Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2010 3:15:45 PM PST
Does anyone know if this phrase on the box refers to Doctor Who in general, or the specific edit of the features on these discs?

I know BBC America typically edits Doctor Who episodes for runtime in America so the commercials will fit, but they've butchered some of the previous specials. "Voyage of the Damned" was actually missing key plot points when it aired in the US, and I'm worried they may have done the same with Tennant's final episodes.

I'd like to think the Region 1 DVD releases would contain the full edit of the shows as seen on BBC, but does anyone know for sure?

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 12:15:03 AM PST
Ian M. Perge says:
I think the "As seen on BBC America" is simply to hype the channel and it's existence... and even for the edits that bother me as well, it *is* nice to have both UK shows we here in the US would never have the chance to see, as well as show that we would have hunted for on PBS back in the day. I know the BBC America/Sci-Fi airings have been edited down since at least Series 3, as when I viewed "The Master" trilogy on DVD I noticed *several* scenes not aired on TV that were fairly important to the plot. Also, "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End" series finale are missing a LARGE amount of scenes in the "American Edits", as those episodes went over on time *in the UK* and had to get waivers from the BBC, thus increasing the amount of scenes that would have to be cut for the BBCA/Sci-Fi.

...so while I can't confirm about the editing for the Specials, I can certainly confirm that regular season episodes have been edited for airing while the "standard" full BBC versions have appeared on the DVD release. Hope this is of some help!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 7:12:11 PM PDT
book fiend says:
Hi there. I have developed a Dr. Who addiction and was a little ticked to discover that BBC America edits the episodes. What bothers me more is that I wouldn't have known if I wasn't trolling around the discussions. I thought they were the original eps., in all their glory. So, my question is about your last statement. The full original episodes are on the US dvd releases? Do I have that right? Or do I need to get the dvd's from the UK?
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 11:04:58 PM PDT
Ian M. Perge says:
Having seen and compared several of the episodes and Specials on both BBC American/SciFi as well as the DVD versions of the same, I can confirm that the Region 1 DVDs contain the *full* episodes and Specials and not the aired edited versions. This most likely has to do with the statement above regarding the extended version being able to get "waivers" from the BBC, whereas the same in the US is extremely rare (a few Battlestar Galactica episodes were able to get 10-15 minute extensions when aired on Sci-Fi, but this was typically only for Season and Series Finales and not for seasonal episodes)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 4:05:33 PM PDT
mattack says:
Basically *all* reruns of shows are edited for more commercial time. That's why, with very few exceptions (like missing ONE episode of a show that is very very rarely rerun and is not on DVD), I don't watch reruns.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2010
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions