Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 209 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 250 reviews
on November 14, 2010
Check out my full review, including reviews of many of the recipes from this book, on my site katecooksthebooks dot com.

I made ten recipes from this book and with one exception, would make all of them again. Dorie strikes a wonderful balance between being accessible and yet remaining true to the character of French cooking. There are many recipes for the French dishes Americans have come to love -- onion soup, souffle, crepes, etc. -- but also some examples of how the French have embraced things like guacamole and Vietnamese flavors.

Some recipes are completely do-able for weeknight meals and some are projects. All are worth the effort. I had never made a souffle before this book and was, probably subconsciously, intimidated by its reputation. But in Dorie's reassuring hands I discovered that souffles are -- dare I say it? -- EASY! And they make a delightful light, non-meat main dish. Even on a busy night.

Dorie calls this "elbows on the table" food and I agree entirely.
on January 26, 2016
I have both the print and ebook versions of this book. I love Dorie Greenspan's recipes, and now I can take her wisdom with me when I am traveling and in a strange kitchen. So comforting to have a wise and experienced friend at hand! The pictures are especially sumptuous and the recipes are great!
on November 18, 2011
Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours

After hearing about this book from a number of my food-loving friends, I was compelled to add it to my library. I have become fairly discerning these days, considering that my collection is pretty large, and I had to store a lot away. Many of my cookbooks are really reminders of my years as a chef in the 80"s. Consider that I have every original Gourmet magazine, in the attic of course. So I have been editing, and while I love them all, I am picky these days and only buy cookbooks I will use often.

Consider Greenspan's beautiful book because this is a treasure that will transcend time. Not trendy, (and sometimes I like trendy), easy on the eye, true to the French casualness of everyday cooking, and classic, I highly recommend this book. It now holds a place on my newly purchased antique work table in my kitchen. I am devoted and now read Dorie Greenspan's blog, which is quite good.

I am currently ordering another copy for my son for Christmas, who was born eating leftovers of pate en croute and caviar from my later catering days. This book is only for the dearly loved, who cook from the soul. I can feel the love when I make these recipes. This is how much I love this cookbook.

Of course Mastering the Art of Fench Cooking, Child, may be the only front runner, but that review is for another day.
on February 19, 2011
I've had this book just a couple of weeks now and I've tried only 3 or 4 recipes but I'm already in love as I've read through most of it now. I'm a devoted francophile and have LOTS of French-themed cookbooks. I've also spent quite a lot of time recreating wonderful meals my husband and I have had in Paris and elsewhere in the country. That said, I can say that this book is a wonderful mixture of very tradtitional French fare mixed with a few more modern takes on things that she's come up with on her own.

I've tried the Savory Cheese and Herb bread in the first section- if I had turned my back for a moment, my husband would have scarfed the entire thing and I wouldn't have gotten any. Big hit. Also, the Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flans were wonderful. I'm a (fish-eating) vegetarian and my husband isn't- he likes a good steak- and this flan is typically the type of thing that he might groan a little over and that's what I expected- NOPE! He loved them. I also tried the Flounder Almandine/Meunière- the first recipe in the seafood section and it was fab. I used Dover Sole and it worked just great. Big hit and I'm sure my husband will request it again.

Basically I can't wait to cook my way through this book- avoiding the meat and poultry recipes, but that's fine with me. I'm sure I'll have plenty to entertain myself even without that section.

Her instructions are clear and reasonable- she doesn't require you to have any crazy equipment or anything and even gives alternate instructions like "Mix ingredients in a food processor- or with a mixer or a heavy whisk if that's what you have." She also gives some leeway on ingredients like when she calls for shallots and then says if all you've got are onions, then use those. These are changes I typically make anyway if I need to, but not everyone does that without permission for fear of realy screwing something up and it just really makes her style feel warm and approachable.

I love the little interjections also- the pages on how to enjoy cheese or where a particular dish comes from, etc. Very useful and fun info. Plus the book looks great- it's a hefty tome and takes up some space on the shelf, but I'm sure it's going to become quickly well-worn in my kitchen. Good feel and beautiful photos.

I've noticed some recipes in here for things that I have loved when I've been in France like Carrottes Rapées and Potato Leek Soup- those flavors just bring back wonderful memories for me and I can't wait to make all of my favorites.

One criticism, the same one I have for many cookbooks, is that there aren't photos for every recipe. For 75% or so there are, but I really like photos so I can see what I'm expected to produce and she doesn't always give them. It doesn't lower my rating of the book, though, I'd just like some more photos.
on September 4, 2010
I made the Quiche Maraichere (pg.158), a French Vegetable Tart, the first day I received the book. My husband said it rated a "5 out of 4 stars"! It was delicious both hot and room temperature, and not difficult to make.

Tonight is the second night, and I am making Hachis Parmentier (pg.258)...basically a French Shepard's Pie. The fragrance of the meat cooking and making it's own beef broth is out of this world! Not hard to do, just takes some time.

Clear directions,beautiful photos, and easy to come by ingredients for the American cook; this is my new FAVORITE cookbook. Definitely worth every penny!

The fragrance of the food cooking brings an indescribable sense of home, comfort, and joy in living and being a cook.
55 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2016
My only complaint with the book is I wish it had more pictures.

That's it.

