Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on April 23, 2017
Great book. Will continue reading the rest of the series. Thank you to Scott Bury for this free read.
on April 15, 2017
Mr. Bury's book is a story you will love to read over and over. Personal experiences in war have us all in wrapped attention. I have read the experiences on the German side and they are equally gripping.
on February 27, 2017
Very well written. Has realistic look into the life of an unusual Canadian who lived in Ukraine and Poland before and during WWII . New information of what it was like fighting in Red army, being a war prisoner, and a Ukrainian freedom fighter. Would make a very good movie.
on February 26, 2017
Based on the true story of a Canadian drafted into the Soviet Army during WWII. In the unsettled times we live in now, it is disturbing to read how easily we slide into war. Fascinating read.
on November 10, 2015
I've long been fascinated with the history of Russia and the nations that were overrun by the Russian machine. This story is a different look at the history & experience of Ukrainians during the Second World War. I look forward to continuing the story.
on September 27, 2015

I knew as soon as I heard the story behind the book, that I had to read it. For a history fan, the first sentence of the blurb hooked me.

“A Canadian is drafted into the Soviet Red Army in 1941, just in time to be thrown against Nazi Germany’s invasion in Operation Barbarossa.”

How the heck did a Canadian end up drafted into the Soviet Red Army? The novel is a based on facts Bury gathered from conversations with his father-in-law over a number of years. A popular author I read calls books like this one, “Faction.” It is a fascinating look into the
life of this unwilling soldier in the Red Army. It does have strong language, but appropriate in a war setting. I hope there will be a sequel, i would like to know how the soldier ended up in Canada.
on August 1, 2015
Interesting to read from another front of WWII. I have heard and seen a lot about the American soldiers, but not the Russians. Difficult to put this book down once I started to read it. Trying the boots into the story was very meaningful.
on July 23, 2015
Great story of a Canadian citizen drafted into the Russian Army at the onset of World War II. Well written, with excellent character development and action scenes that have the ring of truth about them.
on July 1, 2015
I like reading about WW1 and WW2. I am not a good reader but I found this book easy to read. I found the content vary interesting.
on February 13, 2015
If you’re interested in historical accounts of World War II, you’ll enjoy this book. Written with a smooth prose that moves the story along you won’t be bored with unnecessary verbiage. You’ll also feel compassion for the narrator for having been caught up in a war his country of birth wasn’t fighting.

I liked how the story began with a scene that takes place later in the book that engages the reader with what will happen to the narrator. Then the next chapter the reader gets to see the narrator, a college student, struggling with his studies while supporting himself before he’s drafted into war. I eagerly read these earlier chapters so I could see how the events that are mentioned in the first chapter are unfolded.

Although a fictional account of the author’s father-in-law actual experiences, the story reads as a thriller. But knowing the experiences the narrator is shoved into are based on fact makes the reading all the more compelling.

I would have liked to have had a bit more emotional connection with the narrator but that desire didn’t prevent me from devouring this book.

I look forward to the continuation of this story in the book presently being written.