Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 26, 2016
My wife bought this for me as Xmas gift. The book looks a lot better in person. It's covered with thick transparent plastic sleeve. The Astroboy art on the cover is actually a die-cut thick cardboard sandwiched between the sleeve and red hard cover below it. The title of the book is imprinted on inside the sleeve instead on the red cover. It's definitely a top-notch good quality collector's book. Content wise, it contains massive information about Osamu Tezuka's life and his works from childhood to adulthood. On the backcover is where DVD is stored. It's a behind-the-scene on how Tezuka worked in 1985.

Because they can only fit so much of his works into this book, you will need to stop by The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum in Takarazuka, Hyogo, Japan, and grab some more of his collectable, excellent and hard to find print materials. The museum itself is already worth the visit if you are a big fan like me. I just wish I could read Japanese when I was there. So I highly recommend reading this book first and get an overall idea before you go.

Overall, I love this book. It's well translated and well put together. The pages are all in color and the paper quality is good. It's a must have for Osamu Tezuka fan.
review imagereview imagereview image
One person found this helpful
on December 13, 2012
Amazon had this book on sale for $2.66! An amazing steal! A friend told me about the sale and while I have never been into Manga and don't really know much at all about Osamu Tezuka, I figured for two dollars and sixty six cents, I could afford to learn. It's a lovely book with a heavy duty clear plastic protective cover. The book's contents are also interesting. Focusing on Tezuka's childhood and then moving on to his early work with things like Kimba and then to his more contemporary work with plenty of art and photos befitting a coffe table art book of this sort. I was surprised to find that the book comes with a DVD documentary on Tezuka. It's a fascinating look at his artistic process, how he holds up in a small apartment tenemant in a room with an old record player(on which he plays different records depending on what style of manga he's drawing) and a small television set. No one is allowed to come into his workspace but he allowed remote cameras to be set up to watch him in action. Even though I'm only two thirds of the way finished with the book, I have to say that I am really enjoying it. I can't say I would have been motivated to buy this book had it not been on sale at such a crazy low price. Not knowing anything about Tezuka, I also can't speak to whether or not the author gets is right although it seems like a well written and researched book. However, I can say that this is a quality book and definitely worth the regular asking price of 20 to 30 dollars.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 4, 2016
No question. One of the best values out there. So much for such a good price! This book is a very unique look at Tezuka's legacy and his popularization of highly stylized Manga / Anime for a (then) new generation. The DVD that came with the book offers a quirky but interesting look at Osamu Tezuka in his prime and later years. The book is relevant for lovers of manga as well as for a bit of historical analysis and nostalgia. The "tone" of this book is also interesting in that it offers an unique and at times curious cultural perspective of the Tezuka and his body of work.
on June 4, 2017
Great informational book for the price! I've always had my eyes on this book but I never had gotten the chance whenever I was in my local bookstore. Upon looking this product up and looking at the very nice low price compared to the sixty dollar price tag at the store I ordered almost immediately. This book is not only composed of lovely HD scans of some of Tezuka's work but also some background history. A little DVD was also embedded into the book but I have yet to watch it.
on July 10, 2010
My boyfriend is a huge fan of Osamu Tezuka's Buddha comics series, so I wanted to get him a cool coffee table book that features that comic as well as Astroboy, which he is also a fan of. The book is very comprehensive, detailing Osamu's childhood, his primary sketches, and all the details about the influences on creating his comics. There is also a dvd that accompanies the book. I don't know much about manga, but after flipping through the book, and seeing all the detail, it makes me more appreciative of the art of creating comics. The artist is very skilled and the book is well put together for anyone who is a fan of manga and Tezuka's work.
on December 29, 2011
 Comics, Animation, Cartoons have certain "pockets" of influence. We have Russian, Franco-Belgian, American, British and Japanese.

Japanese animation had great cross cultural influence between other schools, particularly American. Each influenced the other and inspired the other. Japanese animation has a charm like none other.

Tezuka, was a talented artist, whose prolific output in for of graphic novels and Anime, changed the face of Japanese animation.

This book does great justice to the master, its a really really large format book, with a hard bound cover, and a relief cut image of Astro Boy, encased in a plastic dust jacket.

The book walks us through the life of Tesuka, as it happened, through numerous photographs, including from childhood, early drawings, manuscripts, book covers, posters etc from several of his works.

Largely known for his influential character of Astro Boy and the monumental 8 volume work on Buddha, Tezuka's work spans a large range of genre, adventure for kids, science fiction, Spirituality, and later on to experimental subjects. One can learn about his deep love for drawing, his relentless working, and massive creative output.

This is a great study of his life and works, and for someone interested in understanding and appreciating his works, this forms a solid framework and reference.

Towards the end of the book, one can get glimpses of the unfinished works that he was working on during the later parts of his life. Also the photographs and details about the Tezuka Manga Museum is fascinating.

The book also comes with a disc containing interesting documentary information.

Anyone interested in Comics, Animation, Manga, Anime would love this book, and at this steeply discounted price, is there a reason not to get it?!.
2 people found this helpful
on April 23, 2018
Nice, big book and great quality.
on March 5, 2011
This was a great historical reference on the work of Osamu Tezuka. Tons of great info on the creator and his work. The DVD extra was icing on the cake. Large book, well done. My only regret was that I was looking for more of an "art of" type book with sketches, etc. This one is more of a history than an "art of" book. Still a great buy for fans of the "God of Manga."
on November 27, 2013
Incredible book on Tezuka especially the DVD which shows you how driven he was as an artist and the conditions under which he drove himself. Tezuka basically describes his life as hell.
on February 8, 2018
My husband loved it. Came w/ a DVD special as well.