Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Artful Paper Dolls: New Ways to Play with a Traditional Form
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon August 26, 2006
I waited eagerly for this book to be published, as I have been fascinated with the art paperdoll phenomenon on eBay and elsewhere (Claudine Hellmuth's "poppets," for example). This book has more than satisfied my hopes. The author, Terry Taylor, has organized the book in an unusual way, mixing three main elements throughout - the history of paper dolls, fabulous art dolls made by himself and other artists, and projects one can do oneself at any skill level. Instead of plowing through the obligatory history chapters before getting to the inspirational part, the book slides a brief but solid history of paper dolls in with the contemporary art and the project ideas.

It is lavishly illustrated, all on glossy paper, and it is astonishing that the publisher could produce the book at this low price. You'd expect a paperback, but this is a solid hardcover. Everybody I've shown it to became engrossed in paging through it, whether they were interested in paper dolls to begin with or not.

Taylor has a wonderful presence, too; his voice is so friendly and funny. "If you never made a paper doll chain, I suggest - no, I insist - that you stop right here. Gather several sheets of paper and grab some scissors (but don't run with them)" he advises the reader before giving instructions on making a chain of paper dolls. You feel like you have the most fun high-school art teacher who infectiously loves his subject, and he's going to make sure you feel good about your own artistic vision, and that you learn everything you need to know as you go along.

This is one of the best of the recent art how-to books that I've read, and I adore the author. I'll read his other books just to enjoy more of this talented and interesting guy.
on January 14, 2007
Honestly, I have not tried any of the art projects from this book yet, but I know that someday I will. However, that said, it is still a really cool book to have! I keep it on my coffee table, and find myself flipping through the pages quite often just for fun and enjoyment. It is a must for a paperdoll collector (like me), as well as for anyone interested in altered art and/or collage. Nice book to add to your collection!
on February 19, 2007
Great book, I have recently begun creating and trading artdolls and ATC artdolls and this book is full of ideas and techniques. Also includes patterns for some paperdolls. I think this book is great for beginner crafters as well as those persons interested in paperdolls.
on October 19, 2006
This book is both inspiring and practical. Many, many wonderful pictures to look at for inspiration and patterns for creating your own! I have already dog eared my pages!!
on February 1, 2008
I adore this book. First, it was so much fun to read. Second, it made me so happy just to see the stuff. I am just starting to use paper doll images in my work and wanted a little "push," but didn't expect so much info and inspiration. The writing was clear and concise and the photography and artwork easy to see and understand. Terry has a terrific voice and such affection for her subject. Even if you don't have a paper doll "thing", if you use images of women, or people in general, in your work, you could get some ideas from just looking at the kind of stuff featured. The work is original, and amusing. I think (being a bit sexist) that this would make a great book for a woman friend, even if she isn't an artist. Almost all of us played with paper dolls at one time and this is a sophisticated why to relive that experience.
on January 26, 2009
If you love paper dolls, or are just interested in learning more about them, this is a great book for both. The author gives short history snippets at the beginning of the chapters which creates a well-rounded history of paper dolls.

The book is divided into four topics: paper dolls, dresses, houses, and paper doll books. Each topic contains great ideas along with big, full-color photos. Some of the paper doll and clothes ideas are kinda weird, but hey, it's art (and it's about time people realized that paper dolls are an art form.)

There are lots of ideas for creating your own paper dolls, and they range in all kinds of styles. One really cute idea deals with scanning computer parts into a computer and then using the scanned images to create a paper doll that looks like a weird, but very cute, robot paper doll. This is just one of the wonderful and highly unique ideas that the author includes in this book.

Of course, these aren't all Taylor's ideas - he shares the spotlight with other skilled, paper doll artists. This gives a diversity of artwork, dolls, and paper doll "art books" for readers to examine and get inspiration and ideas from. The author also includes several paper doll templates at the back of the book.

This book is so much more then just about the Ken-and-Barbie-type paper dolls you see in stores, its about REAL paper doll art. If you like making paper dolls and are looking for ways to expand your paper doll horizons, get this book.
on October 2, 2006
Beautiful examples, innovative approaches and inspiring photos. Get it, you won't be sorry!
on August 4, 2006
This book is even more than I expected. I only received it a couple days ago, but can tell that I will have hours of enjoyment and inspiration. Beautiful images and stories - I truly love it!
on April 28, 2008
I have always like toying in an artsy way with paper and images, and this is one of the greatest books I have seen for generating ideas and showing some techniques and approaches to paper collages, diaramas, collages. I had first gotten this at the library and loved it- knew it was worth owning. It has lots of different ideas and approaches, and I am glad to own it so I can peruse it from time to time for ideas and just for pleasure- I highly recommend this book!
on May 18, 2008
What a fun book! I truly enjoyed the journey from dolls I have played with in my lifetime to experimental ways to play with the idea of a paper doll. It is fun, and an inspiration. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves paper dolls, or really to anyone who just wants to play with dolls as an art form.