Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,028 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,123 reviews
on August 6, 2012
I'd been using the Aroma 6 cups (cooked, 3 cups uncooked) rice cooker with the non stick (aluminum) interior for years and have loved it. Rice never stuck to bottom, even if I just made 1 cup of uncooked rice. I replaced that one with this stainless steel inner pot Aroma model and it does a fabulous job. I've only used it once and the rice was perfect, but since there are so few reviews, I wanted to add mine for you as soon as possible. I made 2 cups (uncooked) brown basmati rice, according to the directions.

Since many users comment about rice sticking to the bottom of their rice cookers, this is the method that I've been using for years. First, I rinse the rice (in my new Japanese rice washing bowl--OK the bowl is new). I pour a very small amount of olive oil on the bottom of the inner pot and use my fingers to get it to cover the entire bottom. Add rice, then water, then cook.

This is the part that I think keeps it from not sticking--when the button moves from the cooking to the keep warm position (you can hear it pop), I remove the inner pot with lid on and let it finish off the heat. After about 15 minutes, I fluff the rice with the included paddle (previously I had used a fork) and the rice is perfect.

For grains, white rice, and brown rice, there is an instruction booklet for grains to water ratio. For white rice, you can also add the measured rice (they provide a rice measuring "cup," which is ¾ standard cup) into the inner pot then fill with water to the inner pot markings for 1, 2, or 3 cups.

Stainless steel is a good weight. Doesn't take up much space. Rice was PERFECT--did not stick or burn. Bamboo paddle, rice measuring cup, and instruction booklet are included. Excellent product and does great job.

***Update. I've now used this at least a half a dozen times for brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat (whole kasha) and it's performed as well as the first time I used it. I'm very happy with this cooker.
1414 comments| 713 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2017
The pot worked as expected and does have a tendency to sputter and bubble out through the cover lid vent. That would be acceptable but we returned it as the pot is not solid stainless steel. It is plated and the interior plating started to flake off after only a couple of uses.into the food. I was not willing to take a chance with my health by eating flakes of whatever plating material is used in the fabrication of the "not so stainless" pot. The light colored spots in the picture are the spots where the plating came off exposing a different metal underneath. Maybe they are getting shortchanged by their supplier?
review image
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
This was the least expensive stainless steel rice cooker that I could find. I bought the 20 cup (cooked) rice cooker. I read the reviews and could not figure out who is telling the truth because most said this is a great rice cooker while others claimed all sorts of problems such as the steam bursting out of the hole and rice being burnt. Though I read the negative reviews, many gave this cooker a positive rating because of the health benefit of cooking rice with a stainless steel pot instead of the stick-resistant coating that teflon cookers have that are rumored to be a cause of cancer.

My mom always had this Japanese stick-resistant teflon/plastic cooker with the flowery designs on the outside. Eventually, rice stuck to this kind of rice cooker any way, and my mom had to scrape to wash the rice off to the point that the cooking pot just didn't seem safe to me to continue cooking with it as most of the stick-resistant coating has peeled or scraped off from years of washing. I decided to buy a new cooker for my mom that was safe health-wise by going with stainless steel.

When the Aroma Simply Stainless 20-cup cooked rice cooker arrived, my mom and I thought it was a nice cooker because of the simple and clean looking design. We were excited. So, we cleaned the rice, place the rice into the cooking pot, placed the pot into the cooker. Within minutes, we were disappointed. The rice cooker spewed hot steamy gooey water every where just as reviewers claimed it would do. Gooey water was all over the floor, the counter top and all over the glass cover of the cooker. Mom insisted on returning this new cooker and go back to the old cooker. I did not want to return it due to having to repack everything and contacting Amazon and dealing with shipping, etc.; and I wanted this cooker to work for us because it was the healthy alternative. However, I needed to convince my mom to keep this cooker and resolve the problem of spewing water. Then, a light bulb came to mind. I told mom that when she's ready to cook the rice, just put a light dry cloth over the opening of the cover. This will allow the rice to cook with the steam continuing to come out of the cover hole, but it would prevent the steamy water from spewing out, and it worked. The cloth over the cover controlled the spewing of gooey water and the rice cooked nicely. Mom was happy to keep the cooker until she discovered another issue.

Mom found that the rice was burning at the bottom of the cooking pot, and mom did not like the idea of having to soak the pot over night in water, so that the burned rice would come off easily. I thought we had to return the cooker due to this issue, but mom soon discovered that if she immediately unplugs or shut off the cooker the moment the cooker signals that the rice is cooked, there isn't much burning at the bottom of the pot, and she can clean it the night of the cooking. Other reviewers have suggested lining a thin layer of oil on the stainless steel pot before putting the rice in to prevent the rice from burning onto the pot for easy cleaning.

Anyway, mom has now gotten to like this stainless steel rice cooker a lot. She knows it's healthier/safer than other types (aluminum or teflon/plastic) of rice cookers. The rice comes out well-cooked with the right level of softness/firmness and taste like rice you get at restaurants. She likes the fact that the cooker makes a sound to let you know that the rice is done cooking. So, she unplugs or shuts off the cooker immediately after it is done cooking (never leaving the warmer on). She leaves a light dry cloth on top of the cover when ever she starts cooking, and no more water is spewing. She's gotten used to the routine and now loves this cooker enough that when I asked if she wants to return to the old teflon cooker, she said no, she likes this stainless cooker much better. So, yes, reviewers who gave this cooker a low rating is telling the truth, but there are ways to resolve the issues of this cooker if you just take a moment to think about them. High raters are also telling the truth, I like the taste of the rice from this cooker and I feel better.
on April 5, 2016
 I was convinced having read NUMEROUS reviews, that this was my rice cooker.