I LOVE it. The recipes are easy to follow, and oh so yummy! Before I purchased this, I would have never thought I enjoyed French cuisine. Well, now I do. At least the cooking side of it - I have not attempted the baking recipes yet. I love her instructions on HOW to prepare things (meat at room temperature, and unsalted butter, for instance) and have learned so much about proper cooking techniques than I'd care to admit. I have a greater appreciation for the application and use of spices, and love reading about the recipes as well as making them. Excellent book, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to eat healthier and cook delicious meals!

By the way - the avocado with oil recipe is as AMAZING as it is basic. Love it!
VINE VOICEon May 5, 2012
Today my husband asked me to make mushroom soup. Since I haven't made it before, I told him I'd look through my books to find a good recipe. Then the doorbell rang, it was the postman delivering this gorgeous book. As I opened it and began to thumb through it, the first recipe that I came upon was ... mushroom soup. OK that was a good omen and I started to read the recipe. Then the second omen ... Mrs. Greenspam said that it was from one of her favorite bistros in Paris .. Les Papilles, which happens to be one of our all time favorite Paris bistros.

A few weeks ago, I got her recipe online, for the chicken that is on the front cover, and after making it, I knew that I would be ordering this book. The chicken was moist, flavorful and the sweet potatoes gave it a very special flavor. This was my first experience 'caulking' a pot to keep the steam in. I used store bought pizza dough and the chicken was a huge success and definitely a keeper.

As I read through most of the recipes, I found that some were familiar (other versions) and some were new with surprise ingredients. After years of cooking and eating French food or any other food for that matter, you can generally tell if you will like a dish, based on the ingredients and seasoning.

The pictures are large, clear, and well done. I enjoy 'reading' good cookbooks and I spent over an hour perusing this fine book. Mrs. Greenspan's introductions to each recipe, history and special little hints, add so much to the book, a very personal feeling as if she is talking to you directly and sharing her knowledge and secrets with a friend. I am about ready to stop referring to her as Mrs. Greenspan - Dorie is more appropriate.

Perhaps I should have waited until I tried more recipes, but I am so happy with my purchase and know that I will be making many of the dishes, starting tomorrow, that in my enthusiasm, I just couldn't wait to review it.

The Amazon price of $16.00 is a true value and I plan on buying more copies as gifts.

UPDATE 5/7/12 - I made the above mentioned mushroom soup last night ... we couldn't have enjoyed it more. Fairly easy to make and absolutely delicious. I can hardly wait to make it for company. We had it two nights in a row and the second night it was even better - the flavor was more intense.

Another Update ... 9/2/12 I am making her fabulous mushroom soup now. I had forgotten to mention in my original review, that I was shocked when I read the recipe for the first time. She calls for 6 cups of chicken stock OR water with chicken bullion cubes added!!! CHICKEN BULLION CUBES ARE NOTHING BUT CHEMICALS AND SALT, and no self respecting cook would have them in their house. I checked some of her other soup recipes in the book, and so far this is the only soup that she mentioned using the bullion cubes. Most good recipe books usually call for homemade stock or a good canned stock.

If I don't have homemade on hand, it freezes nicely by the way, I use canned Swanson's low salt (I prefer to salt my own food). Swansons is highly rated by Cooks Illustrated and publications. There are of course other store bought stocks/broths that are probably equally as good. Why buy bullion cubes (YUCK) when you can buy a good canned broth in the same store! I feel the same way about beef bullion cubes or powder.... bad stuff.
on February 20, 2014
If you think of French cooking as rich, complex and full of esoteric and unavailable ingredients, this book will be a very pleasant shock. Most of the recipes are simple, call for ingredients that are easily available, and many of the recipes are light and fresh. I am working on changing a lifetime of bad eating habits, and browsing the recipes in this book made me realize that healthy eating could also be easy and elegant. If you are trying to lose weight, check the recipes for asparagus soup, the salads and many of the starters, which can be light meals on their own. Ms. Greenspan also includes many recipes which incorporate the tastes of other cultures (Vietnam, Morocco, e.g.) adapted to French ingredients and techniques. Her recipes are clear and easy to follow, and the book is written in an unpretentious and friendly voice.

There is not one recipe in this book I would hesitate to make or serve at home, and busy cooks will find lots of options for quick dishes for weeknight suppers. If you want to feed your family, and feed them well, this book is practically indispensable.
on April 13, 2014
I have an extensive cookbook collection and even publish one of my own. Dorie Greenspan's book has become my new go-to book. I became hooked by a story on NPR about her "Top Secret Chocolate Mousse," which was so good and so easy I decided to buy the book. I've now cooked 8 of her recipes and she's eight for eight as delicious. I'm primarily a carnivore, so it says a lot that one of my very favorites is her "Go with Everything Celery Root Puree." Truly a find. If you only buy one cookbook this year, this should be it. Wow.
on December 9, 2015
I know what I'm getting my sister for Christmas!

Edit: Okay--sister loves it too. I'm not changing my rating, but can I say, $26.99 for the Kindle edition is flipping nuts! Donkey balls crazy. It was like $4 when I got it, which is admittedly cheap for a great book. $10 seems reasonable, because you don't get all the pretty pictures with the Kindle. Flipping through my sister's hardcover is different experience. I didn't even realize there was a delicious stuffed pork loin until my sister told me she was going to make it!