FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
About the Product
- Features -
- Free Paint Mode allows you to create works of art when ever and where ever you are inspired
- There are different types of Pencil and Brush types for you to choose from when creating your art; this gives you more creative freedom when painting and drawing
- Paints are easily mixed on a painter's pallet to get the desired colors; they can also be diluted with water to adjust the color saturation; you can even choose how much paint is on the brush at a given time
- The Gallery is an area where the you can frame and save all of the artwork you create; Gallery Images can be displayed in a slide show or viewed one at a time
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Art Academy is an educational art game for Nintendo DS and DSi that is designed to teach the basics of painting, drawing, sketching, color theory and beyond. An extension of the Art Academy game series, previously available only to DSi users via Nintendo's wireless download DSiWare functionality, this cartridge based software for DS and DSi incorporates all 20 lessons from the previous two releases as well as 10 new lessons. The game features multiple modes, including one led by an in-game art tutor, as well as Free Paint mode that allows you to let your creativity flow freely. Additional features include: a wide variety of pencil and brush types, an in-game painter's color palette, the ability to save and frame finished work, a demo lesson that can be wirelessly shared with other DS or DSi owners and special DSi camera functionality.
Learn to Draw and Paint with Your DS or DSi
Have you ever had an interest in art or wanted to learn how to draw and paint? Well now you can explore your creative side, anytime, anywhere with the Art Academy software, a fun, interactive, and portable training software for the Nintendo DS and DSi systems that will teach you how to draw and paint, much as you would learn in an art class.
Art Academy offers simple, easy to understand art lessons that you can take at your own pace. You even have the ability to fast forward or rewind a step if you would like to view it again. Vince is your in-game art tutor and he will guide you through each new lesson, gradually introducing new concepts to you. Each new lesson builds upon concepts that you learned in previous lessons, complete with step by step examples. The software takes advantage of the Touch Screen on the Nintendo DS. Simply use the stylus like a real pencil or paint brush when creating a piece of art. The pencils, paintbrushes, color mixing, and paint dilution effects produce realistic results, and feel very natural. All of the skills learned in Art Academy can be applied to real-life artist's materials outside of the Nintendo DS environment. So what are you waiting for? There is no time like the present to start learning how to draw and paint with Art Academy.
- Free Paint Mode allows the player to create works of art when ever and where ever they are inspired.
- There are different types of pencil and brush types for the player to choose from when creating their art. This gives the player a lot of creative freedom when painting and drawing.
- Paints are easily mixed on a painter’s pallet to get the desired colors. They can also be diluted with water to adjust the color saturation. The player can even choose how much paint is on the brush at a given time.
- The Gallery is an area where the player can frame and save all of the artwork they create. Gallery Images can be displayed in a slide show or viewed one at a time.
- Art Academy includes all 10 of the lessons and tools from both Art Academy: First Semester and Art Academy: Second Semester, which were previously only available as Nintendo DSiWare downloads. Plus there are 10 Mini Lessons and over 80 motifs that the player can choose from to use as reference material when creating their art.
- When playing Art Academy on the Nintendo DSi system, the player has the added feature of using the built-in cameras to create reference material. The player can take a photo and save it into the gallery and then use it in Free Paint Mode.
- The player can send the demo lesson via the local wireless connection of their Nintendo DS to another Nintendo DS to be tried by another player.
Your own in-game art tutor.
Basic color theory.
Freedom to create.
Frame and save your work.
Top Customer Reviews
First off, I'm not an artist - in fact I can hardly draw which is part of what drew me to this originally. The lessons start off fairly simply and from the beginning I felt like I was creating images that were much better than I expected. While I've really enjoyed the title, the lessons section is fairly short and clearly not meant to be the game's breadth or replay value. The replay is in the Free Paint mode- which somehow manages to include a nice array of tools and options while staying fun and easy to use. Players can get inspiration either from a small library of stock images or those with DSi units can take photos and use them in game.
The lessons that are there are excellent and easy to follow. Basic technique is included with helpful images and references to both historically important artists and techniques. The overall effect of most paintings is more impressionistic, which is actually more forgiving for the beginner. Those wishing to create more realistic images will probably not be satistified with the level of detail possible, though a zoom mode does help with control and small areas.Read more ›
I am happy to report that this was the perfect purchase for him. He loves the lessons, accompanied by opportunities to try new techniques (shading, for example). After about an hour straight with Art Academy, my son was proud to bring us an example of something he drew. I told him about my concern about the game being "too easy". He quickly informed me that it's perfect, but he also wanted to make sure that I mention that he thinks Art Academy would be great for someone with no experience in drawing/painting.
To be honest, our DS has been collecting dust lately. Art Academy has changed that, and I anticipate that our son will continue to have a great time with this. He's anxious, for example, to use our Nintendo DSi to take a photo of our cat so that he can then use it to help him make a painting of our cat.
My recommendation: if you or someone you know is interested in art, this just might be the perfect purchase!
Category: Nintendo DS
This game is a great introduction to the basics of drawing. The 10 lessons are very thorough and provide enough instruction to get great results.
You start by drawing an apple. It sounds easy, but the game teaches you line-drawing, shading with highlights, lights and shadows, and pencil points. It makes the difference between an apple, and an apple you want to eat, lol.
There is also an option for free painting which is where you can draw whatever you want while practicing the techniques that you have learned. There are options to save your drawing and you can delete and start over at any time.
Also, you can send (within the perimeter of your DS) a demo to friends so they can try the game for themselves.
This game also provides some historical facts about the drawing tools, etc which rounds out the educational value of this video game.
If you are interested in learning techniques to drawing a well developed picture, this game is for you!
Art Academy for the Nintendo DS, takes the idea of just simply painting and relaxing away a lot of stress, by creating some really clever paintings using the simple pencil & brush system. You can easily learn new tricks from adding depth to your painting with shadowing, landscapes like mountains, to learning how to paint your favorite flowers and fruits. The gameplay is simple, as you use your stylus to paint and sketch drawings to any style you like. There is also a great treat for Nintendo DSi owners, as you also can use your own samples. By the use of the Nintendo DSi camers, you can take snapshots of places, and people to make your own sample pictures to get inspiration to paint your own pictures. While the graphics aren't anything over the top, it delivers more like a nice teaching tool, by letting you paint and put your mind at work. The control with the pencils from hard & soft tips, to creating your paints by the color wheel. While the music is also theraputic at times, it isn't anything to rave about.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Same problem as many have noted - apparently this is an Australian version and even though it looks (shape) exactly like my kids other 2DS games, the game system won't even... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
I couldn't get it to work in my game system. I forgot to check what country it would be coming from.Published 2 months ago by Ashley G.
So far i have drawn an apple and an alien looking pepper, not enuff nudes thoPublished 3 months ago by DoomtrainInc
Attempted to play this , however, the DS kept saying: insert disc! Apparently, what I received was defective. Disappointed!Published 6 months ago by Popo
Although the product itself did not work on my dsi- im still very much appreciative with how considerate & kind the seller was- so i give them 4 stars 4 bein awesome ^^Published 7 months ago by Jessica E.
This is a must to learn how to draw or paint...I have really learned a lot of techniques with this. I would def recommend to anyone...Published 7 months ago by Ivy Davis
Version not compatible with Ninetendo 3DS . Need to order 3DS Version now available.Published 8 months ago by BRIAN R.
We haven't gotten it to work yet - but still looking into itPublished 8 months ago by Amanda Schomer