Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

As a Man Thinketh
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 24, 2016
I am well educated by modern western standards - I have a masters degree in electrical engineering, and a masters degree in business (MBA)...I am middle-aged so I have had plenty of time to witness life on earth...I was also in the US Navy at an early age...I hope this gives you a context for my review........I have to honestly say, without any reservation, from the bottom of my heart - that this is the single MOST IMPORTANT book - rather EDUCATION - of my entire life...Nothing else comes close....If you are seeking true happiness, inner peace, would like to really internalize "why you are here", this is the best work around....If you want to learn how to deal with your resentment, prejudices, and maybe most-importantly, ego - this book will do it for you. And if you don't think you have any of these issues - perhaps you need this book even more!...This book goes beyond formal religion (which I do not partake in), beyond meditation (which I've practiced for ~30 years), and beyond the Bible (which I've read but didn't really "internalize")....I am about half way through the lessons (this is the part you should focus on - the other parts are optional), and I look forward every morning to reading a new lesson - or internalizing the previous lesson...I like this book so much I am going to give out about 7 copies for the holiday's to family and friends......And for any of you with significant health challenges (like me) - what you learn from this book will help you.....Start with lesson one, practice each lesson, have patients, and before you know it - you will see the light....As far as some of the reviews on here that were not so kind, I will not pass judgment of these folks - but wish them well in there journey to "seeing the light".
253 helpful votes
254 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on December 6, 2013
The most shocking thing you'll notice if you open A Course In Miracles is the deceivingly pretentious introduction that never fails to spark intrigue.

And by that I mean, ahem!... Check out the first five sentences...

"This is a course in miracles. It is a required course. Only the time you take it is voluntary. Free will does not mean that you can establish the curriculum. It means only that you can elect what you want to take at a given time."

Required?

The only choice is when I take it at any-given-time?

And yet, there is enormous wisdom in it.

It takes browsing a few pages to realize that actually, it is required, because it is the only spiritual message there is.

It is the same message we hear from anyone that has ever grown into spiritual high levels and tried to tell us how to join them. It is the way.

Yes, there is a heavy "Christian" tone to the book. BUT, to my surprise, and unlike the stories I heard in both, catholic-elementary AND catholic-high-school (such was my luck) --- this book interprets things correctly.

For example... take a contentious phrase, something like: "revenge is mine".

Can you imagine how someone can 'interpret' that to a captivated audience of easily scared listeners? or, worse, can you imagine the reaction of someone who may be furious and stumbling on such a page?

It could be dangerous.

But the book makes the meaning clear, at least for me..... this is what it says (I paraphrase):

Revenge is mine means you NEVER take revenge. You do the right thing, but you do not take revenge because the results of the actions of s/he, whom you perceive as your perpetrator, are NOT up to you, but up to a higher power.

Phew!

Early this year I took to A Course In Miracles again and found gems within it. I wanted to share some of the most interesting ones with you.

Here they are:

1.- INFINITE PATIENCE DELIVERS IMMEDIATE RESULTS

The first time I read this one I laughed. I mean, c'mon! Immediate results, oh yeah, ha ha ha.

I decided I to put it to the test, that very day. I needed to open a new bank account, and I knew these things take forever. Also I kind of needed it to work because I was already late for work. So I wanted it to work.

When the bank representative asked for the usual documents and apologized for the computer being slow, I took it as a sign. I said to myself: infinite patience delivers immediate results. Then...

I said to him: "Take your time. No rush at all". (I was sweating inside)

But I meant it.

The account was open within 12 minutes (I tracked it). I've never seen that happen in a NYC bank before. I was early for work.

You see, the thing with this spell is that it has magic in it: it removes "time" from the equation.

The first part has the word "infinite" in it: We are outside of time, no beginning, no end, NO TIME.
That in turn, is coupled with "patience", which is a human demonstration of infinity.

The second part has the word "immediate" in it, which means NOW. NO TIME. And it is coupled with the word "result", meaning: something happens, NOW.

NO TIME = INFINITY = NO TIME = SOMETHING HAPPENS NOW.

