Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on May 31, 2002
What an incredible book! At 192 pages, this fantastic work by Gary Russell is chock-full of pictures, sketches, drawings and paintings from the wonderful film �The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Rings.� I have purchased all of the movie tie-in books available and this is by far my favorite. If you are into visuals (and I am), I couldn�t recommend this book enough. The back of the book says �contains 500 exclusive paintings and drawings from the spectacular film" and they weren't kidding!
The book is divided into 4 chapters - Locations, Costumes, Armory and Creatures. The LOCATIONS chapter is by far the largest - with extensive coverage of Bag End and Hobbiton, Bree, Weathertop, Ford of Bruinen, Rivendell, Moria, Isengard, Lothlorien, the River Anduin, Mordor and Amon Hen. One of my favorites is the sketch of the Bag End floor plan (with its pantries and cellars that we don�t get to see in the film). There are also sketches of the interior of the Green Dragon Inn (which we never saw on the film but which will hopefully make an appearance on the Special Extended Edition VHS/DVD to be released in November). The COSTUMES chapter shows the various design sketches by Ngila Dickson and Sylvana Sacco. All the main characters (from Frodo to Galadriel to Sauron - as well Gandalf�s pipes!) are featured. Costume designer Ngila Dickson also gives snippets on the influences of the costumes as well as the reasons why certain design themes were chosen (e.g. Boromir�s Gondorian costume is drawn from Byzantine influences and how Legolas� costume was the most difficult to design). The ARMORY section shows all the various swords, daggers, insignias, shields, etc. carried by the characters. Included are Frodo�s mithril shirt and the various armor as worn by Elendil, Elrond and GilGalad in the Prologue. The final chapter, and not the least interesting, is the CREATURES section with its sketches, maquettes, paintings and screenshots of Orcs, Urukhai, the Cave Troll, the Ringwraiths, the Watcher of the Water and the spectacular Balrog. One of the most interesting are the various versions of the Balrog (from more human-like to reptilian to the final version with wings).
What�s wonderful about this book is that it really gives you the essence of the monumental task of bringing the films to life. So many talented individuals collaborated to breath life into Professor Tolkien�s Middle Earth. Mind you, this book isn�t all visuals: each picture is accompanied by the description of the picture, the artist and background information on the picture (e.g. how it was used in the film, why it was rejected, Peter Jackson�s ideas). For instance, on his sketch of the Balrog, John Howe describes why he chose to give the Balrog wings (and Peter Jackson�s response to it). Alan Lee's beautiful paintings and drawings are also showcased in this book.
If you are a fan of the books and/or the film, are interested in art, or enjoy books with lots (and I mean loads) of wonderful visuals, then I couldn�t recommend this book highly enough. I�m already looking forward to The Art of The Two Towers and can�t wait to see what Gary Russell has in store for us in the next couple of years!
on May 30, 2016
This book was not what I expected. If you are a follower of the movies, Memoir might be OK for you.
on November 19, 2002
I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in art (John Howe, Alan Lee and Christian Rivers' pencil sketches and illustrations are just beautiful!), how movies are made (you will not believe what a painstaking process they went through drawing and drawing for almost 5 years just to give us a 3 hours long movie), or just looking for enhancing the pleasure they got from Peter Jackson's beautiful movie, by learning a little more of the details that make Mr. Jackson's movie and J.R.R. Tolkien's book great.
I am not even listing LotR die-hard fans, as I know they wouldn't be able to call themselves die-hard without having this book and be able to sleep at night.
I have a complaint though, altough the book has incredible paintings that will get you excited, after I finished it, I had the feeling that it was not complete. I expected more drawings, more insight from the creators. It also ends abrubtly, you turn a page of Balrog sculpture and it ends. I at least expected a word from the author.
I try to be understanding as I imagine the amount of material they must have and the limitations of putting them together in a readable book, but I can't stop from thinking that this was another marketing strategy, making us buy the latest 5 disc Dvd edition...
on May 24, 2002
Perhaps this book should have been called "Sketchbook of Fellowship of the Ring" because my one disappointment was that, while it does a lovely job of showing preliminary sketches and how ideas evolved, there is very little shown of the finished art; that is, the film itself. What it does, it does beautifully. However, I am still hungry for a museum-quality book that will show details of sets, props and costumes as they actually appeared, but in still form (as opposed to rushing by on screen) so that we can appreciate the details that even multiple viewings of the film can't completely capture. The film itself is Art; the book seems to limit art to sketches/paintings that, lovely or fascinating in themselves, do not do justice to the breadth of art found in the film. Apparently, we need more specific volumes devoted to cinematography and costuming. However, as a sketchbook, this is a lovingly compiled volume, and the cover and endpaper designs are particularly well-chosen.
on November 6, 2002
Not only will it fascinate your guests with its breathtaking scenery and intriguing character/creature sketches, but it'll claim YOU for many delightful hours, as well. I was tremendously excited to find this book, as I have long been John Howe's greatest fan of Tolkien art and this faithfully renders many of his conceptions to life (ah...the balrog...*shudder*). In my opinion the movie's greatest strengths lie in its visual cinematics (utilizing New Zealand and the expertise of talented artists like Lee and Howe) but this book allows you to enjoy delving into Tolkien's Middle-Earth without encountering the infidelity to the original text that has emerged in the film. Besides the red leather collector's edition, this has become my most valued and adored LOTR piece.
on February 18, 2015
As a lover of Lord of the Rings as well as art books, this is great! It gives a lot of drawings from Alan Lee and John Howe, which I love.
The book Came looking like new as described and came well before the expected delivery date. Over all very pleased :)
on September 30, 2008
This book shows readers how the creative process begins. The author makes an effort to show the many creative minds that influenced Peter Jackson in his decisions with the making of Lord of the Rings. The artists' commentaries about the art is a fascinating journey on what influenced them to come up with the design and how they used color and form to produce feeling and mood for the movie. Great read for Lord of the Rings fans and anybody who is interested in the creative process.
on October 13, 2015
Enthusiastic - a Great remembrance of the movies after not watching them for a tad bit!
on May 9, 2013
Love the Lord of the Rings and all the concept art that went into it. I bought this book used and got it for a great deal. The dust cover looked a bit warn, but I didn't mind. The art inside is great! Just wish the book was bigger so I could see more of it!
on November 9, 2015
A very good book with great pictures and info. love it