Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 52 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
I live in a large metropolitan area, but can't find rye flour without driving all over town. And when it do find it, the price is astronomical. Buying from Amazon is a great solution for me.

My rye bread recipe only calls for two cups of rye flour for five loaves, so it takes me a little while to go through a bag of rye, but I pour these bags into a plastic storage container like I do with all my other flours and grains. That keeps the critters out of them and keeps the flour from getting too hot and rancid.

I probably won't need any more rye flour until later this year, but when I do, I'll be glad to buy another six-pack from Amazon.

Oh, and what about the product itself? This rye flour is so incredibly delicious! The flavor is really great and not overpowering.

Recipe:

6.5 cups warm water
3.5 tablespoons yeast (heaping)
3 tablespoons salt (level)
3 tablespoons caraway seed (heaping) - plus a few generous pinches on top of the loaves at baking
2 cups rye flour
10 cups unbleached white flour (level)

Mix the ingredients and let the dough sit overnight in the fridge in a 12qt plastic tub with a loose lid. Then form the loaves the next day, let them sit for 30 minutes, and then bake at 450* for 30 minutes (longer for bigger loaves).

It's the perfect deli rye. Mmmm!
66 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 14, 2011
It is surreal how difficult it is to get rye flour in hawaii; that is to say impossible, until Amazon started delivering it. I have made something of a project of sourdough this year and have starters going from white, wheat and mixtures; however the best sourdough comes from rye... well, at least it is the easiest to culture, and is a natural (has a lot of wild yeast in the flour). Sadly I was unable to get a starter going until now. Thanks to Amazon I now have a wild yeast pure rye, as well as one started with a pinch of my wheat starter, It says something about the freshness and quality that the starter was foaming after one day! I have already made rye bread using a culture started from this flour, and no yeast was necessary :)

Beyond that, I like that it is packed in small bags, as I have to store it in the freezer to combat the tropical humidity and pests. I also like that it is 100% rye, not a mixture like so many others.

Thank you Amazon :) Without this service I would have the trappings of western civilization largely off limits but for when I travel. i really appreciate having access to the foods I grew up with, and ingredients I need to cook what I like.... which is pretty much the only way to get those things here. It is nice having fresh rye bread again :) (ah, the little things we take for granted, until they are out of reach)
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 14, 2016
This is an excellent rye flour that has excellent taste. I used this to bake an old style sourdough rye bread, which takes a few days to prepare prior to baking - and came out quite well for first try! I find that making rye rise without any yeast whatsoever (only with lactobacillus plantarum, which is present in the traditional sourdough base) is not the easiest thing to do but I was able to do alright with this flour. I will buy some more.
review image
on June 26, 2013
I have this flour and loved the freshness. Have been using it to feed my rye starter, which is very strong and smells wonderful- almost like apple cider! I live in a somewhat large city, but am unable to find rye flour anywhere! Amazon to the rescue! So glad to be able to get it and with the option for automatic shipments. Highly recommend this product!
on March 16, 2012
I live in a rural area of South Carolina where rye flour must be a dirty word. I have looked in all the stores available within 50 miles, Walmart included, with no success. Thank you Amazon for offering this product.

I am very pleased with Arrowhead am rye organic flour. I can't stop baking rye bread with caraway seeds. I think I'm addicted to the stuff.

My order was received in perfect condition and professionally packaged. No loose flour or tears, etc. The flour is wonderful to work with and I use it in my 10 yr. old machine with great success. Thanks for offering quality products at a reasonable price.
on April 18, 2012
I make Rye bread every day for my family.
This rye flour is the best I found so far.
(I will update my review if I will find a better one.)
For a while I used Red Mill Organic Rye Flour Dark,
which is good but this one is better.

P.S. Finally, I found better Rye Flour in a Mennonite market.
on March 4, 2016
Great for bread making! Product arrived earlier than expected which worked out perfectly for me.
on March 23, 2015
Wonderful flour. I use is to feed my bread starter and I can see a huge difference in color and bubbles. Also wonderful taste, especially as a starter in some rustic breads
on April 26, 2016
Arrived almost immediately from seller. Fresh product of excellent quality.
on April 22, 2013
My Wife loves Rye bread, and she said the bread I made her from this package was the best bread I have ever made her.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.