BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(1 star). See all 451 reviews
on December 12, 2014
I bought this book because I really liked the first pages.. that made me think the rest of the book were worth reading, but after the first chapter it turned tedious and repetitive.
on July 3, 2017
Not as good as the reviews.
on January 14, 2014
This book implies that everything you are not is because you have not wished hard enough. I have had some tragedy in my life - wishing won't fix it. People who lost their jobs and fortunes in the recession cannot "transform" the job market to hire them. People in the ghetto would be outraged at the suggestion that life is this easy. The author transformed her life by writing the book, that's for sure. I fired my shrink for recommending this silly fluff.
on September 15, 2016
I want to cancel the order.
on July 17, 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend. It has a few good ideas but the two authors really make themselves sound like miracle workers. It is just amazing how they can totally change people's lives in a 1 hour meeting. Right! On top of that they try to act like their ideas apply to all situations. Using the example of expert musicians throughout gets very tedious, and world class musicians are not not like the average person. It clearly does not apply to the average learning situation. I had the audio version and that is also why I gave it a 1, the authors are the readers and they come across as aloof and superior. I have listened to hundreds of audio books and these readers are perhaps the worst I have heard. They should have paid for professional readers. I would probably give the written version a 2. A very disappointing book. Don't waste your money on this one! Read an article about the authors and you will get everything you need.
Philosophy is defined by the thinking through of the fact that the basis of meaning has become meaningless in the modern era. This book is just one in a long series of all-too-easy books parading around under the label of self-help transformation or leadership development that approaches the legacy problems of utilitarianism and nihilism left to us by the Enlightenment project of reason and progress by offering the most uncreative response to the challenge of nihilism, another metaphysical system. In this case, the metaphysics of possibility. This book is offered as the condition of possibility for meaning, knowledge, totality, pretense, memory and systematicity. It recklessly announces the conditions of possibility for its own intelligibility. It is essential here for this book be the path for evading the radical emptiness at the center of existence. The book advocates a reflective self-awareness to fulfill the conditions of possibility for its own realization. Instead, such awareness should open a level of understanding and relationship to the reality of our human finitude. Basically, this approach constitutes a failure to acknowledge the problem of nihilism by continuing with the old project of metaphysics. What is offered in this book can also be thought of as pre-nihilist and naive metaphysical belief system. We would do better to acknowledge the ambiguity and equivocity of the modern age in terms of historical, political, cultural, social and philosophical grounding and the aporias of this condition with a system of belief in boundless possibility. Why is there this ambiguity in our world? Ambiguity is its own answer. Does this sound ambiguous? Yes, of course, the ambiguous answer is itself a question about ambiguity. It is enough for us to rediscover and acknowledge this ambiguity.

There is something here of being trapped in the very logical form which the authors ask us to twist ourselves free. There is the call for Promethean act of will, an act that only imprisons us more surely in the very logic of will, ego and defeat that we are being coached to escape. This strikes me as either blind or empty. We must recognize that so often the act of overcoming is worse than what is it is we are trying to overcome. Such attempts at overcoming are symptomatic of a reactionary form of modernity with ontological assumptions of social and facile positivity as well as the attitude of optimism, the jargon of resoluteness, the acts of decisiveness and will that leads to the easy acceptance of belief and ideology. This is reckless, the dialectic of change does not provide a free ride. The much-touted can-do outlook and the art of possibility is too easily reproduced as ideology. A positive vision of a reconciled future, given the reality of the human condition, is the most gullible frame of mind easily led down the optimistic laden path of ideology. Possibility is very deceptive. There is the possibility of impossibility as Heidegger saw it and there is also the impossibility of possibility as Levinas saw it. In this book, the possibility of possibility is assumed without ever asking what possibility is or how possibility is even possible. Only by considering that the art of possibility may indeed be impossible are we permitted hope in the possibility of human flourishing.

At one level, I would label this book a hoax but I do not believe the authors are attempting a hoax, they very likely believe in what they have written. The trouble is that what they have written pretends that human beings are not exceedingly limited creatures. This book is endlessly beset with the Promethean myth of overcoming the human condition. There seems to be enormous difficulty in accepting limitedness of the human condition and strong causal deterministic antecedents to which human existence is subject . Life does not proceed with a sense of wonder, it proceeds with a sense of disappointment. This, along with the recognition of meaninglessness should lead to a deeper recognition of the profound limitedness of the human condition and our inherent frailty.

I do apologize for posting this review, I understand that this unworking of possibility injects a heavy dose of skepticism into the art of possibility but this skepticism is a necessary aspect of the manner in which we inhabit the human condition. It is an antidote that acknowledges our limitedness and prevents us from falling in love with the world and walking down the dreamy road of endless possibility.

This is book is not hoax after all, but it is a dream, just a radiantly impossible dream that perhaps slips into a borderline nightmare. Perhaps it would be better if it were a hoax after all.
on February 14, 2013
I bought this book on a recommendation from a friend. I don't think I'm gonna make it through it. I actually think it's so bad it's almost funny. The book recommends giving an A to all students and the people in your life. I don't believe giving all students an A would work for me personally and I've not read any proof that it has worked for the author's students.

Here is an example of what's in the book, which may enlighten you as to whether you would like it. The author's father was fairly absent from her life and she grew up feeling unloved. She decides to believe that her father would/did love her if he had only taken the time to know her. She knows that when she was young she was just making up her reality. Instead of growing up and realizing she really didn't know what her father felt she made up a reality she preferred. Perhaps you have done this, made up a preferred reality. I know in High School we would say that some guy who paid no attention to us would have preferred to go to a dance with us if he'd only known us. Now we thought this was a joke, laughing at how we could rationalize reality in our favor. Why make anything up? The author could just make peace with the reality of not feeling loved doesn't mean you know what your father felt. You can make peace with not getting what you want, and not having things the way you want them. You can even give up wanting things to go the way you want....or you can tell yourself you believe the story you want to tell yourself. If you are able to tell yourself and believe the story that makes you happy then this is a good book for you. If you can only look at the author and say how your father felt about you has more to do with him than you, that you don't know how he felt or would of felt and that regardless of what he did/felt, did and didn't do has no bearing on your value on the planet than this isn't the book for you.
If you want to read this book I wish I could give you mine.
on September 18, 2015
The principles of this book are delusional throughout and worthless especially for entrepreneurs. With exception of a few examples of good conflict resolutions, the principles in this book are so idealistic that it brings me back to the hippy days nostalgia. If you buy into the "Giving an A"
or "Rule Number 6" and a few other concepts, you have been blindfolded; the book is irritating to say the least because it tries to spread the message of idealism and mask the reality of the world. It looks down upon the "calculating self." Really, come on. If it is curiosity that makes you want to read this book, pick it up from the library. It's not worth the paper it's printed on, and the contents' worth have negative value.
on April 8, 2015
I was super disappointed in this book. It came HIGHLY recommended to me by a really good friend in my industry. Unfortunately, I am not a musician and understand nothing about music. Every reference or story that Zander told in the book was in relation to the art of music (not possibility). It really bored me and I could not find anything to relate to.
on March 1, 2014
Great read if you want to hear someone gloat about their ingeniousness . The male side of this tandem effort seemed more intent on being the message then the messenger. I ditched the book as I got tired of having him in my house.