And all we had to do was have an open mind and remember the affirmation.

Stepping into the present with an open heart (as you would if you really wanted it to work), gives you an advantage...

You are operating from infinity.

Try it. You tell me.

2.- A MIRACLE IS A SHIFT IN PERCEPTION

The power of an alchemist lies not in turning dust into gold. That is just a metaphor to show the strength of the mind that lies behind such a miracle.

A real miracle is one that happens when in spite of desperation, hurt, defeat, bankruptcy, we still shift our perception from lack, to abundance.

We have our feet on the ground, we know where we are, but we also trust the infinite force that is keeping us alive right now, and we know we are abundant, in this moment, because we are here.

How is that for a miracle?

The Course in Miracles re-defines the meaning of a 'miracle' as something quite mundane which we can do only if we are strong enough.

Why do we need to be strong enough? Because changing our habits is not easy.

Looking at a situation in a different light requires humility. We need to feel the fire of anger, let it go, and re-open our minds for new possibilities.

The stuff of alchemists...

3.- I DON'T PERCEIVE MY OWN BEST INTERESTS

This one blew my mind right of its skull.

I mean, how true is that? Give it a minute, let it sink in.

There is a story of that enlightened monk who, one night, gets a visit from the parents of the teen-age girl that lives next door.

The parents are furious, and they accuse him of getting their daughter pregnant. They tell him he will have to look after the baby. And that they will tell everyone in the village. That he is a fraud.

The monk says: Is that so?

No reaction. He is aware that he does not perceive his own best interests.

The baby is born. He takes care of it. And the monk's reputation is ruined, of course.

A year later the parents come back and apologize, they tell him their daughter confessed that the child was fathered by the butcher. And, that they want the baby back.

The monk says: Is that so?

The baby goes back to his parents.

The monk's reputation is restored. Further, perhaps he now becomes a legend.

We are talking about it now.

The story survives because there is truth in it.

---

How does that introduction I told you about in the beginning continue? Check out the next two lines...

"The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love, for that is beyond what can be taught. It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love's presence, which is your natural inheritance."

And removing the veils to our awareness is what we do in our practice every day.

Here is to YOU, Dear Veils: Take your time to clear yourselves from my perception.

Take all the time you need...

I have infinite patience...
283 helpful votes
284 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on December 25, 2016
This book was a complete life change for me. My entire life I have always been moody, emotionally unstable, tossed to and fro by my thoughts, bubbling with enthusiasm one moment and then sulking in a stupor the next. My last relationship was destroyed by such a mindset. Although I had ideas of what had gone wrong, this book eloquently expounded on ideas that I had vague thoughts of, but was unable to put into words. The first time I was able to put the knowledge I learned from this book into practice was a emotionally explosive moment as I realized that I finally was able to control my thoughts and take a hold of my mind. Would highly recommend this book to any and all.
82 helpful votes
83 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 3, 2015
This review is not intended to encourage one to study A Course In Miracles (ACIM), there are better reviews that can do that. My purpose in this review is to encourage looking at the available versions before committing. I started into ACIM several years ago with the edition published by The Foundation for Inner Peace (FIP) which helped me tremendously in my spiritual journey, I grew in leaps and bounds. If there were nothing else available I highly recommend the ACIM FIP version. I will also recommend the ACIM FIP version for those attending work groups that mostly use the FIP version, because it makes it simpler to follow along. If one can afford, I feel it is worth owning both versions: FIP version for classes; and the Original Edition for a greater understanding of the first eight or so chapters which are the bedrock for an in depth understanding of ACIM.

It seems note worthy to point out that I've seen claims that ACIM Original Edition contains personal information that was never intended to be published. This is not accurate. It is the ACIM URTEXT Manuscripts (also available on Amazon) that contains personal information, not the ACIM Original Edition. The ACIM URTEXT Manuscripts are very difficult to follow and possibly made more difficult because of the personal information. I've read very little of the URTEXT, BUT, the URTEXT states that it was Bill Thetford that was to do the editing, not Helen Schucman. From what I could find, without too much time invested, the ACIM Original Edition is closest to, if not exactly what, Bill Thetford was involved in editing. The ACIM FIP version was significantly edited by I believe Ken Wapnick and possibly with Helen Schucman's help. It appears to me that Bill Thetford was not at all involved with the ACIM FIP version.

