Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,916 reviews(5 star). See all 4,767 reviews
on December 29, 2015
I've read at least a half dozen different translations and interpretations of this classic; I find the Denma Translation Group's interpretation and explanation to be heads and shoulders above anything else I've seen. I have read this from cover to cover at least a dozen times over the years and each time I re-read a particular section, I find new ways of "seeing" the way the "world works" and new light is shined on the Tao. Everything about this book is outstanding!
20 people found this helpful
on January 18, 2017
I was wondering what the BIG DEAL of this book was. Many business people have read it and address it as a business book.

I found it free on amazon and of course, I downloaded it. Boy! Am I glad I did.

The beginning was a bit scary for me. Let me not spoil it for you, but if you read it, you will understand why.

For those on business, get this right: if the vision and mission of the organization are clear, but the members or employees are not acting accordingly, the leadership is to blame, and MUST be FIRED, or maybe worse...
5 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2018
The Art of War is a 5 star piece of literature. I would recommend one perform an internet search for what are the best recommended translations. Not just the best translation but the type of translation. This one may or may not be the translation type that suits you. This translation was not at the top of the recommendations (but it was up there). That it comes with audio CDs of it is a plus. I've given each of my children The Art of War when they graduated from college. This one seems like the appropriate translation for my #2 son.(my 3rd and last).
3 people found this helpful
on August 20, 2016
Pretext: I will not be critiquing translations, I have no basis.

This book is aesthetically A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. The binding is ribbon bound over its hard spine. The pages are thick and printed in the style of the Ming Dynasty where two pages are printed on one long sheet and folded backwards so that the result looks like double paged pages ( I am including pictures for better clarification). The words are clear, crisp and the opposite paged translations results in just a superb layout.

I've seen other reviews voice concern about the order of the chapters, however, I am not aware if that is an issue in my version as the chapters are numbered in Chinese, so I just get to enjoy each chapter as it comes.

To say I am pleased is an understatement.
review imagereview imagereview image
45 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 10, 2016
This book is fantastic. The quality is superb. The cover of the book is almost like a thread-like material with a reflective sheen to it. The book just screams for attention if it's just lying around, it would always catch the eyes of my guests as I had it laying about the house during my reading of it. It has now since been put away in the bookshelves, but even still, if there's any amount of light it will make the spine glow as well. The gold inlay is also very striking and also reflects a lot of light.

The paper stock is very high quality as well. With thick glossy pages, a nice easy to read bold font, and a built in thin black satin or nylon bookmark strap. (I'm not sure of the actual material of the little bookmark strap, but it should give a visual.)

The book itself is a very fast read. I like all of the annotations from the other readers of the work, generals, and philosophers. I also like the history lesson preceding the actual part of the book "The Art of War".

I have never read any other versions or translations of this book, but I do think that this is a fine place to start.

I think most people looking at this book probably know the general idea of what is contained inside, but it is a book about the strategies and philosophies of war. Much can be extracted and applied to life situations today, even if you are not involved in a war. There is a reason that the book remains so timeless and popular.

I also recommend reading this book if you are into real time strategy games, such as Starcraft or Starcraft II, as this will improve your game. In a situation like this then the book literally applies to what you are doing, which is waging war on your opponent with an army.
on July 31, 2017
Sometimes it is better to read the unadulturated version without historical context and some "experts" opinion. It makes you delve into you brain and decide for yourself in what manner it applies to you. THAT'S what the human species does. What happened 2500 years ago my not apply to YOU. I am very happy I purchased the version without commentary and context. IMHO...in MY case. it works. I understand there those who will disagree with me, but that is what being human is all about. Read, enjoy, grok.
on June 18, 2013
I bought both books....the one here mentioned and the one I previously reviewed as his.

It does not matter as both are the same type of writing...that of Sun Tzu....and extremely important for us Westerners to know about.

To the Asian mind bent on war and winning: a promise means nothing. Winning is everything and the devious Asian mind has patience, has zeal, has a whole different set of values from that of the Westerner with our sense of "honor." If we have given our word, a promise to what has been agreed, we feel "honorbound" to follow through on it.

The Asian mind would not, for example, take time off in World War II for Christmas as a time not to fight. The Asian mind would not comprehend this.

If the goal is to win, ruthlessness is considered honorable. Winning is what it is all about and the Japanese at the end of World War II are a good example. Having "lost face" at that time, they turned to business, entrepreneur-ship, if you wish to call it something....and determine to "win the war of business."

They succeeded immeasurably. They started with textiles as the least costly materials (cotton) and cheap labor. Once they acquired the capital, they put their money into developing transistors....remember the first transistor radios?
Eventually even one with the name General Electric (if you looked inside, it said "Made in Japan."

Next they used the capital gained from these world-wide sales to develop television sets.

Next they went into the computer business.

Somewhere in this mix they developed cars totally superior to our American planned-to-rust-out cars and no longer did our cars not start or fall apart in a short time. We have only our American businessmen to thank for their poor quality and cutting corners in quality.

The Art of War.......an invaluable read....by everyone. Now.

Nancy Morse
5 people found this helpful
on December 27, 2015
I have managed to wear out several printed copies of Sun Tzu over the years. While the book IS about war--about forming and implementing strategies, and drawn from real life experience, Sun Tzu's lessons can be applied effectively in any life situation involving 2 or more people--the more adversarial, the better LOL. Sun Tzu has stood by me through thick and thin--his sage advice has made a big difference in my personal approach to business deals, handling employees, dealing with various professionals from a subservient position--even dealing with pushy doctors and controlling ex spouses.

Sun Tzu is about LIFE. Because like it or not, life isn't fair, it isn't always fun, and some times--you need to be able to be assertive without being aggressive, and you have to be willing to be adversarial to get what you need. This is a worthwhile read for ANYONE--both from an advice and tactics point of view, AND for the clarity of style, turn of phrase, and excellent use of metaphor. I have yet to run into a BAD translation of Tzu, and this one was no exception.
One person found this helpful
on August 12, 2015
This guy was light years ahead of his time.

His battles depended on mostly tactics based on what the weather conditions were, and what form of territory and environment you're in, and to ration your army's energy during a battle, and when to fight and when not to. (It's a damn good thing that Hitler didn't do his homework on this.)
And basically show that the rules of war is, was, and always will be, BS.

His tactics are still put to good use even to this very day, thou it's original intention was for future wars, but it's put into practice for other means. For instance, football coaches, company managers, even the great Bobby Fisher took a few tips from this guy's book.

So in retrospect, technology and engineering may have completely obliterated the dynamics of the rules of war, but the art is still the same.
on October 17, 2016
 “The Art of War” is a legendary treatise on military strategy and tactics. Written by Chinese military strategist Sun Tzu around 500 B.C., this work is studied in military colleges and business schools. “The Art of War” contains 13 chapters pertaining to different aspects of warfare.

I purchased the hardcover Arcturus slip-case edition, which uses the translation by Lionel Giles. It is a beautiful book with lots of attractive illustrations, gold-embossed lettering on the cover, and the slip-case should protect the book for decades to come.

There are lots of editions of “The Art of War” available on Amazon, so I suggest you double-check to make sure you are ordering the hardcover Arcturus edition with the slip-case.

[...]