Pros:
- Many good reviews
- Stainless steel, can cook 2 cups easily, and up to 7 if needed.
- Doesn't burn rice at the bottom of the pot.

Cons:
- When cooking just two cups of (uncooked) rice, scalding rice water spurts everywhere. Can't imagine what it would be like to cook more!

For ~$60 more, I am getting a pressure-cooker / rice-cooker by Instapot. Recommend that route over this format of rice cooker.
on January 20, 2017
I was looking for a small, stainless steel or ceramic rice cooker for our small family. This one seemed to be perfect. However, I was a bit nervous to order it due to mixed reviews of some saying it is great, while other saying that it burns the rice and spews water out of the lid. In this case, the negative reviews were, disappointingly, spot on. This rice cooker both burns the rice on the bottom of the pan and spews water out of the sides of the lid (to the point where the lid is shaking) and the vent hole. Other reviewers suggest placing a tea towel over the lid, which is in violation of the instructions that came with the unit. There is even a sticker located on the lid telling you not to cover the lid or vent hole. Some reviewers have said you can fix the issue of rice being burnt on the bottom of the pot by coating the bottom with a little bit of oil. No thank you for any of these "tips". I wanted a rice cooker to make my life easier. I didn't want to have to babysit a pot of rice on the stove top, and I don't want to have to take extra steps and babysit a $40 appliance that is supposed to be for making rice and doesn't do the job correctly. This product is being returned.
on April 20, 2016
Nota bene: this is advertised as "simply stainless." This is not the same as stainless steel. It is regular steel with some kind of coating that makes it shiny. It works ok ;but if you wanted a stainless steel unit, like I did, you will be disappointed.

EDIT: I tested the pot with a magnet and there does not appear to be any ferrous metal in it. I google "simply stainless" and could not find anything about how it is made.
on January 28, 2015
I was highly anticipating the arrival of this as we are replacing a rice cooker from this same company we have really enjoyed. Our first Aroma rice cooker had a nonstick coating on the inside. We wanted to replace that due to the dangers associated with the nonstick coating. We thought surgical grade stainless steel would be a much safer option. However, upon arrival, we washed the pot and lid carefully and dried. Upon first use of this item, when 2 1/2 cups of organic brown rice were steaming, I wiped off part of the lid as some water was pooling on top of the lid. I looked at the paper towel and I saw streaks and specs of silver residue on the paper towel. When the rice switched to warm mode and I took off the lid, I wiped the inside of the pot with a new clean paper towel. I was able to wipe a lot of silver residue multiple times right where the rice was cooking! I had to throw out the rice as I determined it was not safe to consume. I called the company customer service line, and they said that it was probably because it was the first use. I washed the pot thoroughly and decided to give it one more try. After this second use, I was able to wipe silver residue again from the interior of the pot where the food was and the outside and from the rim of the lid. I have never had this happen with any stainless steel cookware I have owned. I was intrigued to buy this as it stated "surgical-grade" stainless steel which made it sound even safer. After three washes and two uses, I am still able to get silver residue when wiping this pot dry. I do not think this is safe at all, and this is the whole reason I decided to invest in buying this pot. I am very disappointed and will not be purchasing products from Aroma anymore.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? Please check your pots! This is unacceptable for cookware, in my opinion. I have now gone back to cooking rice in a stainless steel pot on the stove. No silver residue!
88 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2015
Excellent quality and NO TEFLON! Make your steel cut oatmeal in this too (add raisins, cinnamon -- whatever you like) and, unlike when making rice which requires the cover, leave the cover off. For rice cooking, liquid spews lightly from the cover's little porthole; I do not believe this is a design flaw or can be avoided, I do however have a simple solution: prop a small dish on the cooker when making rice and splashing will be contained (see picture attached).
on May 9, 2017
My wife complained that our home oatmeal (rolled oats) wasn't as good as the restaurant oatmeal. The restaurant oatmeal is creamier. To get creamier oatmeal, you have to cook it longer than the recommended 10 minutes. I tried cooking it 20 minutes or 30 minutes and it got better. But by the time I got the oatmeal ready, my wife was too hungry and had eaten something else.

This little cooker cooks excellent oatmeal. I bought a timer for $3.50. I load the cooker at night and set the ON switch. The timer is set for an hour before we get up. We wake up to excellent oatmeal kept warm.

Clean-up is not more difficult than with my pan. I let it soak for a few hours. It doesn't have a non-stick coating. It has a thick bottom like better cooking pots. It is supposed to be stainless steel, but another review stated that a magnet didn't stick to it. A magnet doesn't stick to mine either, but is also doesn't stick to my stainless steel pots.

My wife and I have chosen oatmeal as a staple to our diet for health reasons. This little appliance has become an essential tool for our life.
on February 8, 2015
We are pretty happy with this 14-cup (cooked) rice cooker. Some of the other reviewers stated that the 6-cup stainless model is much too small, so I went with the 14-cup model which is just right right for my family. It's simple to use, easy to clean, and much safer than the non-stick coated aluminum ones. We only used this product about a dozen times and thus far we have had pretty good results. You will find that you need to play with the water to ratio yourself to get the rice to the tenderness that you desire because the instructions seem a little off but that is not a big issue. One minor grief around that though is that the unit does not always want to turn back on to "cook" after it has been on the "warm" status. We had to unplug the device and the restart it to continue cooking the rice a little longer. Another little gripe is that there is not an option to turn the rice from "cook" to "off". It will go to "warm" which is nice but you have to be careful because the rice at the bottom can burn.

Overall, we are very pleased with our rice cooker and the results that we have received thus far. We are also looking forward to trying some of the recipes that were provided with the purchase. They look delicious!
review image review image review image review image review image