I believe anyone that reads both the ACIM Original Edition and the ACIM FIP version will come to the same conclusion that I have, that being the ACIM Original Version is superior. I've been studying with the ACIM Original Edition for well over a year now and have just in the past few days purchased another copy of ACIM Original Edition for my wife who is now desiring a better understanding than her ACIM FIP version offers.

As said before, if nothing else is available get the ACIM FIP version. If you are only going to purchase a single version and planning on attending classes, find out which version the class is using. Also noteworthy: ACIM is intended for self study. In my mind ACIM Original Edition is the absolute best version for self study, the additional material in the first eight or so chapters is worth having available.

Hope this helps?
64 helpful votes
65 helpful votes
on June 17, 2016
In some way this small work seems to bridge between philosophy, spirituality and cognitive science. Despite the language used and the air of self-help indulgence popularized be Allen and others at the turn of the century past.
For a more current perspective, tempered by two world wars, and a world transformed by rapid technological advances, some of the ideas put forth might seem rather quaint. Nevertheless much of the emphasis on cognitive process remains a very current topic for careful consideration.
on April 29, 2016
This is a great read. I know it is short, but it is a little tricky to understand some of the wording, as it was written in 1902. I had to reread some of the lines to completely comprehend what he was saying, but it still only took me about and hour and a half to read the whole thing. My brain was a little tired after about 15 pages, so I took a 20 min. break and came back to it. I will be incorporating it in to my homeschooling curriculum for my teens, as well. It has great insight into human behavior and my kids could benefit from it greatly, as I and my hubby have already,
5 helpful votes
on March 12, 2017
Both this and "Man's Search for Meaning" need to be necessary reading to be a human. I don't believe in everything in here, but the sentiment is enough to inspire and uplift the most troubled soul.
on April 1, 2016
As A Man Thinketh was written in 1903 by James Allen (1864-1912), a British, philosophical author of essays, short books and poetry, a pioneer in inspirational, self-help writings. From the working class and devoid of extensive education, he wrote 19 works in nine years, endlessly republished (often as chapbooks, i.e., mini-pocket books) by myriad publishers. Many of Allen’s works resonate today among the best-selling inspirational books of all time – and can be found in Amazon Books. As A Man Thinketh is his best known work, a classic that can benefit anyone, regardless of age, race, faith, education or cultural background. His wife said, “He wrote what he proved by practice.” Most of us could dramatically improve our circumstances and lives by re-reading it (in the hour or two that it takes) at least once a year and REQUIRE our children and grandchildren to do the same, a rare and inspirational gem.
22 helpful votes
23 helpful votes
on June 8, 2017
I have always wondered about life, and feared that I was wasting my time by going over and above to assist others, only because so many times people just could care less about being kind.

Customer service was my first love, it never disappointed me. Even when I didn't quite get it right, I learned from the experience and also learned that, if I always remained sincere in serving others with pure intentions, my passion to serve others would always be my saving grace! As a product of the foster care system, the very moment I started reading this book, I knew that my true passion in life to serve others and to teach people how to serve past their pain was going to happen because I just can't get away from it. As a Man Thinketh, is inspiring, ever so awesome, and it has changed my life, for forever!

I have been tosseling with now and future, and after hanging out with James Allen, I now know that my future will be great because my thoughts and intentions are pure, my heart is open, my love for people is unwavering, and my will is to do good no matter what!
1 helpful vote
2 helpful votes
on August 23, 2014
More people need to take heed to what James is trying to convey in this short but very powerful little book. But as he said - "Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound. The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to accomplish the object upon which his heart is set. This is as true of earthly as of heavenly things." Self-crucifixion starts with why one believes what they do, then be willing to crucify those beliefs if they do not serve. People need to wake up the the amazing things they are, the unlimited power within them and take control of mind and emotion.