disillusioned. I don't claim to be anything more than I am or have knowledge more than I have gained through my own life experiences, but as having completed at least my undergraduate degree in economics, I am at least qualified to say this author is a prick and you shouldn't give him your money. At least I did learn that recycling this book will lead to less publication and reproduction, if I can find a buyer.
on June 16, 2016
Overall, the book is a great start for anyone who is interested in the field of economics. The author explains how economics is related to life and how it can be used to explain people's behavior towards many things. I just think that the author exaggerates at some points when he asserts that economists can explain everything using pure economics. Still, the book has changed the ways in which I think about economics. Plus, the author's writing style is rather amusing and can carry some sense of humor.